advanced search

Username:    Password:   

Winter League 2009 - Dog Policy    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should dogs continue to be allowed at league?
Yes, and there is currently no problem, just let the puppies run free.
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Yes, but we should start STRICTLY enforcing the current rules
70%
 70%  [ 21 ]
No, I don't mind dogs, it's just not prudent to have them at League
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 30

jwillgoesfast

PostPosted: Wed, 02.25.09 2:58 pm    Post subject: Winter League 2009 - Dog Policy Reply with quote

Recently, there has been a discussion among the captains and our fearless leader about what to do about the dog situation at league, which some feel has gotten a little out of hand. We have rules in place - they just haven't been followed by most or enforced. Currently no decision has been made, but I am going to put forward the assumption that starting this Sunday all dog rules will STRICTLY be enforced and owners will be expected to ad hear to the rules, and if the malfeasances continue to persist, the powers that be may push to completely banning said canines.

Old Dog Rules from FDA website (see below for new policy):
Dogs MUST be leashed and cleaned-up after.
If any player's dog is on the field during a game, the opposing team's captain can give the owner a warning.
If the dog is on the field again during that game, the player cannot play the rest of the point, and should use that time to tie his or her dog up or find someone to hold it's leash.
The third time the dog is on the field the player cannot play any points in that game until the dog is taken home or securely tied up.

*note that I am just the messenger and that all the captains love dogs, they just want a little less chaos to have to deal with on sundays.

Last edited by jwillgoesfast on Wed, 02.25.09 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
RBill

PostPosted: Wed, 02.25.09 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one problem i see with the current rules is dog owners don't have any idea where their dogs are. their dogs are sometimes interrupting games that their owners aren't even involved in so you'd have to walk all the way across lewis to issue a warning and we're too lazy for that. crazy dogs.
Jacob

PostPosted: Wed, 02.25.09 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And one time Champagne peed on my stuff. Can we do something about that?
kdoe

PostPosted: Wed, 02.25.09 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy you have the current dog rules somewhat mistaken. We probably should get them posted on the website.

"FDA members who wish to bring their dogs out to FDA events, which include leagues, pick-up, tournaments, etc, will be required to register their dog with the EC once and will be renewed yearly unless told otherwise not to. Essentially all dog owners will get 2 passes for their dogs, which will be kept up with in a document available to the EC. The first complaint from any person about a registered dog, if ité─˘s applicable to safety or public law, for example; off leash, on field, not picking up poop, etc, but not to include a complaint about a dog that barks too much, etc, will result in losing their first pass. The owner will be made aware that a complaint was made and that their first warning pass was revoked. If another incident happens within the calendar year, the 2nd pass will be revoked which will mean that the owner needs to take their dog off the event area and not to bring it back out to an FDA event. The owner can appeal to the EC to get one or both passes renewed. Passes will not be automatically renewed yearly if lost."

The main part that you missed is that a complaint must be issued. Only 2 complaints have been issued to members of the EC. Perhaps, more members need to be made aware of who to make complaints to, but the people that have brought up this issue should know who to talk to.
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Wed, 02.25.09 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

king kharl started a new dog policy this year. basically, it's 2 strikes and the dog is out. if a dog is bothering you or your team, then make a complaint to someone on the EC. the owner will be warned. if the dog receives a 2nd complaint, and it will be banned from FDA events. if people are having issues, then they need to use the system. i agree, the dogs got out of hand on sunday during the second round, but i never received any complaint on any of the pups and i didn't hear of any from any other EC member. Dog owners were given this policy when they registered, so they are aware that there dogs can get banned if people complain about them. Captains should have passed this policy on to their team.

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Wed, 02.25.09 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that was redundant, you type faster than me king kharl

Rohde

PostPosted: Wed, 02.25.09 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually he probably just cut and pasted that from somewhere. surely he's not that much faster than you at typing.
jwillgoesfast

PostPosted: Wed, 02.25.09 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just copied and pasted that from the winter league 2009 fda website but should have known to double and triple check and crossreference my source...

http://www.fayettevilledisc.org/winter.shtml

I guess i was also confused by how, now i see, close the real rule is to what was proposed in the initial email...I guess i'm not the only captain who didn't pay attention to the change in the dog rules. I wonder how many people were cognizant of the new policy.
kdoe

PostPosted: Wed, 02.25.09 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We attempted to let everyone know, and had given dog owners a copy of the rules, as well as had plenty of copies at check-in. Obviously if you didn't know anything about this, I didn't do as good as a job as I thought of requesting all dog owner's register and read the rules nor pass out pamphlets and encourage you captains to make your team aware of the rule, for which I apologize. We'll do a better job of getting this information out for the rest of the year and get it up on the website.
Supafunky

PostPosted: Wed, 02.25.09 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dogs are out of hand.

This shouldn't be about enforcing rules or banning dogs. This should be about respect for your fellow players.

If you bring your dogs, show some respect for everyone else at league.

For the record, that doesn't mean that it's okay that they stay on the sideline wrestling with every dog all over and through people's gear.

It is unfortunate that this ever has to be discussed, but it is a given that dogs will be banned if we can't work together as a community to make play safe and enjoyable for EVERYONE.
jwillgoesfast

PostPosted: Wed, 02.25.09 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdoe wrote:
We attempted to let everyone know, and had given dog owners a copy of the rules, as well as had plenty of copies at check-in. Obviously if you didn't know anything about this, I didn't do as good as a job as I thought of requesting all dog owner's register and read the rules nor pass out pamphlets and encourage you captains to make your team aware of the rule, for which I apologize. We'll do a better job of getting this information out for the rest of the year and get it up on the website.

I'm not blaming you and I should have been more aware as well. I am the only one on my team with a dog so I never had to explain them to anyone else and assumed I already knew them and must have "missed" you mentioning the change, perhaps sometimes we zone out when you get long winded in the captains meetings Smile
jonb

PostPosted: Thu, 02.26.09 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like dogs, and puppies are cute.
Dogs have been a big problem at winter league.
I'm glad the EC committee is working on the issue. I look forward to a reasonable solution.

How do we make a complaint if we don't know the dog's owner or name?
honeyD

PostPosted: Fri, 02.27.09 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall 100+ people being at the FDA party where the new EC was elected. And as you've shown the website is only somewhat reliable.

Finding an EC member puts it all on the people already being annoyed/endangered by these dogs. One reason I don't bring my kids out is because i cant keep them safe from the dogs that have taken over the sidelines.

And i agree with how do you complain about a dog when you don't know who it is or who the owner might be.

Come on what happened to respect for your fellow players. If i remember correctly (not being a current fayetteville resident) but isn't there a leash law in effect in Fayetteville. A simple solution would be having the fayetteville police called. Just a thought...
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Fri, 02.27.09 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

players can have their captains let the EC know they have a complaint. if a dog is bothering someone badly enough they want to complain about it, then they can easily find out who the dog's owner is. i bet you could find out any dog's name and owner by asking 3 or less people. there's a policy in place and the dogs will continue to be an issue until it is used properly. if people have the time and energy to bitch about the dog problem on an online discussion, i don't see why they don't have the time to find out a dog's name and complain about it. i agree the dogs should be on leashes during games, and leashed out of the way of the sidelines if they are rowdy. i'll admit i didn't do this during the second game last sunday and apologize for my dog, but i also go no complaint from anyone about any of the dogs and i don't think any of the EC did either. it shouldn't have to come to that. dog owners should leash up their dogs if they are going to run around and mess with people, but people are assholes, like i was last sunday.

Last edited by ROCOBaller on Fri, 02.27.09 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri, 02.27.09 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you could just give heather a gun. dog problem solved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: