advanced search

Username:    Password:   

Paper On Yingling's dad = can't remember who wanted me to po   
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwb

PostPosted: Sat, 05.31.03 1:28 pm    Post subject: Paper On Yingling's dad = can't remember who wanted me to po Reply with quote

I can't remember who wanted me to post this, maybe is was LB, anyway this is a paper on Yingling's dad, our assignment was to write about what career we were interested in and what writing that person had to do, a lot of the information below is true i got from yingling, a lot is made up

i warn you now, there are some grammer/spelling mistakes

Ben Welch-Bolen
Cassandra Colvin
Junior English
5-29-2003

A Shining Basket of Hope in the Darkness of Corporate Greed

Little ones and zeros zipping through the air engulf our lives as technology allows us to be more productive for the corporate machine while leaving little time for the development of the human soul. Patience has become an alien concept as each new company promises to do it faster, cheaper, and better no matter what the consequences for our society and environment. Connecting with your customers on a personal level has been replaced with inhuman customer service departments that have been outsourced to India. Brave is the man who transcends this tug of war on the soul to put down his keyboard and mouse and refuses to believe in the western concept of progress. I have found that man and he is Keith Yingling, the basket weaver.

Keith Yingling did not know he was destined to become a master basket weaver when he was born in a small Quaker town in New York State but today he has thirty plus years of experience under his belt and the baskets to prove it. At fifty seven years old this is an impressive feat for any man, women, or child. Keith moved to Northwest Arkansas after graduating from Oberlin and quickly found an interested in basket weaving. He received an apprenticeship from another local basket weaver, Mr. Gibson. After receiving his tradecraft he started his own practice in this highly competitive field and hasnt looked back since. Mr. Yingling runs the day to day operations of his basket weaving practice and the only help he receives are the occasional accounting help from his wife and the use of his family for advertising his products.

At Oberlin Mr. Yingling loved to write and took basic English courses and several creative writing classes. He felt he was very well prepared for the writing he now does as a basket weaver. As a basket weaver his daily writings are somewhat limited in their scope. The most common type of writing involves invoicing clients or writing to let them know that their custom basket is ready for pick up. The invoices follow standard format and only differ from a typical business when he writes informal messages and greetings on them to clients he knows well. The time involved in sending out an invoice usually ranges from ten to twenty minutes depending on the client.

The other piece of writing Mr. Yingling does as a basket weaver is his famous basket flyer. The basket flyer is sent out once a year and is used to attract new customers and let his current customers know what has been going on in his business and personal life. The basket flyer includes pricing and a basic introduction to his work and his family. The only graphics on the flyer are pictures of his kids in baskets to show off the products. Because this flyer goes out to all his current clients it has to be very professional but in an informal way. This is a very difficult writing style to master because he must keep the writing style professional but also engage each client. He also takes the time to personally address each of his clients with a funny little message. The length depends on how well he knows the person or family he is writing too. These personal greetings let the person know how his family is doing and asks about his customers current state. These letters are very popular because of his humor and even his kids admit that they enjoyed reading them. By making the letters humorous and engaging people contact him and his family with letters or phone calls. This helps to spread word about his basket weaving abilities and initiates conversation with people who will buy his baskets in the future. This informal writing style servers his business well. It is important to note that just because the flyer and letter are humerours they are fairly polished with no spelling mistakes. The flyer takes around forty five minutes to complete and each personal message takes about five to twenty minutes to write and send out.

Mr. Yingling is particularly proud of last years flyer and letters. The flyer used pictures he took of his kids standing in different baskets and his clients loved this. By showing his familys growth in height in comparison to baskets he attracted many more customers. The flyer was professional done and had no grammar or spelling mistakes. As for his personal letters they are always a hit and his sells increase greatly after his letters go out because of the increased communication between his customers and himself.

The creative letters are really a reflection of his lifestyle and for all intensive purposes he is a hippie living the hippie dream of fighting the man. Mr. Yingling believes that the creativity he expresses each day helps him to channel that energy into his letters and really helps to communicate his ideals with his clients. In fact when he was explaining what the process of weaving means to him it allows you to see the creative power he has used to create these humorous letters, As I weave plants together I am brought closer to nature and I can tap into my creative expression. This sounded a little hokey when he said it but after reading his basket flyer I understand that this breakdown between the traditional concept of service provider and client helps him to sell more baskets.

The writing ritual that produces these letters occurs at the dinner table with kids going in and out during the late evening after dinner. The kids like to remind their father of funny stories that occurred during the year and the older kids check the letters for spelling and grammar mistakes. He writes all his notes in longhand using a pencil or pen.

In the field of basket weaving good writing is vital to get a leg up on the competition but in the long run it is not absolutely necessary. Mr. Yingling believes that for the most part his creative use of his flyers has helped him to increase the speed at which his business has prospered. Overall the majority of his writings are typical business invoices and memos informing the client of payments due or that their product is ready for pickup. By spicing these writings up with personal notes and numerous observations he uses his creative power to connect with his customers on a level that not many businesses today consider a viable option.
DMarsh

PostPosted: Mon, 06.02.03 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben,

I like it, but the title, although clever, isn't appropriate for the paper. The focus of the paper is about how he uses writing in his profession, not how he's part of a valuable minority in our economic system. Just being picky because I have nothing better to be doing.

Daniel
Supafunky

PostPosted: Mon, 06.02.03 11:36 am    Post subject: Better things to do. Reply with quote

Daniel,

Why don't you tell us about Mayfest.
bwb

PostPosted: Mon, 06.02.03 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMarsh wrote:
Ben,

I like it, but the title, although clever, isn't appropriate for the paper. The focus of the paper is about how he uses writing in his profession, not how he's part of a valuable minority in our economic system. Just being picky because I have nothing better to be doing.

Daniel
heh Smile, ya but its like a newspaper, the title just had to get your attention, not have to do with the article
cc

PostPosted: Mon, 06.02.03 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben,

Are you writing a paper for yingling?

ouch! It hurts to type with my jamed finger... Crying or Very sad

Lost in the real world. Please send HELP!!!
bwb

PostPosted: Mon, 06.02.03 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cc wrote:
Ben,

Are you writing a paper for yingling?

ouch! It hurts to type with my jamed finger... Crying or Very sad
no i had to write a paper about some profession i was interested in for junior english and since yingling's dad had the best job i wrote about him

how did you jam your finger?
cc

PostPosted: Mon, 06.02.03 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a layout D.
I have an X-Ray appointment tomorrow morning at 8:30!!!

Lost in the real world. Please send HELP!!!
bwb

PostPosted: Mon, 06.02.03 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrumtralescent! it was worth it Smile
yingling

PostPosted: Mon, 06.02.03 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daniel, he was trying to write something unappropriate for the assignment, to prove how stupid the assignment was... it was supposed to be about a person holding a job you've always wanted and how that person used writing in it... and what if you've always wanted to be a construction worker or something? anyway, i thought it was funny. and a lot of it was actually true... i'll have to bring a basket flyer to show you guys sometime.

http://yinglingr.blogspot.com
ferrisbueller

PostPosted: Mon, 06.02.03 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not just some rap song, yingling...the song is 21 questions and the rapper is 2 quarters. also, it is not "the fat kid," but "a fat kid"
Gook

PostPosted: Mon, 06.02.03 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geez yingling!! get it right!
yingling

PostPosted: Tue, 06.03.03 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry guys, it's not my fault i'm a fuckup.

Supafunky

PostPosted: Wed, 06.04.03 9:06 am    Post subject: Whose fault is it? Reply with quote

"You are what your parents make you.
If you stay that way it's your fault."
yingling

PostPosted: Mon, 10.28.13 3:35 pm    Post subject: google yields gems Reply with quote

This was the top hit when I googled "Keith Yingling basket" just now. I'd forgotten all about it.

I hope ben ben ben ben got an A.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: