advanced search

Username:    Password:   

Philosophy class??? Help!    Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cc

PostPosted: Fri, 11.07.03 1:09 pm    Post subject: Philosophy class??? Help! Reply with quote

Hey, philosophy majors or who ever happens to take philosophy:

I have never taken any philosophy class before Shocked , what is it like? I am suppose to take an elective outside of accounting and am considering in taking a philosophy class. Which one should I pursue (preferably an easy one if there is such a class)?

PHIL4023 Medieval Philosophy
PHIL4033 Modern Philosophy - 17th and 18th Centuries
PHIL4043 Nineteenth Century Continental Philosophy
PHIL4063 Twentieth Century Continental Philosophy
PHIL4083 Existentialism
PHIL4113 Social and Political Philosophy
PHIL4213 Philosophy of Science
PHIL4233 Philosophy of Language
PHIL4303 Philosophy of Religion
PHIL4403 Philosophy of Art
PHIL4423 Philosophy of Mind

Thanks for your input! Very Happy

Lost in the real world. Please send HELP!!!
Joel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri, 11.07.03 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have listed all of the available classes except for intro. is there some reason not to take it? intro is a prerequisite for all of those classes (although you could probably get around it). and it really does a good job of introducing (hence the name ;) the major issues of philosophy. Also, I highly recomend taking an honors section. to this day my honors intro from senor is one of the best philosophy classes i've taken. if for some reason you need a 4000 level class i would think medieval or modern would be the least difficult for someone without intro...but still not easy. there is not any one thing that you will learn in intro that you'd need for these classes, it is more just to get accustomed to the way philosophy works, so jumping straight into one of those other classes might be a bit overwhelming, or might be fine; depends a bit on how you are naturally inclined to think about things....or whatever.
Monster

PostPosted: Fri, 11.07.03 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clara, if i were you i would take a regular intro to philosophy class. If you feel industrious you can take Honors Intro to philosophy. Philosophy classes study arguments made by great philosophers and then analzye them. Some people really like philosophy (myself) and some people hate it (my girlfriend). It has been my experiance that people's notion of what philosophy is, is vastly different than the actual thing. If i were you i'd sit in on the class for a week and then drop it if its not what you expect.
dr.crissy

PostPosted: Fri, 11.07.03 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a class called millinery(sp?) offered by the Drama Dept. on the history of hat making, if you just need an elective. i think it sounds fun. i'm thinking of taking it myself. it's not exactly psyc, but have a little fun with your class choosing.
cb
JHess

PostPosted: Fri, 11.07.03 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a bullshit elective i absolutely adored intro to piano for non-music majors. show up get your A. as for honors philosophy, i started in regular intro and detested it. my TA spent the whole hour trying to convince someone (other than me) to talk. I switched to honors and enjoyed it. I would recommend talking to John Gully. He would probably have the best advice.

Ari
bwb

PostPosted: Fri, 11.07.03 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my honors intro phil class was not that great, really really easy and the discussion just sucked
cc

PostPosted: Fri, 11.07.03 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the input. However, I only have a small selection of classes that will qualaify for the graduate program. Plus, I will graduate in Spring (if all possible). May be I will try to registor for psychology classes or communications instead of philosophy.

THANKS! Very Happy

DMarsh

PostPosted: Fri, 11.07.03 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philosohpy of Language, because I'm taking it. Philosophy of Psychology would be good, I'm taking it too. Existentialism is being taught by Gulley.

Daniel
cc

PostPosted: Sat, 11.08.03 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK! Finally down to two:

PHIL 4233 Philosophy of Language
or
FINN 4133 Advanced Investments

I know the finance class is going to take up a lot of time and effort. My question is: how much time and effort will the philosophy class require given that I have never taken a philosophy course in my life before?

I did read some articles and checked out the philosophy department website. People seem to be very lay-back. Smile However, the subject does require a different kind of thinking than regular business stuff, which is the greatest challenge in this matter.

So, any comments?

RyanVR

PostPosted: Sat, 11.08.03 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm taking Existentialism, gulley better not dissapoint me or i'll look him off at practice.

more than usual that is.
Ryan
DMarsh

PostPosted: Sat, 11.08.03 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara,

I don't know you that well, but I suggest sticking to FINN. 4000 level Philosophy classes involve lots of abstract thought, require good writing skills, and you must does well argument formulatations. (That was a bad joke). I don't know if you've seen the descriptions of the philosophy classes in the spring, so I've forward the list to you via e-mail.

Daniel
bwb

PostPosted: Sat, 11.08.03 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanVR wrote:
i'm taking Existentialism, gulley better not dissapoint me or i'll look him off at practice.

more than usual that is.
Ryan
ahahahahahahaha, gully is going to kick your ass
RyanVR

PostPosted: Sat, 11.08.03 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean for looking him off, or will kick my ass with tons of work to do in his class?

neither are good.
cc

PostPosted: Sun, 11.09.03 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deal! Finance won!!! It is going to be a tough semester but I will not regret what I am about to accomplish. Thank you everyone! Smile

Laura Billeaudeau

PostPosted: Sun, 11.09.03 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dork Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: