advanced search

Username:    Password:   

need to avoid contact ... here's why:    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pablo

PostPosted: Sat, 07.14.07 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandomHero wrote:
this is a retarded argument because we are both saying the same thing that contact should be avoided if possible but i'm just encouraging hard ultimate and i also realize that with that level of competition comes some incidental contact that cannot be avoided.

1. Joy points out hazards of not avoiding contact.
2. Casey interprets that as an indictment of playing hard.
You have manufactured an argument where there wasn't one, the very argument you deem "retarded". I can't think of anyone who doesn't encourage playing hard.
ferrisbueller

PostPosted: Sat, 07.14.07 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandomHero wrote:
if someone doesn't want to be hit then they are playing the wrong sport...

Now juxtapose this statement with the the rule that players should avoid contact when at all possible.

If someone wanted to be hit shouldn't they play a sport where the purpose is to be hit and/or hit back?
RandomHero

PostPosted: Sun, 07.15.07 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look my argument here is this...

we are playing a sport with no limitation on movement, everyone is free to move anywhere within bounds... we throw our bodies around (we'll at least the good players do) leaving the ground and all control to lay out for discs... let's not even get into the fact that there are at least 3-5 hospital throws a game (some of which could make the difference in winning or losing, going to naties or staying at home, or continuing playing for the day or being done early) ... it's obvious that contact will occur at some point, so if you're that afraid of it, where you feel the need to berate players for playing hard because they "might" hit you, then you should stay at home. I personally just hate hearing people cry about "contact" in ultimate... fucking rub some dirt on it and pick your pussy ass up and keep playing or else get the fuck out of the game.

it's just funny to me that the people who bitch the most about this (sorry to point fingers but it's mostly masters and girls) are the people who probably get hit the least... try playing college mens where bumping/fouling on the mark is common and players will push/shove/hit you to get the space they need to make a throw. I guess i'm just amused by the fact that the people who get hit the least end up crying the most.
tease

PostPosted: Sun, 07.15.07 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: need to avoid contact ... here's why: Reply with quote

lady wrote:
RandomHero wrote:

if you're that worried about getting hurt then sit on the sidelines and watch.

Wasn't this during Summer League?

The only reason I'm replying is because:

RandomHero wrote:
it's just funny to me that the people who bitch the most about this (sorry to point fingers but it's mostly masters and girls) are the people who probably get hit the least...

All my recruits are usually pretty new and a little intimidated the first day, after all it is league. This sport isn't paying me yet, so until then I'd rather keep my health at least within reason. Or at least spend my money on something worthwhile instead of reconstructive facial surgery.

Last edited by tease on Sun, 07.15.07 7:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
tease

PostPosted: Sun, 07.15.07 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: need to avoid contact ... here's why: Reply with quote

don't worry casey I'm not bashing you, I'm just showing you that you missed my point.
fluffy

PostPosted: Sun, 07.15.07 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandomHero wrote:

.. try playing college mens where bumping/fouling on the mark is common and players will push/shove/hit you to get the space they need to make a throw..

Braking the RULES is CHEATING, simple and plain, and if you ALLOW it and DO THE SAME in retaliation then you are propigating the cheating.
The only way to stop the disease from spreading is to stand up for what is right, just like in life .... do the right thing and quit using the "everybody else does it" excuse.
RBill

PostPosted: Sun, 07.15.07 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to submit that if you don't want to get hurt you can choose not to be aggressive yourself. I can't imagine this was truly a crazy hatchet man flying knee kick. This sounds suspiciously to me like a late layout followed by an accident. And anyway you look at it in my book layouts are fucking aggressive. that's why I don't do that shit.
RandomHero

PostPosted: Sun, 07.15.07 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffy wrote:
RandomHero wrote:

.. try playing college mens where bumping/fouling on the mark is common and players will push/shove/hit you to get the space they need to make a throw..

Braking the RULES is CHEATING, simple and plain, and if you ALLOW it and DO THE SAME in retaliation then you are propigating the cheating.
The only way to stop the disease from spreading is to stand up for what is right, just like in life .... do the right thing and quit using the "everybody else does it" excuse.

This is the only spot that I truly agree with **** (name unspoken) in that I can't wait till all the hippies are done with ultimate and it can become a REAL Sport... Crying and bitching does nothing when you're playing elite teams, if you are so worried about the rules being followed so closely then stop saying that we don't need observers... if people are intentionally fouling you then don't you think that they will also argue the foul too... that's where observers can step in. Look all i'm saying is that I personally enjoy a little contact... I like guarding Nick WB and putting some pressure on him and having him elbow me in the face at a fall LS practice because then I know FOR SURE that when we are up against Florida, Wisconsin, Oregon, etc. that he will do the same thing when it's needed and show these teams that we will not be pushed around and that we came to FUCKING PLAY! My philosophy is SACK THE FUCK UP OR GET THE FUCK OUT!

And I completely understand that League is no place to be playing like that but i'm just pointing out that elite teams and elite tournaments are a different world so if you want to be the best (like i do) then prepare to play the game.
Monster

PostPosted: Sun, 07.15.07 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit people in the face.
RandomHero

PostPosted: Mon, 07.16.07 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster wrote:
I hit people in the face.

I will remember that for a while... you jacked me really hard in the jaw with your elbow when i was marking you really tight one day... but I enjoyed playing that hard against you.

do you like it when i use jacked, hard, and tight, in my posts.
Panamaniac

PostPosted: Mon, 07.16.07 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really does sound like the accident was just like the word states it, an ACCIDENT, playing hard should be encouraged, and if shit happens then SHIT HAPPENS
Jacob

PostPosted: Mon, 07.16.07 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody should get Nick and Boy a room.
P.s. Don't hurt me.
Panamaniac

PostPosted: Mon, 07.16.07 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffy wrote:
quit using the "everybody else does it" excuse.

I suggest you read the post twice before you express your feelings towards the subject
Sitton

PostPosted: Mon, 07.16.07 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandomHero wrote:
in that I can't wait till all the hippies are done with ultimate and it can become a REAL Sport... .

Cold day in hell...
RBill

PostPosted: Mon, 07.16.07 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitton wrote:
RandomHero wrote:
in that I can't wait till all the hippies are done with ultimate and it can become a REAL Sport... .

Cold day in hell...

it'll happen. hippies scare easily. and we scary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: