advanced search

Username:    Password:   

need to avoid contact ... here's why:    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fluffy

PostPosted: Fri, 07.13.07 1:11 pm    Post subject: need to avoid contact ... here's why: Reply with quote

Dickie Poole was seriously injured last night during Ultimate Summer League play in Little Rock.
His nose is broken and he has multiple breaks in his checkbone. But worst of all is his right eye socket, which was crushed and will need to be rebuilt using a surgicially inserted plate.

this occured on a PULL where the defender thought he could get a D on the first pass, but apparently only applied full sprint knee force to a cheek instead.

I hope everyone realizes what can happen when people do not respect
the "non-contact" elements of the sport, and the need to "avoid
contact in every way possible", which is explicit in the 11th edition. Sad
RandomHero

PostPosted: Fri, 07.13.07 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: need to avoid contact ... here's why: Reply with quote

fluffy wrote:
Dickie Poole was seriously injured last night during Ultimate Summer League play in Little Rock.
His nose is broken and he has multiple breaks in his checkbone. But worst of all is his right eye socket, which was crushed and will need to be rebuilt using a surgicially inserted plate.

this occured on a PULL where the defender thought he could get a D on the first pass, but apparently only applied full sprint knee force to a cheek instead.

I hope everyone realizes what can happen when people do not respect
the "non-contact" elements of the sport, and the need to "avoid
contact in every way possible", which is explicit in the 11th edition. Sad

Joy, as much as I completely agree with you on the non contact part of ultimate and I obviously don't want anyone to be hurt playing ultimate, but I also don't think making people feel bad about playing hard isn't the way to go either.

I personally feel that this sport is moving in a positive direction now and it's not because of people playing like pussies and prancing around the field calling endangerment calls all over the place. I think this sport is moving in the right direction because of people going out playing hard and giving it their all... yes some body will get hurt playing ultimate but that's the nature of the game (or any game for that matter) if you're that worried about getting hurt then sit on the sidelines and watch. I think the defender mentioned above should definitely learn when he should lay out and when he shouldn't but his aggressive run down on D mentality is what this sport needs to grow... I don't understand why (and I'm not saying this is exactly what you're doing but...) you are trying to make it sound like he's a bad guy in this situation... he didn't want to hurt anyone he just made a hard play (albeit a stupid play, which hopefully he'll learn the difference between the two... and I think that's where this line gets blurred... between knowing the difference between a hard play and a stupid one) and shit happens. I understand that the rules say "avoid contact in every way possible" but I don't think it should be taken to such an extent where everyone is afraid to make a bid at a disc because they might touch another player.

Maybe, i've been playing to much college ultimate or something but I truly feel like this sport will and has grown because of players who go out and play hard, make hard bids, and respect their opponents... I'm in no way shape or form supporting anyone hurting someone else in anyway whatsoever!! Just to throw that out there... I'm sure you all knew that already but it's just a little disclaimer.

Last edited by RandomHero on Fri, 07.13.07 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
b_groinpull

PostPosted: Fri, 07.13.07 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boy you didn't see the play. this guy was out of controll and should have easily been able to avoid contact. if not than his reaction time is way to slow to be playing a sport in which you have to run that fast. while it was a bonehead move, it wasn't malicious and the guy feels real bad about it. but in summary, your wrong. one should be able to play all out and still avoid collisions of this nature.
RandomHero

PostPosted: Fri, 07.13.07 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b_groinpull wrote:
boy you didn't see the play. this guy was out of controll and should have easily been able to avoid contact. if not than his reaction time is way to slow to be playing a sport in which you have to run that fast. while it was a bonehead move, it wasn't malicious and the guy feels real bad about it. but in summary, your wrong. one should be able to play all out and still avoid collisions of this nature.

In summary Bustin, you're dumb

I never said that his play was needed... I didn't see it and like I said he should know the difference between when he should lay out and when he shouldn't... my only argument is that Ultimate is a SPORT and people who play sports get hurt... I'm not supporting anyone hurting anyone intentionally but if you're that afraid then start playing ping pong.
RBill

PostPosted: Fri, 07.13.07 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idiots can knee people in the face in any loosely organized game of any sport played by uncoordinated fools no matter what the rules might say. what does this have to do with ultimate? it sounds more like an outcry against being stupid to me. don't knee people in the face. And what kind of crazy ass tony jaa knee to the face bid was this?
evan mcb

PostPosted: Fri, 07.13.07 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah shit, remember that time they stole his elephant and he beat up 8,000 dudes over 20 flights of stairs in one shot to get him back?!?!?
Sitton

PostPosted: Fri, 07.13.07 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, this summer seems violent for ultimate. I've already broken my nose and received 8 wonderful black pieces of thread in my chin (and a scar to boot!) I've been playing with an unorganized crowd but they are slowly getting edumucated, four times a week helps.

Keep it real, keep it safe...keep it real safe.
RandomHero

PostPosted: Fri, 07.13.07 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: need to avoid contact ... here's why: Reply with quote

people get hurt in sports... that's all there is to it.
people don't get hurt in games though... which is why poker, golf, ping pong, etc. are all games.
fluffy

PostPosted: Fri, 07.13.07 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to hurt others, or get hurt by them, there are sports specifically designed to do so, for instance Ultimate Fighting.
If that's to direct you can try a few others designed to take out physical aggression, such as Rugby, or you could try out for the National Football League, or if you like tripping people you could play Soccer.
And if you need to be even more covert in your aggression, you could try baseball, or get all rowdy in the NBA.

But Ultimate is a sport based on non-contact, and therefore requires a level of grace and coordination that not everyone can achieve ... but that they should strive to do, so they aren't violating the rules, and thereby cheating.

I've seen great players that always go hard for the disc, but they also respect their opponents right to come out of the "incidental" contact without having to visit the hospital or reconstructive surgeon.
Rolling Eyes
RandomHero

PostPosted: Fri, 07.13.07 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffy wrote:
if you want to hurt others, or get hurt by them, there are sports specifically designed to do so, for instance Ultimate Fighting.
If that's to direct you can try a few others designed to take out physical aggression, such as Rugby, or you could try out for the National Football League, or if you like tripping people you could play Soccer.
And if you need to be even more covert in your aggression, you could try baseball, or get all rowdy in the NBA.

But Ultimate is a sport based on non-contact, and therefore requires a level of grace and coordination that not everyone can achieve ... but that they should strive to do, so they aren't violating the rules, and thereby cheating.

I've seen great players that always go hard for the disc, but they also respect their opponents right to come out of the "incidental" contact without having to visit the hospital or reconstructive surgeon.
Rolling Eyes

this is a retarded argument because we are both saying the same thing that contact should be avoided if possible but i'm just encouraging hard ultimate and i also realize that with that level of competition comes some incidental contact that cannot be avoided. I know you can handle that joy but what I'm saying is a generalization that if someone doesn't want to be hit then they are playing the wrong sport...

An example is me getting rocked in the face Tuesday at Summer League and the guy that i hit apologized and felt really bad about it but I told him that i'm glad he was that aggressive and wanted the disc that bad and told him to keep going after the disc that way.
Sitton

PostPosted: Fri, 07.13.07 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other" JH
b_groinpull

PostPosted: Sat, 07.14.07 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boy, nice post edit.
RandomHero

PostPosted: Sat, 07.14.07 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b_groinpull wrote:
boy, nice post edit.

what post edit? The only thing I post edited was right after I submitted it and I fixed grammatical errors.

Actually i did add that part in () to my first post but i did it right after I posted it... maybe you should stop commenting so fast... fucking overachiever.
tease

PostPosted: Sat, 07.14.07 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: need to avoid contact ... here's why: Reply with quote

RandomHero wrote:

if you're that worried about getting hurt then sit on the sidelines and watch.

Wasn't this during Summer League?
yingling

PostPosted: Sat, 07.14.07 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so most importantly, is dickie going to be okay? when is his surgery?

http://yinglingr.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: