advanced search

Username:    Password:   

Winter League 2013    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck

PostPosted: Fri, 01.11.13 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandomHero wrote:
Why would I pay or winter league to only play once?

Assuming you'd play at least one other FDA league this year, we're talking about $15.
I'd bet you'd get that much in a collection if you committed to one Sunday and the tournament. Sign me up for $1.25...
If nothing else, you could come put a hurtin on a high school team Shocked
kdoe

PostPosted: Fri, 01.11.13 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I sense another Kickstarter campaign?
Monster

PostPosted: Sat, 01.12.13 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was the old person who said this board was dead?

Nice write-ups, guys. It's good to only recognize 50% of the names. Keep reloading.
Chuck

PostPosted: Sat, 01.12.13 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I forgot to mention these character traits in the Board Game pitch... Embarassed

S.O.T.G.: each player will have a different "temperament" that will interact with those of other players. Some combinations will lead to stat/score penalties, while others will help your team succeed. Some temperaments have varying effects based on how much the player has had to drink (e.g. Jacob needs 1-2 drinks to maximize his cheerfulness, but 5+ will have him throwing punches and cussing out officials ==> he and his S.O. are out for the game). Most of the local superstars will have volatile "chemistry".

Rulebook: this is basically a player's aversion (propensity) to introduce B.S. rules/calls or be steamrolled by such calls. Obviously all of the high-schoolers (and Paul Baker) would have low stats in this area. A team with mostly low "Rulebook" will be vulnerable to such cards as "11th edition" and "mandatory UOA officiated game". It would be wise to have a Lawyer (who obviously has maxed-out "rulebook" stats) on such a team Smile

Proximity: (I'm sure there's a better word for this) is inspired by our Tulsa friends' efforts to make it to our humble league. Drafting a team of long-distance players (who are typically quite skilled) is a risky move, as you are easily hindered by such calamity cards as "flat tire" and "ice storm". But if your opponents are unwilling (unable) to "buy" (and play) such tactical cards, you should do well with a handful of long-distance players.
(Still, Jason in the 7th round - COME ON!)

Other thoughts...
In between games, there will be a way to cycle out your random players (i.e. those below the Dividing Line) and recruit new, undrafted players. This is also when tactical cards are "purchased" (using some sort of economic stat that each player - even the randoms - will have).

Now if only I could introduce a mechanic to simulate the influence of all the expatriated superstars/jackasses/perverts who creep the LS boards...
CaseyK

PostPosted: Sat, 01.12.13 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, last minute write up/predictions

Black Team
Larkin, Kap, Abe, and Levi get my vote for top HS combo. Cory and Schmuecker better stay out of the way so their run-and-gun can take over.

White Team
2012 Red Team Reunion! Wes and Clay played great together last year. They just need to get Cole and Leflar to feed them as well as Casey and Jacob did. Kreps won the value player award last year. Can he beat expectations again? Mills foot is merp.

Pink
Abe, Bob, Joe, Max, and Matt can put on a good Team Tall line. While this team is a contender for most entertaining sideline kids, Abes failure to search out value draft picks will prevent a championship run.

Lime
Fall league champs + Brosh & Toby. Pretty Solid.
However, Toby is getting pretty huggy tonight and I neglected to correct him on the start time of League after he spilled his beer all over the bar. That may give your opponent a little advantage.

Purple
No clear draft strategy evident here, but Sebass sure is pretty. To win, energy players develop into niche roles and Alex cant go negative. Old April and Sam play like old school April and Sam.

Yellow
Quintessential Fayetteville team here. Periods of brilliance interspersed with drops, dirts, and hospital throws. If Travis and Paul still have wheels then they should do pretty well.

Red
Team Monstar minus the star part. Jody and Jacob love winning, but I think they are too busy/injured to manage the team into beast mode for this league. Lots of younger players mean it is as important to be a teaching team as a winning team. To win: Pat sits in on Aidans lessons and Jones . . . (sigh). Dizzy and Dustin are good pickups.

Blue
Similar to the Purple team with a step more consistency. Seaton should take charge to lead this team to a middling season.

Tan
The first time I picked a league team we did not win a single game, so I wish Conner better luck than me. Get Phil to show up and make Andrea and Sam run their buns off and you have a chance.

Orange
Easily the deepest talent pool in league, which will be necessary as out of town players miss weeks and Haas Hall pickups work into the lineup. If they stay healthy and play within their abilities then this team gets my vote for tourney champs. Who is this Robert Moore guy?

Standings:
Orange over Lime in the finals
Yellow and Red make the quarters with close victories over Black and Blue.
Cam Wow

PostPosted: Sat, 01.12.13 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My summary of each team (because these just never get old)....

1) Yellow

Vikki's team is scary. I see enough handles to go with their nasty nasty cutting line. Paul, T-Rav, Wax getting discs from Vikki, Billy, Will Dockery and Earl....it'll be tough to stop. I wanted Earl, he's an amazing player who is just as good cutting or handling IMO, and even that aside, his defense is my favorite part. I just had to go with a new 1st pick for once. I agree the windy days will slow them down, but it's gonna take a lot of work to beat this team in a full game.

2) Orange

Casey K went with the old "F the Locals" draft. His Tulsa regime of Bagley, Detring, and Ketchum (7th round....really? What was I high in Colorado or something?) will have mismatches galore. Casey K was probably smirking the whole draft at how many stars aligned. Kyle Todd and Lmac, throw them in, this team has top talent that Black and Pink will cringe walking to the line. Robert Moore is from Florida and he is very good.

3) Lime

We fast, but don't say we can't throw. I got Brosh, Clay Mohr, Toby (way too late), Alan Nguyen, Courtney Detring, Lindsey Hamm, that can all go back and handle. No one knows the man named Brandon McKay, and I shall leave it that way. My backhand is pretty much one of a kind, and unmatched in Fayetteville ultimate. Doug e Fresh Wolf is a serious monster on Defense and I'm thankful I don't have to be guarded by him like you will...and if I put him on you I apologize.

4) Red

Jody's team really is hard to say. They're clearly talented, but idk how the attendance is going to work out but I agree with April, only he could get Jacob and Jones to come out. I think Pat Randall is a solid player, but I'm questioning his first round pick, I'm excited to see if he goes ape shit this league and proves me wrong. Tuck and Dustin are great additions, as well as Joe Garrett if Jody can get him to come out in the cold....I couldn't. Morgan needs to play huge, she has the potential to be a huge asset.

5) Purple

You can argue this team isn't offensively as sound as some other teams, however their core of players can definitely keep the disc alive no problem. I see someone on this team having to go back to that handle role though, and really quarterbacking this team. Alex McEachin or Jeff Rehm are the obvious guys to do this, highly capable of being that main handle and working it to the cutters. Those two, Evan, and Dylan Holland are a solid handle line. Their big time playmaker Sebass will be huge, but what will surprise teams is the play making ability of a Mr. Matthew Gentry. This guy is a hidden gem in league. Everyone knows his name, but he still somehow gets overlooked and I loved it, because I always got him. He is a great cutter and defensive player that never turns the disc. I'm predicting this to be the league that everyone finally sees what a factor this guy can be for a team, and will no longer be a sleeper pick.

6) Blue

There better than this on paper...but as we all know, SOMEONE fraudulently signed up Casey for league. If he doesn't come out, this team is very short-handed. I don't like Cox's left hand nearly as much as his right. Mary Meigs will have a big role, can she handle the girls she will face? This starting line is still very good though with Stu, Seth, Eric Olson and Cox running down discs from Matt Seaton and Sean Wylie. Just look a bit then, with lots of players to teach, who will step up?

7) White

Jon Mills is not 100% yet. Wes and Clayton Adams are top cutters in league....but I'm flipping the predictions back at ya Clayton. Who is handling? Yeah....Wes can go back and handle but that is not where you want him at. You put a lot of pressure on Kreps to make the big throws. I think Clayton started out well in the draft, but failed to know enough people toward the end, but he still did WAY better than Larkin and Abe Gambert. Prove me wrong, Clayton, just prove me wrong.

Cool Tan

This team has some good players, but I feel the draft was mismanaged by Conner. Not necessarily bad picks, but the whole draft I remember thinking "stretch pick" "stretch of a pick". Conner has Sam Borgstadt and Luke Dockery, a good pair of middles who are very similar players actually....whoa weird. I see no problem with handles, it's handles galore....Conner, Will Sharp, Phil, Dr. Doug, Brad, the list goes on. What really will hurt this team is speed. I don't see enough speed to keep up with most of the teams, yes it's winter league and I feel Conner was thinking more wind and zone defense and keeping the disc on offense, but failed to realize you do need more speed than that. Conner has a reminiscence of his old Tan team that just didn't have the pieces. Yeah Andrea is fast, but can she guard more than 2 guys?

9) Larkin

It pains me to put this team so high, but Larkin has moved up in my rankings from Summer League 2012. This team is simply not scary. And a team with Abe Coffin should never have those words uttered. I can only say that after Larkin's first pick of the draft, he knew only his close group of friends. He did get Corey Duncan, and that will help a lot all around. The high schoolers really seemed to know a little percent of the list of players in league however, as Larkin took many of his friends in rounds that he could have gotten later, and built them around higher valued players by other teams. There is some people I see on this team that will hurt quite a bit, but there is always improvement by players, and they will get the action to work on their skills. Rachael Pellegrino was a great pick, amazing how good she is at running through the disc and not slowing down whatsoever. Girls will have trouble pretending to guard her.

10) Pink

I drafted a Pink team once, and I think the same thing happened two years ago to me. I just didn't know as many players as I thought I did. I agree with earlier predictions Abe Gambert is gonna see how frustrating ultimate can be. Joe Delnero, Bob Lee, and Wayne are solid players, but same thing will happen to this team, missing the abundancy of players to guard other teams. He also took high schoolers that would have lasted quite a bit longer in the draft, but then again maybe I'm wrong, and he snagged the high schooler from another high school captain in Larkin or Clayton. Either way, the non high school captains are smirking.
cmohr

PostPosted: Sat, 01.12.13 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be such a dick Cameron.
Chuck

PostPosted: Sun, 01.13.13 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, who played the "Proximity" calamity card??
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Sun, 01.13.13 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaseyK wrote:
OK, last minute write up/predictions

Old April

Sad face

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
eeville

PostPosted: Sun, 01.13.13 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sangria started the league 2 - 0. Haters!!! Smile

(insert Laker comment here)
Cam Wow

PostPosted: Sun, 01.13.13 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha nice Wayne!
eeville

PostPosted: Sun, 01.13.13 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear it tulsa guys Sad
AbeBabe

PostPosted: Sun, 01.13.13 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day one recap:

Fayetteville Ultimate learns how frustrating it can be to be beat by old guys and high schoolers.
SharpWill28

PostPosted: Mon, 01.14.13 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbeBabe wrote:
Day one recap:

Fayetteville Ultimate learns how frustrating it can be to be beat by old guys and high schoolers.

+1
cmohr

PostPosted: Tue, 01.15.13 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: