advanced search

Username:    Password:   

Darkside heading to Chicago this weekend    Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayclay

PostPosted: Tue, 03.20.12 12:05 am    Post subject: Darkside heading to Chicago this weekend Reply with quote

This weekend, Darkside is traveling to Chicago to take on some of the best youth teams in the country. We're seeded 6th out of the 31 teams are 3rd in our pool. The way the tournament works, there are two power pools and a bunch of crappy pools. And we're in the 2nd power pool so we'll be facing some pretty scrumtralescent competition.

Here's a list of the teams in our pool and brief descriptions.

Holy Family Catholic - Ranked #1 in our pool, they rolled over everybody and finished 2nd at Easterns, losing to Amherst 13-6 in the finals. Have a kid expected to be on the U-20 USA National team this summer.

Hopkins - Ranked #2 in our pool and the powerhouse of the Central region, they're a great program with two JV teams to feed into their varsity team. They finished 3rd at Westerns and we only lost 8-6 to them in a game last year. Also had 2 kids at the Team USA tryouts that played pretty well.

Harry D. Jacobs - Ranked last (#4) in our pool, they're from Chicago. Although they apparently lost a lot of seniors from last year, I still expect them to be a tough team at the tournament, especially given that they'll probably be used to the weather and we won't (though I don't mind).

So there's a brief preview in case you're interested at all. We'll be updating on twitter at @DarksideFHS. If you want me to update you through text, just send me your phone number in a PM (I can't guarantee you it'll be consistent throughout the day though).

Anyways, that's all I've got to say. Just wanted to spread awareness of the fact that we're going.
wax6

PostPosted: Tue, 03.20.12 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck and represent Arkansas!!
CaseyK

PostPosted: Wed, 03.21.12 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'all will roll. Can't wait to hear updates.
Supafunky

PostPosted: Wed, 03.21.12 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Darkside! Is Twitter the best way to keep up with your performance? What other sources? Score reporter?
clayclay

PostPosted: Wed, 03.21.12 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the link for the tournament on Score Reporter.

http://scores.usaultimate.org/scores/#youth-open/tournament/10172

Twitter and Score Reporter will be the two sources. I'm not sure how fast Score Reporter will update the scores. On Twitter, we'll do a pregame tweet, halftime score, and final score for each game. It'll be on @DarksideFHS.
Conner22

PostPosted: Wed, 03.21.12 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score reporter doesn't update fast.
#22 Darkside
xaja

PostPosted: Wed, 03.21.12 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll wear my darkside jersey for u this weekend at my calculus Conference.
tease

PostPosted: Wed, 03.21.12 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woot arkansas kiddos! good luck!
Conner22

PostPosted: Sat, 03.24.12 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkside to play Holy Family Catholic first at 9.
#22 Darkside
clayclay

PostPosted: Sat, 03.24.12 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday play is over. Here are our results.

Holy Family Catholic: lost 13-5. We beat ourselves in this game but it was the closest game Holy Family had the whole day. They rolled everybody. They also had probably the best offense I've ever seen from a high school team. I counted 2 turns by them the whole game.

Hopkins: Once again, we started off this game right and were tied at 3's but miscommunications and mistakes brought us down. Hopkins took half on 4-0 run and continued to dominate as we lost 13-5 again. I'm convinced these are the 2 best teams in the tournament.

Harry D. Jacobs: We started off this game on a 3-0 run and were playing relatively well. However, they got a couple breaks to make it 4's and then we took half 7-6. Jacobs was getting exhausted (I don't know how, we had 12 guys and they had 25) and we shut them down in the 2nd half. We scored 6 straight points and won 13-6. Best we played the whole day.

Holy Mackerel: This was our crossover game to get into the championship bracket. This team went undefeated in their pool but it was with mainly B teams. We payed efficient O, choked them with a 1-3-3 zone, and took half 7-2. They scored 2 straight to make it 7-4 but we reeled off another 6-0 run to end the game 13-4, thus we finished the day 2-2.

Overall, I was satisfied with how we played. We got rolled our first 2 games but we rebounded and peaked at the right time to finish. Tomorrow, we're facing off against Neuqua Valley, who went 2-1 in their pool and finished 2nd. Should be a tough game.
clayclay

PostPosted: Sun, 03.25.12 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday recap:

Neuqua Valley (Nightmare): Definitely the best game we played the whole tournament. Neuqua went 2-1 in their pool and were a point away from going undefeated so we knew they were going to be a pretty good team. We came out hot and took a 4-1 lead by exploiting our mismatches. However, they then switched to a zone which stymied our offense and they tied it at 5-5. We then traded and took half 8-7 and we felt confident about our chances at advancing to semi's. Coming out of half, we got an upwind D break to make it 9-7 and thought we had taken control of the game. However, they came right back with 2 breaks though to make it 9-9 with the soft cap on. In a long-contested point that had several turns, we had several chances to score but we turned it on our goal line and Nightmare converted in the red zone to take the lead 10-9. We then turned on O and Neuqua once again scored on hard cap to take the game 11-9. Although we lost the game on a 4-0 run, I felt that we played to our fullest potential when we made it 9-7. We missed out on a chance at semi's but we're still a relatively young team and I feel this is something we can build on for tournaments later in the season.

Madison West: Worn out and demoralized from our close loss to Neuqua, our team came out cold against Madison. Poor D and mistakes on O quickly put us in a 4-0 hole and our poor play continued as Madison took half 8-2. During halftime, temporary coach Skyler Gambert gave us an impassioned speech which got our team going. We came out of half and got two D breaks to make it 8-4 and after trading points, we went on another run to make it 11-8. Madison turned it over again but we were upwind and the wind suddenly started to pick up. With a suffocating zone D and the wind in our faces, we worked it up to midfield before turning and a Madison huck made it 12-8. We scored another point downwind but Madison punched it in on their O point and won the game 13-9. Although we came out poorly in the 1st half, we turned it around in the 2nd half and made our loss look respectable.

Pineland Rich: Playing for 7th place, our team was exhausted and didn't want to play in this game. Finally, we decided to muster up our legs for one more game to spare ourselves the dissatisfaction of getting 8th. Right out of the gate, Pineland Rich came out in man D which we exploited with our athleticism. We took half 8-2 and subbed in our younger guys in the 2nd half to get them some experience. Pineland got some points against them but they worked it well on O and won the game 15-7.

Overall, I was satisfied with how we did in the tournament. We unfortunately got matched up with the two best teams in the tournament Hopkins and Holy Family (they rolled everybody they played and we actually had two of the closer games against them). We won big in the games we were supposed to win and although we gave up our lead in the loss to Neuqua, it's something to build on, especially considering that our team is composed mainly of juniors and sophomores while they had nearly all seniors on their team. We also only had 12 players while Neuqua had 25.

Our next tournament is April 28-29 in Madison, Wisconsin. I feel that we can win this tournament because Neuqua will be the 2nd-best team at this tournament and we had them on the ropes. If we can get Conner for this tournament, then I think we have a great chance to win the whole thing.
CaseyK

PostPosted: Mon, 03.26.12 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the updates. Hope y'all do even better in Madison
DrDoug

PostPosted: Mon, 03.26.12 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, Darkside!
Supafunky

PostPosted: Mon, 03.26.12 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayclay wrote:
On Twitter, we'll do a pregame tweet, halftime score, and final score for each game. It'll be on @DarksideFHS.

Still waiting for all these scrumtralescent updates on Twitter. You sold me a bill of goods just to get me to follow you. I want my money back!!!

Congrats on a good weekend.
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Tue, 03.27.12 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayclay wrote:
We unfortunately got matched up with the two best teams in the tournament

not unfortunate, great experience

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: