advanced search

Username:    Password:   

Oscar highlights   
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMarsh

PostPosted: Mon, 05.02.05 10:06 pm    Post subject: Oscar highlights Reply with quote

ultivillage.com has UBC vs. UW highlights from sectionals. Check highlights 4,5, and definitely 7 for clips of Oscar (#25), who should finish in the top three for this year's Callahan award.

-- Nick Drake/William Blake
JMcGee

PostPosted: Mon, 05.02.05 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read and heard this guy is the real deal, but I think the highlights you posted besides #7 are pretty mediocre. I want to see more of this guy, find me more highlights. Also, do you think this guy is better than Tank? Whose your Callahan favorite? Daniel, Ajax, Jody, LS...
DMarsh

PostPosted: Tue, 05.03.05 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Oscar's 21 years old and he has been a starting o-line handler for Furious for several years. He has won: UPA Club Championships Open (twice) - Furious George, Worlds Open (in Finland), Worlds Juniors (in Latvia), Canadian Nationals, Canadian Juniors, Canadian University Ultimate Champion '01 & '03, Freshman of the Year (NW, '02), and was the Canadian University Ultimate Championship MVP in '01. He is the alternate handler for Canada's 2005 World Games team, which only has 6 guys.

So yes, Oscar is the real deal and better than Tank.

The video's poor quality doesn't do him justice... those hammers are huge and picture perfect. Here's another video clip of him against Stanford. Take note that his first throw is left-handed. He has game-ready left-handed backhands and scoobers.

His game is more than just solid and complete, it's superior in almost every regard. He's short - 5'7" (edit - 5'9"), but he's more athletic than any of the college players in the South (except Joe Vaughn). I think he could practically shut-down every player on LS except Nick deep.

I've never seen it, but word on the street is that he's a Richter killer, and I believe it.

He's definitely Callahan material, but so is Zip and Seth Wiggins. Oscar is just a junior, so his name will be associated with the Callahan for years to come.

If you're still dying for more Oscar pictures, take a look at the back of your UPA card.

Last edited by DMarsh on Thu, 05.05.05 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
DMarsh

PostPosted: Tue, 05.03.05 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be surprised if UBC plays Colorado for the trophy, and man o' man I would hate to miss the Richter/Oscar match-up. My money would definitely be on Oscar, but it would be quite a show.

Is anyone else going to Oregon to watch Nationals? I'll be there as long as UBC doesn't choke at Regionals.

RBill

PostPosted: Wed, 05.04.05 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man i thought you guys were talking about THE oscars. jim carrey was snubbed for sure.
Monster

PostPosted: Wed, 05.04.05 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, if richter can hang with oscar, then oscar can't hang with tank, cause richter is easier to guard than tank. mmmmmmm, logic.
jwillgoesfast

PostPosted: Wed, 05.04.05 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wasnt that impressed with richter when we played them, but i was impressed by that one tall jumpey guy, who was the first person i've ever seen/met that could get over nick...the only one! (and maybe he just got lucky)
DMarsh

PostPosted: Thu, 05.05.05 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes Richter special is that he doesn't get rattled and bigger the stage the better he plays. Plus his cockiness intimidates his opponents and turns them into rubbish.

I didn't say Richter could hang with Oscar... I actually said the opposite... and I also said that Tank can't hang with Oscar...

kdoe

PostPosted: Thu, 05.05.05 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but tank doesn't need to hang with oscar as he is mostly an offensive player. Can oscar stay with tank is the question. I don't think he will stop tank from getting open .
DMarsh

PostPosted: Thu, 05.05.05 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you guys will never believe me until you see Oscar play. If you can't make college Nationals, then maybe you can just catch him during the open final at Sarasota.

Oh yeah, and if you have video footage of the 2002 semi of DoG vs. Furious, Oscar lays out with his defender (fellow Callahan contender Zip from Brown) and grabs the game winner (17-16).

Tank and Oscar are both great players, so this matter may never be settled, especially since they're both predominately o-line players.

The guy from ultivilllage.com is banking on UBC winning nationals, so he's going to be shooting lots of Oscar footage this weekend at NW regionals.

Supafunky

PostPosted: Thu, 05.05.05 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-Will, you should probably avoid judging your opponents top levels when you never challenged them and they still kicked your ass.

True greatness is shown when people have to rise up to challenges. Richter didn't do much against us at Fools Fest, but he didn't really need to did he?
DMarsh

PostPosted: Thu, 05.05.05 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Jody. It reminds me of the time some Vanderbilt guy called me out on RSD as not being all-region material because I didn't impress him during our game against them at regionals. I remember the game well. We won 15-1 and I hardly played, and when i did I was passive so that others could get some action.

DMarsh

PostPosted: Thu, 05.05.05 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Mike Grant (Furious captain and #1 stud) who he thinks should win this year's Callahan. He's played against/with Wiggins, Oscar, and Zip many times. He says Oscar because he's great at everything, whereas Zip and Wiggins are only great as lane cutters and lane defenders. Oscar can play and defend any position and he's got every throw in the book and some.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: