advanced search

Username:    Password:   

two birds with one stone   
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu, 04.17.03 10:21 am    Post subject: two birds with one stone Reply with quote

Rigth now our club is in the hole and we've got a bunch of injured players.
After a quick look down the rankings page I think we have played more games than all but 3 teams in the nation! I think that's really scrumtralescent, but is it good for the club? we should start thinking now about our strategy for next year.

Do we want to go to lots of fall tournaments?

Do we (A team)want to keep going to noname tournys (eg hendrix, thc, etc)?

What do we want to do for spring break (terminus/high tide/easterns)

Do we want to try to have a B team again?

What do you guys think?
bwb

PostPosted: Thu, 04.17.03 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i think we played too many even though i pushed for it early on this semester, look how many of us are hurt or have been hurt, a lot, we are not going into regionals in prime shape. I think we need to go to tournaments before sectionals and regionals because we play best after an intense weekend where we get used to each other and hard playing. I dont think we need to go to so many early on, or atleast space them out a little more, a bigger team would help. We might also consider not caring about results at early tournaments and just letting everyone play equal time to prevent injuries and to speed up new players getting good so for regionals we are all healthy and have more depth.

I think it was a really good call to not go to fools fest. One of the best decisions we have made.

do we want to go to lots of fall tournaments? I don't think fall matters too much since minor injuries will heal by that time, if anything fall is a good time to do equal playing time and just have fun. We might want to do less in fall in order to save money.

Do we (A team)want to keep going to noname tournys (eg hendrix, thc, etc)? hmm, ya i dont think we should, thc nick hurt himself, etc, statisticly the more tournaments we go to the more chances someone will get hurt, its better if we do that at not crappy tournaments or get that percentage down by not going to crap tournaments.

What do we want to do for spring break (terminus/high tide/easterns)? I say just high tide, have a nice easy week, and come back and hit a couple tournaments and be ready for sectionals without so much stress on the body. Although I really liked playing terminius and then high tide, and playing another would be fun. I think we need to decide if we want to go just for regionals next year or to have fun and play an ass load of good ultimate and try regionals knowing we might all be hurt. I'm not sure which i would rather do...

Do we want to try to have a B team again? Not sure, kinda $$
DMarsh

PostPosted: Thu, 04.17.03 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't really thought about this, but here's my immediate response

This is our run at the National title.

Out of pocket:
U of A at Tulsa
U of A at Memphis

Out of club funds:

Fall:
Club Sectionals, real A squad, not like this year
Club Regionals
Harvest
WUFF (Mike Gerics loves us)
Fallout (maybe not)

Spring:
Mardi Gras
(at least 2 of the following 3)
President's Day
Terminus
Easterns

Sectionals
Regionals

That's it. Oh wait, and Nationals!

Daniel Marsh
ferrisbueller

PostPosted: Thu, 04.17.03 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Daniel's proposal, but

1. I say scratch fall-out. I am sick of playing those midwestern teams and them saying that they don't have their full squad.

2. I say scratch mardi gras. I am sick of john malone not giving us any respect. Which brings up another point, why did the savage seven games apply to our record. That is complete bullshit. Then lsu claims they own us when they haven't played our full squad. I want to play them at regionals because we will beat them.

3. We can still go on spring break. We go and play terminus and then hang out for the week and play in wilmington at easterns. I think high tide wears a body out.
Monster

PostPosted: Thu, 04.17.03 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think those tourneys are good, but we need to go to a couple developing tourneys like blue plate and hendrix, just don't send our a team, send a a/b split like blueplate. i think a/b split teams are the best for developing rookies. Also, i think we should have mandatory practice year round, and have our full a squad go to every big tournement.
jon perry

PostPosted: Thu, 04.17.03 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like everything Daniel is proposing. I want to go to WUFF(daniel, explain mike loves us) and if we can't get in i say we go to Fallout.

One thing I don't see happening but I really want to happen is for us to compete with our real squad in the open championships. Kansas improved dramatically by doing this and travelling all summer. i think this would help us actually get better in the fall as opposed to us just using the first semester as a goof off and getting new recruits.

as far as a B team, i think having one is very necessary to the future of the club. personally it won't affect me, but if the U of A is going to continue to grow then a true B team(of maybe sophmores and freshmen) needs to be formed. It doesn't need to be a team of just scrubs who will go to close tournaments but a real squad that travels like KS B and Graze.

MONEY- next year it should be pay to play. we spent a lot of money on potential players and B team events that was not returned. Also FDA fucked us out of $2000 with Harvest so we need to host a college division separate from them altogether.
bwb

PostPosted: Thu, 04.17.03 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like high tide
Joel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu, 04.17.03 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwb wrote:
i like high tide

do you like high tide or do you like the beach, condos, etc
we can do spring break and have it be a real break.
bwb

PostPosted: Thu, 04.17.03 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
bwb wrote:
i like high tide

do you like high tide or do you like the beach, condos, etc
we can do spring break and have it be a real break.
I like both, i would get bored doing just spring break, i love playing so many days of ultimate, i am torn between liking playing terminius high tide and maybe another tournament or resting and trying not to get hurt to win regionals, im almost tempted to say that I like playing those tournaments more then i would like getting to nationals.
DMarsh

PostPosted: Thu, 04.17.03 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this might be where we kick Ben off of the team

personally, knowing that I'm on one of the best 16 college ultimate teams in the nation would be way better than playing in High Tide.

Daniel
bwb

PostPosted: Thu, 04.17.03 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMarsh wrote:
this might be where we kick Ben off of the team

personally, knowing that I'm on one of the best 16 college ultimate teams in the nation would be way better than playing in High Tide.

Daniel
heh i really have to say im having more fun at this point just playing an ass load of frissbee, i like just going every two weeks or less to a new town and playing really really hard both days (hopefully playing more games on sunday than just two) and then going home, i would rather do that and then be hurt for regionals because its more fun. weird huh?

regionals is ok and nationals would be scrumtralescent but its just more ultimate, i can get more ultimate by going to more tournaments too
Supafunky

PostPosted: Fri, 04.18.03 7:20 am    Post subject: High Tide Reply with quote

How much money did the club actually put out for High Tide? I don't think the club should pay for a giant spring break beach party cavorting as an ultimate tournament.

It frustrates me that we don't have enough money to pay for rooms for Regionals. We should have enough money to pay for BEDS for people during the big tournaments (Sectionals, Regionals, Nationals). How different would our performance been on Sunday at Sectionals if those of us on the floor had beds instead?
bwb

PostPosted: Fri, 04.18.03 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think high tide is really good for us as a team, not only do we bond and have fun but we have a couple days together to play ultimate talk about what was wrong, adjust, play again, adjust, play again etc, i think the terminius to high string of games was good and we improved all the way through.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: