advanced search

Username:    Password:   

How many club teams can Fayetteville field?    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrDoug

PostPosted: Fri, 06.11.10 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaseyK

PostPosted: Fri, 06.11.10 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pressing . . . how many summer league teams can NWA field? If you want to play then register ASAP

http://www.fayettevilledisc.org/league_list.php
adunn

PostPosted: Mon, 06.14.10 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajax wrote:
Truism at its finest.

I don't think it is truism. I honestly think that people in Fayetteville believe that you can make nationals simply by having all the great athletes and it's simply not true. It sure seemed that's how the college open team viewed it (since they were genuinely shocked that the talented team they had didn't make the big show despite the glaring chemistry/ commitment issues).

Codename also had that mentality last year, and look how well that worked out....

I agree that having many of the "best" players in Fayetteville gives a team a great leg up, but what I was saying was that it's not enough.

It may seem obvious that my statement is true, but its pretty clear that nobody actually thinks that way.
Supafunky

PostPosted: Mon, 06.14.10 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kdoe] If a coed team happens, it should be developmental and fun, and be understood as that. The girls that want to travel that don't make Hayride, and the same with the Open team, should still have an outlet to play and a mixed team should fill that role well.[/quote]

It is quite magnaminous of you, King king kharl, to decide what team those of us who want to play mixed get. Thank you.
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Mon, 06.14.10 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LDoc wrote:

My question is, in general, what do the most competitive ladies prefer? Would they rather play women's or mixed? Because whether or not a mixed team has the best shot to qualify for Nationals, if the best ladies would rather play in the women's division, it kind of becomes a moot point.

i think ladies prefer playing mixed

xaja wrote:
The Hayride south experiment will last this year and then will be done though some form of it will exist in the Central in 2011.

we moved here not planning on moving back, but to do what everyone has been talking about...getting an established team to grow that could practice together. (plus king kharl filled our heads with notions of 3 bids). our core has been split between fayetteville and tulsa, slighting towards tulsa in the past, but not this year. the move here makes the most sense. we lost a chunk of the OK core, but gained ladies here - ladies we've played with quite a bit already. this is our 4th year as a team. i hope that it becomes a staple women's team for awhile even if there is a shift towards mixed coming. i suppose hayride could bounce back to OK in the following years depending on numbers, but we might be in the same region soon anyway.

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
Monster

PostPosted: Mon, 06.14.10 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adunn wrote:
I honestly think that people in Fayetteville believe that you can make nationals simply by having all the great athletes and it's simply not true. It sure seemed that's how the college open team viewed it (since they were genuinely shocked that the talented team they had didn't make the big show despite the glaring chemistry/ commitment issues).

Woah, buddy, if you throw around stones like that, someone's liable to get hurt.

I also take "issue" with your word choices including, but not limited to 'seemed', 'view', 'it', 'genuinely', 'shocked', 'glaring, and 'issues'.

Please support your claims with three outside sources per body paragraph. MLA format.
cbrosh

PostPosted: Tue, 06.15.10 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fayetteville open may or may not make nationals...

We WILL play elite ultimate and hopefully do well at Regionals and have fun together. I don't think anyone is complacent in there attempts to field the best team they can with regard to the open team. From what I hear, we are staying with a locals only team this year. We are hoping to practice hard, play hard and again, have fun!

Michael, Nick, does this sound right?
joyness

PostPosted: Tue, 06.15.10 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and so ...

now that regionals has been announced for Austin TX, who is willing to put their money/cleats where their mouth is?
xaja

PostPosted: Wed, 06.16.10 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCOBaller wrote:
(plus king kharl filled our heads with notions of 3 bids)

king kharl is diabolical. He doesn't actually think Hayride should play in the South. He just wants the team to move to the South so it takes the quality women in XNA and then all the good men will be forced to play open b/c there are no women for mixed.
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Wed, 06.16.10 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i think he was also hoping we'd convince steph huber to play with us so he could get jeremy and doug....at that point clx wasn't going to play the series again.

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
CaseyK

PostPosted: Wed, 06.16.10 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Props to Fayetteville Masters. They played great at Nationals. Not sell outs.

In relation to college/open:
It hurts my soul to say this. If the goal of the Fayetteville ultimate community is to field a team at Nationals then Ajax' cynical, pragmatic approach sounds right - for now, the best should play mixed.

While the best are working for Nationals experience other important things need to be happening. I feel Fayetteville ultimate culture is defined by good players who win parties and most games on Saturday. Within this framework, we are successful. Being nationally competitive players is an entirely different framework. We need year-round open and womens teams to help players solidify the fundamentals and develop good training habits. For now, a these players will need to accept that they will be picked over for mixed or pulled for open ringers. The payoff will be in 3,5,10,(?) years when the region jumpers and mixed players can share their playing experience with a 20 deep squad of players with strong fundamentals, and a hard training, conservative partying culture.

A reminder on "talent". I think the crossover nature of ultimate makes me think. "This person just started playing and they're really great. They must be more talented and more worthy of coaching than other players." That ability came from somewhere. There is no reason that a less "talented" or athletic player can't dedicate himself and surpass an initially superior colleague. Open/women's practices will be a great proving ground for players that need work. Only coaching/recruiting talented athletes is a convenient shortcut, but it's not the whole picture. Don't write off passionate players who "suck".

I don't know who Chase SB is, but there is more player potential north of Fayetteville than we recognize. I sent an email about Fall League to a guy who coordinates some lunch hour pickup in B-ville. He forwarded to 150 folks. Just because you're corporate doesn't mean your not excited, athletic, or coachable. In the future I see competitive teams representing XNA more than just Fayetteville.
jwillgoesfast

PostPosted: Wed, 06.16.10 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey ben/joel, can we add a digg style post ranking system plugin for phpbb so we can thumb up or down good/bad posts?

maybe something like: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=46456
RandomHero

PostPosted: Wed, 06.16.10 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwillgoesfast wrote:
hey ben ben/joel, can we add a digg style post ranking system plugin for phpbb so we can thumb up or down good/bad posts?

maybe something like: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=46456

thumbs down.
Elvin

Location: The Science Department's big Oppenheimer Pinata Party

PostPosted: Thu, 06.17.10 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDoug

PostPosted: Thu, 06.17.10 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Props to Fayetteville Masters. They played great at Nationals. Not sell outs.

Thanks for the props, Casey. The core of this team has been together for a long time now and after several near-misses in the Masters division we were able to be highly competitive in the GM tourney last year. Of course, the story is not nearly this simple.

The "selling out" issue has been in Fayetteville for as long as I've been playing here (and I'm sort of a newcomer in the historical sense). The guys have split into two open teams on several occasions, and the women have been fractured on and off forever. Even when the open team was strongest (in the pre-LS era) in 98-99-00 and won Dead Elvis and Solstice, the best players from those teams would be poached or would choose to play with teams that they perceived had a better chance to get to Nationals. Bob, Lance, Phil, and Amy had several deep runs there with Holes and Poles in particular.

The pool of players here (counting Darkside, LS, LS Alums, SoCo and alums and all the other women) is probably as deep as it has ever been. Does that guarantee that a locally-based team will make Nationals? No. And as several in this thread have said, it takes talent, commitment, leadership, and chemistry to make this a possibility.

And Ajax, I just heard from the Masters Coordinator that Mileage is out for Masters this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: