advanced search

Username:    Password:   

yingling!   
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ami

PostPosted: Wed, 01.26.05 9:40 pm    Post subject: yingling! Reply with quote

so... if one was to go to spain for say, 4-6 weeks or so, over the summer... where would one go, in your opinion??

would appreciate some advice.

kiwi
yingling

PostPosted: Thu, 01.27.05 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4-6 weeks? study abroad, or what? do you want to live at the beach? these are important questions. northern spain is on the mar cant?°brica, with mountains that divide it from the rest of the country. it is generally chilly there, about 10-15 C year round. Um.. The Mediterranean climate is nice, and will be hot in the summer (and humid.. pretty arkansas-y). That includes Barcelona, the 2nd biggest city. Madrid and the rest of the center is freakin hot in the summer. the south (region of andaluc??a) has pretty towns and flamenco dancing, bullfights, etc.

so yeah your pick, depending on what you´re looking for.. madrid, barcelona, and valencia are the three biggest cities. alicante is nice for the beach but doesn´t have that great of transportation to the rest of the country, except by bus.

were you looking for/at anything in particular?

http://yinglingr.blogspot.com
rachel_lea21

PostPosted: Thu, 01.27.05 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Seville was beautiful, as well.
Ami

PostPosted: Fri, 01.28.05 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... i'm hoping to go study abroad there for 4 weeks so long as I get some funding.. I was thinking I would prefer to stay in a bigger city and travel to the smaller ones. I guess the places I'm interested in are Barcelona, Madrid and Seville because people have recommended them to me. I thought Barcelona would be good because of its location, if I wanted to travel to the south of France too, which I would love to do, it might be easier. But then, there is that whole catalan thing which slightly worries me:) Madrid is very central which is good too and I know a lot of people from there, I'm thinking I'll enjoy it wherever I go so I should just go with what works for me best, time-wise, $-wise etc..

thanks for the advice! it's great to have an expert on call Wink
rachel_lea21

PostPosted: Sat, 01.29.05 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barcelona is pretty...and has Italian gelato...and great museums, and Gaudi? architecture. And it's well situated to travel from. But, I was only in the country for 4 days. I had some great tapas and red wine in Barcelona, as well.
Ian

PostPosted: Sun, 01.30.05 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend Malaga, though it would be god-awfully hot in the summer.
yingling

PostPosted: Sun, 01.30.05 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... i´ve been to barcelona, madrid, and sevilla. sevilla is a city in the region of andaluc??a i mentioned earlier, where flamenco originates. it´s got some beautiful stuff to do, and there seem to be a lot of students there. the university i saw (no clue if there´s more than one) was very centrally located. also, you can buy jelly from midget nuns at convents, which was fun.
barcelona and madrid are big cities. they both have easily-navegable metro systems. if you´re a modern architecture buff, by all means, go there. people will tell you about anywhere you go that pickpocketing is bad. you just have to watch your shit, common sense.
madrid is connected best to the rest of the country, since when they made it the capital city they built the railroad, and almost everything radiates from there. it is very hot in the summer, but there are some mountains near. no beach though. (barcelona is on the coast, and sevilla is about 60km from the closest coast).
of the three, sevilla is probably my favorite, but i´m not a big ass city kind of person, being from winslow, ar.

oh and barcelona and madrid both have great museums, and you can find gelato everywhere. and sevilla is close to portugal.

http://yinglingr.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: