advanced search

Username:    Password:   

Hillbilly's Jump from 18th to top 8 at nationals!!!    Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brown

PostPosted: Mon, 07.13.09 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's crazy, tied with Confluence for 5th!
DrDoug

PostPosted: Mon, 07.13.09 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support to everyone who was in Denver as well as to our loyal fans back home. It was an awesome weekend and I'll try to write a more or less complete rundown!

Quote:

Looks like they're playing Boston. Wonder if Mooney, Corky, and Parinella are on that team?

Parinella, DeFrondeville, and Greff were there, not Moons or Corky

Quote:
Seeded 18th to start and finish 18th in the spirit rankings. I'm glad your crotchetiness made up for your stellar play. Screw those other old guys.

I'm not really surprised the score was as low as it was. After all, we had Evil (I love you, man!). We also had some heated exchanges with Boneyard, and an incident late in the first half against DoG. Several of the other teams played us hard and we decided not to back down.

Top 5 in country > Winning the spirit award.

Last edited by DrDoug on Mon, 07.13.09 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jacob

PostPosted: Mon, 07.13.09 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDoug wrote:

Are you trying to make Joy's head explode? I guess the college players didn't kill spirit in Fayetteville, it was already dead.
DrDoug

PostPosted: Mon, 07.13.09 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacob wrote:
DrDoug (has yellow fever too!) wrote:

Are you trying to make joy (i love to fluff)'s head explode? I guess the college players didn't kill spirit in Fayetteville, it was already dead.

Jacob--As usual, I think you missed the point. We played spirited ultimate all weekend and refused to back down when some of the more well known teams tried to intimidate us. Is that unspirited? I hope not. Thing is, I think both you AND Joy would have appreciated the way we carried ourselves this weekend. That says something.
jwillgoesfast

PostPosted: Tue, 07.14.09 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrD0ug wrote:
refused to back down when some of the more well known teams tried to intimidate us.

Doug, can you elaborate on this, i'm interested. thanks
DrDoug

PostPosted: Tue, 07.14.09 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwillgoesfast wrote:
DrD0ug wrote:
refused to back down when some of the more well known teams tried to intimidate us.

Doug, can you elaborate on this, i'm interested. thanks

Our games against Rigor, Confluence, Southern Comfort, and DoG (with one exception) were clean, hard fought, and spirited.

Here's my take on the games against Grind (Vancouver) and Boneyard (North Carolina). Those were our last two games on Saturday. After we beat Rigor first thing, we had a double bye and then lost to Confluence, but Rigor had beaten both Grind and Boneyard to throw the pool completely open. There was a lot at stake, and we weren't supposed to be in the mix.

Grind opened up a 4-1 lead on us, but as we tied it up and started to control the game they got very chippy, fouling on the mark and bumping/holding downfield players to break our rhythm and flow. They were having a bad day since if they lost to us they only had Confluence left and were likely headed to 0-4 after being seeded 2nd in the pool.

The game against Boneyard was for 2nd in the pool and a spot in the quarters. We were in great shape on points since we had beaten Rigor by 4 and Rigor had beaten Boneyard by 4 but still wanted to win. Their game was to huck at first opportunity (both downwind and upwind as it got very windy late in the day) and then get in our face/head on D. Quint, our hot pickup from Georgia, told us that this was their game and to not back down. Lance and Caffrey took the biggest beatings with the disc in their hands but stayed scrumtralescent most of the time and never retaliated except with their hot play. Oh. And the put from Bob to Joe for the game-winner was a thing of beauty.

I'll grant you that I may not be totally objective as the Hillbilly captain, but I felt that these teams were testing our resolve and toughness. I'd be interested to hear what Joel or Daniel or Chappy or Hess or Liz or Amy or anyone else who was watching has to say.
jwillgoesfast

PostPosted: Tue, 07.14.09 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the commentary doug, it is good to hear how you guys kept your composure. This is a skill i need to learn as i am usually a pretty nice guy but sometimes on the field i can become a completely different person and get a little crazy, esp when the other team is blatantly cheating. kudos for the hillbilly's for leading by example.
DrDoug

PostPosted: Tue, 07.14.09 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWill--Caffrey and his man got into it once or twice, and talking to Lance on the way back yesterday, he had a pretty serious but low key smack metagame going on with his man, but both of em kept it clean on the field.
Seventh Son

PostPosted: Sat, 07.18.09 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am concerned about our low spirit ranking. I personally lost my composure once against Boneyard and I regret it.

I've developed a working theory on the subject to help explain our low ranking.

Low-seeded teams that play to seed (don't upset anyone) get the highest spirit rankings. It's easy to like a team you expect to beat and you do beat.

High-seeded teams that play to seed (don't get upset) get the next highest level of spirit rankings. It's kinda easy to like a team you expect to lose to and do.

Teams that break seed (either get upset by lower seeds or upset higher seeds) get the lowest spirit rankings because the outcome of the game doesn't match expectations. Higher-seeded teams generally HATE getting upset by lower seeds. We had four games where we upset higher seeds. Four out of six. That's a lot of disappointment and angst from the majority of our opponents.

If you look at the seeding, results, and spirit results, my theory stands up pretty well.
JHess

PostPosted: Mon, 07.20.09 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All play I saw was pretty spirited. MOST calls were clear and would have been upheld by an observer. All disputes I saw were settled as quickly and quietly as possible. My experience tells me that whenever spirit ranking is decided by votes from the other team, it is always pretty much crap. The vote is always about the one guy who got piped up about the one call/contest the other team thought was ridiculous or about all the fouls that they never called or about who had the cleverest cheers. Besides, the spirit quantification isn't for the teams who win, because they already have something to feel good about.

Ari
Panamaniac

PostPosted: Tue, 07.21.09 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job oldies!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: