advanced search

Username:    Password:   

SlackeRED 2012 WL    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck

PostPosted: Sun, 01.08.12 6:46 pm    Post subject: SlackeRED 2012 WL Reply with quote

Week 1: vs Jwill then Mills.

I was very impressed with how well our team worked together, and with some individual players also.
We ran Levi, Jacob, me back (break side, middle, force side) with girls on the wings and some combo of KcK, Wes, and Clayton in the middle... Almost all day.
It was definitely a Perrypalooza for many memorable points, but we also got some short upfield flow working. While the ladies didn't get a ton of touches, they made sure their defenders were respecting their field position, and were certainly there for clutch upfield yards (and a few ridiculous D's).

Vs Jwill, we scored the first 3 (?) points, then went to 4-1, then to 7-5. After realizing that half was at 8 (and some trash talk from Earl), we took half.
Eventually we ended up at 15-9 or so.
Clayton totally surprised me with his skill, athleticism, and experience. Guess darkside isn't all sassy punks like cap Smile
Also, Jacob displayed some unexpected leadership/coaching qualities that must have developed since I heard him yelling at his summer league team: "Run AWAY from me! I hate ALL OF YOU!!!" ... or something like that. But on with the positive. Bjacks showed up in a big way today.
I already knew how good KcK is...
Wes - yeah. Wow.

As for jwill's team, I'd say we didn't worry too much about Jeremy's great throws or Andrea's awesomeness; we just dealt with it and played our game. The three intimidating names on the roster (Jwill, earl, Ivan) didn't seem to cause much trouble for us, as we had athletic/size/etc advantages with at least 2/3 of the seven matchups every point. Good game. Maybe one foul call, and some heckling. Head/tail wind.

Vs mills, I was nervous looking at mills, Corey, stujacks (??), and Dylan line up across from us, but somehow we got up 6-2 quickly. With only a light crosswind, we were able to shred (mostly!) their cup, and score to open force side receivers.
THEN we took half 8-7.
I'm not sure exactly what went wrong, but it just seemed to be little things here and there that built up.
Bitler called a "SOTG foul" on Wes for making a bid on a hospital throw. Mills ended up getting knocked around/mildly injured (he returned within 2 points) and handled himself well, and I appreciate that. It's probably best that I was on the sideline when Bitler brought up the SOTG foul; it's been a long time (well, since pickup in Little Rock in September) since I've heard something that stupid on the field.
Anywho, I had to leave at half. Pops says we won 15-10. Way to go red!

One final comment about Jacob. In light of his rant about where he went in the draft compared with other players of similar position/build/etc. (to which I remarked about his insecurity), let me point out what specifically I saw today that sets him apart from the aforementioned person(s):
Today, Jacob coached us with POSITIVE criticism. i.e. he would say "instead of doing ____, do ____". That is very helpful for a person like me, who generally has no idea what I should be doing unless we're bringing water during a timeout.
But seriously. I have been coached by men who just come down on me for my mistakes and don't tell me what I should be doing instead. That just doesn't work for me.

For whatever reason, Jacob was very patient and a major positive contribution to our team today. Ok. Bromance over.

Last edited by Chuck on Sun, 01.08.12 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chuck

PostPosted: Sun, 01.08.12 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: still don't know who the heck David Marfas is!!
Cool
CaseyK

PostPosted: Sun, 01.08.12 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elvin

Location: The Science Department's big Oppenheimer Pinata Party

PostPosted: Sun, 01.08.12 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: SlackeRED 2012 WL Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:
For whatever reason, Jacob was very patient and a major positive contribution to our team today.

Oh I'm sure there was plenty of negativity in his voice, along with a little disapproving head shake as he looked up field with the disc. But from the sound of this ever-so-sprightly post, you seem to be too chipper of a guy to have picked up on it. Believe me, I was in your shoes 4 years ago. HI JACOB!
Chuck

PostPosted: Sun, 01.08.12 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tellin ya - he was different!
Maybe it's all the Tebowing we did during warmups... Shocked
Cam Wow

PostPosted: Sun, 01.08.12 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please don't mention Tebow in any way on these threads Charles
Chuck

PostPosted: Sun, 01.08.12 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cumbarge wrote:
please don't mention Tebow in any way on these threads Charles

Haters gonna hate. But can't you at least give me an hour after Tebow time/the game (which they WON) ends to mention him without getting an earful?!?
jwillgoesfast

PostPosted: Sun, 01.08.12 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hat tip to red for having one of the lowest unforced turnover ratio's i've seen in a winter league, league game. (save maybe a few throws out the back of a short field/endzone) despite taking a while to find our groove, the toughest part for us against red was very few dropped discs.
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Mon, 01.09.12 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: SlackeRED 2012 WL Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:
Week 1: vs Jwill then Mills.

Also, Jacob displayed some unexpected leadership/coaching qualities that must have developed since I heard him yelling at his summer league team: "Run AWAY from me! I hate ALL OF YOU!!!" ... or something like that. But on with the positive. Bjacks showed up in a big way today.
I already knew how good KcK is...
Wes - yeah. Wow.

One final comment about Jacob. In light of his rant about where he went in the draft compared with other players of similar position/build/etc. (to which I remarked about his insecurity), let me point out what specifically I saw today that sets him apart from the aforementioned person(s):
Today, Jacob coached us with POSITIVE criticism. i.e. he would say "instead of doing ____, do ____". That is very helpful for a person like me, who generally has no idea what I should be doing unless we're bringing water during a timeout.
But seriously. I have been coached by men who just come down on me for my mistakes and don't tell me what I should be doing instead. That just doesn't work for me.

For whatever reason, Jacob was very patient and a major positive contribution to our team today. Ok. Bromance over.

i feel like i just walked in on something i shouldn't have seen...Wink

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
Kearney

PostPosted: Mon, 01.09.12 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idk why I read that entire thing.. here's a synopsis for the time hungry out there:

-Bitler called a spirit foul, LOLOL
-Chuck played 2 winter league games
-Jacob is still smart and can give constructive criticism
-Oh... wes got a 'wow'.
Cam Wow

PostPosted: Mon, 01.09.12 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and it might be noted that y'all seemed to be winning the whole time....a lot of teams have good chemistry when they're winning lol
Jacob

PostPosted: Mon, 01.09.12 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cumbarge wrote:
and it might be noted that y'all seemed to be winning the whole time....a lot of teams have good chemistry when they're winning lol

cumbarge on Sep 18, 2011 wrote:
2-0 today! Billieve!

Cam knows better than anyone that a 2-0 record can lead to terrible things.
Cam Wow

PostPosted: Mon, 01.09.12 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true dat
Chuck

PostPosted: Sun, 01.15.12 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 2.
Our roster was about the same as last week. Alex showed up, and we got Libby and Cable. Lydia was out, Alexandria was injured in the first game, and Clayton left halfway into the second game.

vs Brosh.
I was surprised to hear that Brosh elected for upwind offense during the flip. Either we would get a break, or they would score upwind (and probably the following downwind) was the rationale that I assumed Brosh was using.

So we threw a 3-3-1 zone. They turned it over on the goal line that they started on.
Yadda yadda yadda
We go up 3-0.
Take half 8-2.
Win 14-4.

This game was primarily triple-faceted:
1) smart, solid offense (few turns, great hustle)
2) white turned it over a LOT, and many (6?) times in the red zone that we were attacking
3) Wes locking down the deep, and his breakside cuts after the turns in 2)

Also worth mentioning is Clayton's awesomeness, especially a few crazy grabs and one particular break flick to Wes.

Good spirit, good game, despite the disparity in score. Kinda bummed that my rivalry with Wayne wasn't very active, as we were both handles most of the time.
------------------
vs Purple.
This game was dominated by the wind, which was blowing nearly parallel to the field.
After going up 4-2, we went down 5-4.
After we scored to make it 7-6, we acknowledged the soft cap, making it game to 9.
We took half 8-6, then came out in downwind defense (ie against their upwind offense) and finished 9-6.

There were a ton of turns (and therefore long points) in this game. Our downwind offense strategy was to just huck it. Sometimes it felt as if we weren't even throwing it to anybody, which may have been by design.

Lots of swill, lots of big bids, lots of mismanaged field space.

And Ceach didn't play much, for unknown reasons (he seemed fine after hand packing a full huck early in the game). Had he played more, the outcome of the game might have been different.
Chuck

PostPosted: Sun, 01.15.12 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s.
still no clue who this David Marfas guy is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: