advanced search

Username:    Password:   

SlackeRED 2012 WL    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck

PostPosted: Sun, 01.29.12 7:17 pm    Post subject: Week 4. Reply with quote

We had 6 guys and 3 girls by day's end (Lydia showed up for the second game). Levi is back (!), and we had 4 absentees from amongst our college players. Beautiful sunny day with light winds (cross winds for us).

vs Sand.
They were missing a TON of talent: Terrell, Daniel, Champagne (only played the first couple points of the day), and Ken Dawson (David's brother).
Their first and second round women weren't there (and Danielle Dawson was sick), so it was just (mostly?) Amy Lee and Morgan on the female side.

We played 5 on 5 for the first few points. Red played 6 to their 5 for a (long) point, then Bob and Amy showed up (and Champagne left) to make it 6's.

Abe and Connor could keep up more or less with our superstars in the middle, but we dominated the deep game.
Bob was solid as usual, but didn't have anyone to huck it to (or to him). Quite the supplemental pickup!

Not much notable happened in this game. We finished early (15-5? No idea...) and watched the ending of the White vs. Lime game.

Oh yeah. Abe the Lesser scolded the kid who looks like Jimmy Page... not the best coaching style. And Connor started the most unwarranted pre-stall I've ever seen. And I've been playing for like 39 months, so that's kind of a big deal.
--------------------------

vs. Lime
I was nervous heading into this game, but I guess I was the only one on SlackeRED who felt that way.
Seeing Paul, Travis, Clay, and others on their team of ... like a million players (to our NINE) was a little intimidating. Granted, they had just lost to White, who was playing 6 of their 7 players towards the end...

In our first possession, Wes was the "intended" receiver for three uncatchable throws... not the best way to start off. but we calmed down.

Athletically, we didn't have as many mismatches in our favor, or as lopsided ones. We still prevailed mostly in the deep game (though we hucked it a bit too much for comfort).

The first time we ran zone, they shredded it faster than I've ever seen. There was a second time that we ran zone, and that was it!

We took half either 8-4 or 8-5. There was a bit of a disagreement about the score. Travis thought that "the score is even" meant "the score is tied". It means "the scores are congruent modulo 2", but only one other person in FDA knows what the ******* THAT means, so I didn't push it.

There were a few miscues on our side. I stopped cutting to open space in the end zone just as Jacob was leading me into open space with a short throw. We had a few easy drops, and let the D get set on us all the way in the back corner of the endzone.

Frisbee Paul and I left the day even... no, TIED... for plays in which we ran outran the other. Must have been a glitch in the matrix. Though to his credit, he sky-ed me AND Wes at the same time...

We won 15-6 or 15-8 or something.
Red advances to 8-0!

edit...At the risk of orphaning some replies, I have removed libelous statements. I'll give this further attention as necessary.

Hopefully by the time I'm 40 I'll be considered a valuable player. Might even go first overall in the draft... Wink

Last edited by Chuck on Sun, 01.29.12 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Sun, 01.29.12 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will be very surprised if a 40 year old ever goes first round in the draft

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
Chuck

PostPosted: Sun, 01.29.12 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCOBaller wrote:

That was a slight over-estimate of Jody's age (38? 37.9?)...
fluffy

PostPosted: Mon, 01.30.12 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Week 4. Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:

... about the score. Travis thought that "the score is even" meant "the score is tied". It means "the scores are congruent modulo 2", but only one other person in FDA knows what the ******* THAT means ...

why you speakin' spanish to the 'mericans?
I prefer Negra Modello, dos a la vez Wink
Earl

PostPosted: Mon, 01.30.12 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCOBaller wrote:

Wink
xaja

PostPosted: Mon, 01.30.12 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCOBaller wrote:

Your statement could not be more erroneous. I think you are underestimating the ineptitude of FDA league captains. If you meant that no one over 40 should be a 1st round pick then I agree. However, I'm fairly certain that Lance Coleman went 1st round even though he was over 40. Similarly, others will make the same mistake in the future.

In conclusion, 5 mod 2 =1.
Chuck

PostPosted: Mon, 01.30.12 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xaja wrote:

Nice.
Kearney

PostPosted: Mon, 01.30.12 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Week 4. Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:
knows what the ******* THAT means

I'm still bewildered as to what 7 letter curse word fits there
xaja

PostPosted: Mon, 01.30.12 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kearney
Kearney

PostPosted: Mon, 01.30.12 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xaja wrote:
Kearney

very well done, sir.
Ms. Swan

PostPosted: Mon, 01.30.12 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kearney wrote:
xaja wrote:
Kearney

very well done, sir.

i think what we're really looking for is an 8.3
Elvin

Location: The Science Department's big Oppenheimer Pinata Party

PostPosted: Tue, 01.31.12 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xaja wrote:
ROCOBaller wrote:

Your statement could not be more erroneous. I think you are underestimating the ineptitude of FDA league captains. If you meant that no one over 40 should be a 1st round pick then I agree. However, I'm fairly certain that Lance Coleman went 1st round even though he was over 40. Similarly, others will make the same mistake in the future.

I'm pretty sure Joy picked Tim Caffery first round a few years ago. Her second pick was Ben which I guess means, as John C. Riley would put it, she had the old bull but wanted to try the young calf.
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Tue, 01.31.12 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't say if a 40 year old HAD gone first round...my thinking was with the decline of older players, the crop of 20s-30s year old talent around still, and the rise and rapid improvement of the college/high school players, i'm doubtful it will happen (until i turn 40 - j/k). obviously, i've already been shown that it has happened and will probably repeat, so i'm wrong.

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
Chuck

PostPosted: Mon, 02.06.12 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 5: Red advances to 8-2!

vs. Blue
We were savage + 1 female.
I caught the first pass and threw it away, and that's basically how the first game went! I was Blue's MVP... well, maybe a close second to Boy. At one point, Jacob was so frustrated with me that he started laughing. So yeah... that was probably my worst game of Winter League.

Blue came out 3-0. We got close, and then they took half 8-5.

Then at some point it became what people hate about frisbee. It was Florida-style calls for about 2 minutes straight. There is *some* comic value in seeing Boy and Jacob nitpick, but it got to the point where some of our teammates were afraid to make legitimate calls.

CaseyK skied Wax, and all hell broke loose. That's my perspective at least. Other opinions were voiced on the spot Smile

At one point, Clayton beat Wax deep for a score, but it was called out of bounds by the defender.

At one point, Clayton ripped it 60 yards to Levi (one of Red's post-round-5 picks), who skied the the other old math nerd on the field. "High school connection!"

So that was the end of the win streak!
Also, lots of homosexual slurs were yelled from the Blue sidelines, though strangely not by any Blue players...
--------------------------
vs Black.
We were at most savage this game, as Lydia rolled her ankle near the end.

The amount of terrible throws/decisions during this game was about the same as in the game before, only I was sharing the responsibility a lot more this game.

They came with a zone most of the time, and we found a good rhythm with only two handles back. With Earl playing in the middle for them, we could spread him and get an easy 15 yards upfield rather easily. Unfortunately, each Red player had their "moments", and we went down ... 8-5 at half and then 15 something. (9?)

------------------------

meta:
Wes had an emergency and couldn't make it. I sure hope everything is ok. We missed him!
Sebass was absent... maybe he found some peyote...
Walker, Nathan, and Alex T. were also absent. You'd think that they would want as much frisbee experience as possible (since between the four of us, we might have played 8 points at MLC last fall, and the tournaments will only be more competitive this year). Who knows? The only time that they were all here, we played Pink and Jacob was very directive in calling lines and such. One can only speculate.
[Cable, our "supplemental pickup", hasn't been here since his first week]

Finally, a note about Jacob and the coaching on the Red team.

A comment was made that Jacob was only being nice since we were winning. This was obviously back when we were winning.
Well I sucked it up in the first game yesterday, and Jacob did not humiliate me or sexually/physically assault me. After a failed deep shot to KcK (which Blue capitalized on), he just yelled one word to me ("STOP!") and that was enough. He remained positive through both games, and continued to give lucid direction and strategy. And after the game, he had the decency to talk about me behind my back while I was close enough to hear. Thanks, Jacob!

But seriously, Jacob's coaching makes me a better player. Jwill was also a good coach (ADA last summer) who taught me how to better play my position.

I've had plenty an earful from "coaches" who don't have a clue how to help me improve, but are quick to jump on me for [insert seven-letter curse word here]-ing up. Or who will ignore my requests for guidance/coaching, but contrast me with players who are "actually good". And unlike their coaching "style", Jacob's style makes me a better player... if only for fear of being racked.

/bromance. Shocked

p.s. Cam, that's a helluva thing to say. You're glad that we lost, and I'm the bad friend?!? Mhm. We'll talk about this at Mojo's next week Smile
wax6

PostPosted: Mon, 02.06.12 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for yelling at Jacob....but when Casey "skied" me my arm was ripped down so I couldnt even jump, I called foul. I believe I had a play on the disc too. I flipped out because emotions were running high.

And as for the deep throw. I was right there standing next to him and saw his foot land on the line which is OB. No one else on the field was near us to make the call....the player told me he was 50/50 if he was in or out that he didnt even know for sure.

Our last game spirit (which we lost) was much better - we all got fired up in game 1 to beat an undefeated team.
[/list][/list][/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: