advanced search

Username:    Password:   

2 Questions:   
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kearney

PostPosted: Tue, 03.30.10 4:20 pm    Post subject: 2 Questions: Reply with quote

1) Is anyone planning on wakarusa?

2) Is anyone selling a camping tent? (2-3 person preferrably)

The questions are unrelated, currently.
Tdogg

PostPosted: Tue, 03.30.10 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Opal Fly (see below. tl;dr No absolutely not. )

2) Maybe. I have a Mtn. Hardwear "Room With a View" model that's pretty sw33t, but I am seriously considering an upgrade since it's about 7 years old. What's your price range?

Opal Fly wrote:
Hello Super Heroes..

The man of belief and dogma cannot enter the realm of meditationてカ.Krishnamurti

Fly girl hereてカてカOpal Fly.

I would love to have a moment of your time. I want to express my side about what is happening over here at 40 East Center, aka The Feel Good Lounge. Yes, we are closing the doors, at least for awhile. I am extremely optimistic that a wonderful investor will take over now. I love what we have begun. Like Diane DiPrima wroteてカ get started, put your shoes on, someone will finish where you left off. It feels good in this place to me. I am so appreciative of all the loving support. You made it easy to want to be here. You made it fun to create and dream. Right now we, me, Foxfire and Joe are pretty exhausted. I am looking forward to taking my husband back into the woods and lighting a campfire and listen to his beautiful flute playing. That is what motivates me and soothes my soul. Then we can get back to the drawing board. We have learned so much so far; it has been magnificant. This whole big idea started many, many years ago. Maybe even before I picked up a saxophone or Foxfire a drum. As most musicians can attest, having a job so much in the public eye can be intense, scary and overwhelming at times. Especially for someone shy. I never expected

To STILL be playing saxophone after all these yearsてカ I feel I have just begun to learn and have so much more I want to play on the instrument. I have realized that I love to focus on this.

Three years ago I was feeling pretty low. I had no home, I left a relationship that had drained me and I had no one to play music with. I was so frustrated with the bar scene and not knowing [didnてt know] what other options I had. I told myself I was going to retire. I had found a good job as a massage therapist. I was planning on working hard, saving money, finding a little home (for the very first time), growing a garden, finding a friend or two and being quiet. Immediately Spirit swirled the Winds around me and within a week or two of this pretty little plan, lo and behold I met my match withてカてカてカ..Foxfire! Oh my. Oh my. I told my boss that I would not be there after all. I was going to try てone more tour. So back out on the road I went, only this time with thy Faery prankstersてカa carnival of crazied outthere performers AND musicians willing to ride the adventuresてカ.and then old man winter waltzed in and the festival season halted, as all great rides do.

I came back home to Eureka Springs,AR. Foxfire was planning on going on but I wanted him to stay. He tried everything he could think of to find work in Eureka Springs (in the winter!) but to no avail. He drove back to Minnesota and I was alone without him. After many letters and phone calls and dreams we decided to try Fayetteville for a job opportunity. Now I was in a new town and had no band. Somehow I had to begin the journey of meeting musicians in Fayetteville. It has been a dream of mine to play with all the wonderful musicians I have met here. I cannot even write down everyoneてs name. I remember the dedication and patience of Sidney Simmons, Kris Star, Morty Mortenson, Ron Sumner, Steve てHot Butterて Carruthers, Jeff Kearney, Matt Smith, Grey Bucking, Isaiah Starr and Fox gave me in that little room above a garage.

We had a kick ass time again at Harvest fest and played with so many talented people that I feel blessed to know and share friendship with. (Harvest fest at Mulberry Mtn deserves its own chapter. Everyone who has ever been a part of it knows what a magical love fest gem it is. I am in gratitude to Dewey, Amber and their family for inviting Foxfire Magick that first year and letting us create a village). Eventually we moved into a bigger space thanks to my boss at the spa (thank-you so much Rich and Charmin). I kept meeting amazing musicians to learn fromてカit seems endlessてカGarret Jones, Tyler, Darlene, Matt Jenkins, Emily Jenkins, Sylver, Jennifer Nesbit, Miles Ralston, and Foxfireてs closest friend Joe Credit with his monster of a songwriter father Joe Credit.

From out of the blue, a man with crazy curly locks named Evan calls to meet with meてカwould I like to play the grand opening of a new bar called Smoke and Barrel? That turned into a whirlwind year of over 250 shows including a regular Thursday night at the Smoke and Barrel, which was a diamond ring of fun for me until the owners decided to go into another direction on that night.

As the year began to creep into winter and we began to book for 2010 I felt frustrated. There were a few bars to book into, maybe a coffee shop or two and I could try to get into a few festivals in the summer. With no more Thursday night commitments at Smoke and Barrel we really felt we needed to look at what was working for us, what we liked and didnてt like in our life right then. I was not looking forward to the call trying to get bar owners to book me and a band (much less to have them agree on a decent band member wage) Why? I suddenly saw that I was back in the place I was three years priorてカ. playing bars and scrounging to find musicians to play a low paying gig with me. I was not outside very much, never in the woods. My husband was working himself to illness and trying to make me happy and trying to spend time with me. This meant he had to be in the bars with me which meant either sit there and watch all night or work with me so he ended up with four jobsてカ. his 8-6pm job as an IT tech, booking my gigs and trying to negotiate great deals, Practicing drums, loading and unloading equipment, setting up and tearing down equipment, driving us all to and from gigs, picking up his son and trying to spend quality and quantity time with him (who Fox loves with all his Heart) I was still recovering from my second trip to the hospital (STILL paying hospital bills from both Trips!!!!) And suddenly I felt inertia. I had no energy. I could not lift my arm up to push a cover off of me. I had lost a best friend. I felt lonely. I felt depressed. I had a few friends coming over to check on me but none of us seem to have the energy or time to do things together (I do thank Hannah, Janie, Darlene, Emily Lawson, Pearl Brick, Stacy Wood). We did not want another year of not getting to spend time with Isaiah on the weekends.

The bars were depressing me. This is truly my own opinion and I do not ask you nor expect you to agree butてカ. a bartenderてs and a musicianてs life is not always the most healthy one. The average lifespan for these careers are shorter than many others. Yes there are many, many more difficult jobs but this one includes alcohol. I have somehow now worked almost my ENTIRE life (so far!) since I was twenty years old in a bar. Alcohol is one of many intoxicants. For centuries alcohol has been used in healing tinctures, as an aid to distill the properties of herbs. In ceremonies the world over alcohol is drunk to celebrate births, marriages, deaths, and facilitate vision trances. Certainly the numbing effects can temporarily help relieve social anxiety and pain. And like any intoxicant there are short and long term use consequences (dependency being but one). In some clubs, musicians get paid with liquor. Fans buy a musician a shot of liquor to show their love and appreciation. I would venture to say that as many as 98% of all professional てbar bandて musicians drink alcohol at every gig. These same musicians make at least 50% less than then bar staff. I will not begin to type all the sad stories of musicians that I have played with, that have touched my heart, that I love that have been hurt or killed by alcoholism.

Do you know how many musicians actually state to them selves and others that they cannot really play his/her instrument without a drink? That attitude is held in the general public as well. Every week I would watch from the bandstand these gorgeous young women (do you realize HOW BEAUTIFUL THE YOUNG WOMEN ARE HERE IN NORTHWEST ARKANSASてカ it is amazing) come into the bar feeling nervous and unsure and say OUTLOUD, てI canてt dance until Iてm drunkてカor till Iてve had a drinkててカ.they are in their beginning twenties! WHO TOLD THEM TO THINK LIKE THAT? Do you know what happens after this very pretty 100lb beauty in high heels shoots down a couple of tequila shots? Into the bathroom she headsてカ.every single night there are young ladies over the toilet bowl with a friend holding her hair. The alcoholてs poison closes their third eye ajna chakra intuition and they go home with someone they did not plan on having sexual intercourse with. They get kicked out of the very bar that took their money and served them the alcohol in the first place. They get embarrassing DUIs that they have to explain to mom and dad.

Repetitious alcohol consumption is boring and unhealthy and does not let you feel YOU, the truth of the Divine within. Do I think it has it place? Of course. Do I think that all adults should have freedom of choice? Of course. Do I love Chartreuse? Of course. But I do know after witnessing and living the cycle of てbar bandて lifestyle that it is easier to not drink the addictive substance if it is not given to you or available. It is too easy to think, てIてll just have one beer.て Even that has enormous repercussions on the performance. It does.

So we thought, てok we donてt want to play clubs, we canてt travel right now, and there arenてt any festivals that actually pay usてカwhat can we do?て That is where the Feel Good Lounge sprung to lifeてカher little seed planted in October as Joe Credit and Foxfire swam in a swirl of ideas. By December first we had signed a lease on this spot on Center and College. One month to work nonstop day and night to scrap and clean and scrub and paint and pant and talk about our ideas. We had a spot, we had a name, we were buying a PAてカwhat else would we need and want? All three of us had our ideas that were important to us.

Joe てSaintて Credit dedicated his life by leaving everything that was dear to him in Kansas City and permanently moving here to work 24/7 for no pay just to see if this dream could awaken. I will not trivialize his commitment by telling you how much this has cost his health and sanity. He wanted to learn to be a sound tech. To create a stage sound that musicians and audiences would love. We tried to get wonderful microphones, stands, lights, subs, speakers, sound board, even a bass amp (thank-you Kirk) and drums. He wanted to make the musicians feel comfortable. He wanted to be in charge of an open mic and music theory classes so that anyone and everyone could experience performing for others. He wanted to be the hand drumming teacher. He wanted everyone that was interested to come in and learn from someone who cares. He is the best teacher I have ever met. He is patient and kind and conscientious. Everyone who has been to one of his classes has benefitted. I only wish more people would have supported him. He dreamed of creating a huge drum circle that would fill up the Feel Good Lounge bubble.

I wanted a comfortable space with a variety of sitting areas, and I was adamant that there be floor sitting with cushions! Fox and I both wanted a family day for all of us to stretch and breathe and hold hands and roll around and play music and hula hoop (thank-you Amber and Barry for the hula gifts) I wanted lots of yoga and dancing and stretching and breathing and chanting classes. I wanted a music lab for musicians to come together and use sound waves to heal and create new sounds together. I wanted kirtans, and I wanted a trapeze! I wanted massage available for musicians and artists and more and more people get to feel the benefits of energy, sound, massage, yoga choices. I wanted salads, spouts, kombucha, raw cacao, green teas, spirulina, camu camu, ginseng, miso, hemp, sprouted grains (thank-you Ozark Natural Breads) burdock root and dandelion tea! I wanted to make special elixirs using foods like damiana, maca, ginger root. I wanted an opportunity for musicians to see how it felt to play without always having to rely on a drinkてカwhat does that feel like? To play for children. It is an extreme joy for me that kids are allowed to be here at the Feel Good Lounge. I wanted to have Foxfire play his flute and drum for the yoga classes and I wanted to take his poi classes. I wanted to play and play lots of music every weekend. For the first time ever I was going to get to play in Fayetteville AR on the weekends! No more loading up the car with equipment and driving all weekend and then hurrying back so that Fox could be bright-eyed for work the Monday morning. A home. Our home. I dreamed that I would meet friends and we would chant and dance and play music and mix elixirs!

So our little dreams blossomed in our heads as we cleaned and painted and listened to wonderful music and looked out the window over this valley in downtown Fayetteville. And when we did in fact open, we began learning and working and learning and working and everyday. I developed even more respect for business ownersてカespecially those owning bars and bakeries and restaurants! We learned that we made so many mistakes as many, many people have pointed out. We realized that we could not do it all by our three selves but yet we couldnてt hire employees. I tried to manifest someone to come and take over the bar. I realized I was going to have to make a choice. I could focus on the bar and put my energy towards making it the way I wanted but I would have to give up having music as a priority. I thought I was going to be fine with that choice, but really when it comes down to it, I still want to play and learn music first. I love it. I love to feel the high energy that happens when we are creating music that flows. I love playing in a group and hearing the chords and the harmonies. It inspires me and makes me smile, grab a friend, and start dancing and I love to dance. I learned so much these past months, as you can probably imagine. I learned that when I have an opportunity to focus on a dream I like to go for it. I learned how much I love my husband, Foxfire. A book should be written about the last three months.

Right now Foxfire is gone. He let himself be crushed. He let himself feel hurt and pain. He began to disappear about a month ago. He was the one to have to sit up in the windowless office hour after hour. He has never once gotten to play music on the stage that he worked hard to build. He worked so hard. He has such a loving heart. I have watched him in so many places help people. He loves people and he loves to dance and play drums and teach poi. He is a great teacher. He is meant to be outside and not in an office. I realized he was getting sick and that he was not happy but I did not do anything. I was too busy telling Joe to mop the floor and whatever else I felt was てnot getting doneて (thanks Joe).

So many people began coming to Foxfire for help that he never got to leave his office. He never got to be outside. He was feeding and helping the endangered kids that were hanging out at the lounge. Teens abused by parents and relatives, that had been cast out and kids who were sad and angry and had low self-esteem. I would get mad that he was spending time with this kid or that and てnot getting his work doneて and then he would tell me their story and tell me we needed to go buy them some shoes and clean socks and give them a chance. He was always there for anyone who needed anything. I am grateful to him for creating this.

Foxfire has helped me, Opal Fly, so much. He helped build my self-esteem. He is my greatest cheerleader. He taught me to dream bigger than I ever would have allowed myself. He showed me how to follow my dreams. He is my love warrior.

Foxfire is not well. He needs lots of healing. He begged us all to help him weeks ago and we did nothing and now I had to let it get extreme before I took action. I ask for his forgiveness. I follow spirit and believe all is as it is for this energy to be stirred and to create change and to open our hearts to feel fearless to love. We are all amazing creators, lovers breathing each otherてs air. May we love one another. We can try if you want. I am game. Letてs do it. Letてs create a freakers love fest in downtown Fayetteville. Grab her, kiss him, and hug me. I opened this place to try and find friends and a community (Thank-you forever Leland, David, Sara, Liz, Christy,Holly, Billy てKombucha Manててカaka てMother Manて jessie, Amanda, BURT) so I would not feel so all alone and sitting in my room energy less. So come out come out wherever you areてカてカてカてカyou are welcome to party with us for the rest of the weekend. Foxfire will be setting up his drums on this stage and playing with any musicians that will want to jam with us. And then what? I look forward to so much more. I hope that someone comes here to take over the Feel Good Lounge. I would love to be a yoga instructor, massage therapist, kirtan leaderてカ. And I would love to play here with the Feel Good Circus! Definitely I am looking forward to creating a stage for Wakarusa and Harvest Fest. You are invited to join us. Look for the crazied looking man with poi and a tail and the lady with a saxophone and you are home. Stay tuned for part duex? http://www.opalfly.com

Lokah Somastah Sokhino Bhavantu てカmay all beings everywhere feel freedom, well being, and happiness and May I in someway contribute through my thoughts words and action to that freedom, well being, and happiness.

LOVE & RESPECT,

OPAL FLY & THE FEEL GOOD FAMILY

"Look, yes, I have banged hundreds of broads, internationally, but know this: I wrap my rascal two times cause I like it to be joyless and without sensation as a way of punishing supermodels." -- Master Shake
tease

PostPosted: Tue, 03.30.10 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two tents you can have for free. One is a 3 person but old, which means you can do whatever the ef you want with it. The other one is 2 person but has no poles(pretty color though). I don't think poles are too terribly diffucult to come by, but it's up to you.
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Wed, 03.31.10 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm utterly shocked that the feel good lounge didn't make it. i mean, they didn't even serve alcohol there and wanted to give free music lessons.

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
Elvin

Location: The Science Department's big Oppenheimer Pinata Party

PostPosted: Wed, 03.31.10 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tease wrote:
I have two tents you can have for free. One is a 3 person but old, which means you can do whatever the ef you want with it. The other one is 2 person but has no poles(pretty color though). I don't think poles are too terribly diffucult to come by, but it's up to you.

i agree with teasie e, you shouldnt listen to tanner
Monster

PostPosted: Thu, 04.01.10 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kearney, we need to have an exorcism to cast out the the jamtronica demons lurking inside you.

The power of Christ compels thee!

The power of Christ compels thee!
Tdogg

PostPosted: Mon, 04.05.10 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh noes teh internetz ated our posts about free tents now we has to recreate the dramas.
"Look, yes, I have banged hundreds of broads, internationally, but know this: I wrap my rascal two times cause I like it to be joyless and without sensation as a way of punishing supermodels." -- Master Shake
Kearney

PostPosted: Mon, 04.05.10 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I felt like I posted on this, but it isnt here.

anyway. I have been offered a 1- maybe 2 person tent for around $50, but its not very tall. Im looking to spend less than $100.

Tease, I appreciate the generosity immensely, I just dont wanna do the legwork finding poles. thanks so much tho.

Tanner, talk to me playa
evan mcb

PostPosted: Tue, 04.06.10 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally mentioned the meltdown to Ben, and all I can say is his approach to tech support is LEGENDARY, HIS REPUTATION PRECEDES HIM, ETC. ETC.

pic related

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: