advanced search

Username:    Password:   

Winter League 2014 Teams    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bwb



Joined: 06 Apr 2003
Posts: 2362
Location: Mongolian Ice Tundra

PostPosted: Fri, 01.17.14 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandomHero wrote:
Because league isn't the staying point for most of our players unfortunately... How many of our players who play beyond league were actually introduced to this sport or even get hooked on it based on leagues? not many as far as I can tell.... its been the college teams in the past with helpful recruiting by others along the way but it's people playing tournaments that actually gets then truly "hooked" on this sport and we've created a league atmosphere that's the furthest thing from a tournament type situation (even an easy going tournament plays by USA Ultimate rules)

I just don't think changing rules or extending playing time or any of this stuff is gonna attract new girls to our sport.... the only way to do it is to ask friends invite new people and stay on them about showing up. Give women opportunities to play together outside of leagues and promote the shit out of them .... not make crazy rules for league or blame men for looking off receivers who aren't open, who just happen to be women.


I was hooked based on league and pickup out there + after school, Daniel and Joel too I believe. And quite a few other players who didn't have local pickup going already.

If numbers are low for women something should be tried, this seems like a good start instead of talking about it.
_________________
“The only reason a great many American families don't own an elephant is that they have never been offered an elephant for a dollar down and easy weekly payments.” - Mad Mag
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Chuck



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 519
Location: Bentonville

PostPosted: Fri, 01.17.14 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwb wrote:

If numbers are low for women something should be tried, this seems like a good start instead of talking about it.

When I first heard about the new rules for this iteration of league, I'll admit - I was a little eager to bust Will's balls for the millionth time*, and take a few pot shots at K-do in the process.

But after some chitchat and reflection, I can't help but agree: low lady numbers is the biggest issue I've seen in FDA in my 4 short years.
The presence/absence of ladies has been the deciding factor for waaaaaay too many games, brackets, and entire teams over the years.
Devotees might recall that I was a summer league captain in 2011. I had three ladies:
Amy Lee had an anticipated amount of tardiness/absence due to her many responsibilities (kids, job, Bob, etc).
Sadie decided to take an unannounced, 3-week mission trip in the middle of the summer.
Laura Breedlove decided to take a 7-week hiatus, with no explanation or notice.

So yeah, I was begging the other captains for leeway in the gender ratios....every.single.game.

And I drafted Will Sharp!

But to the point - it's the biggest problem. This can only help. Power to the people.



*as I have mentioned to you some times (though fewer than a million times), you're doing a good job, Will. If anything, your only fault is you care too much about what us jerks have to say.
_________________
My (first) board game funded for ~$28,000 on Kickstarter last summer!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
RandomHero



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Posts: 1479

PostPosted: Sat, 01.18.14 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SharpWill28 wrote:
RandomHero wrote:
SharpWill28 wrote:
RandomHero wrote:
You can blame guys and leagues all you want but there hasn't been a club women's team since 2007-08 or something like that (in fact there weren't enough this year for even a mixed team). So women don't even show up when its not league and there aren't men around.


Sara or Andrea or any other lady with an opinion, feel free to tell me I'm wrong, but...

I don't think your point is valid, Casey because you're not acknowledging league as being a starting point for these women. I think league is the start of a lot of men and women's ultimate "careers", so if they aren't enjoying league, why would they ever think of coming out to a more serious ultimate atmosphere?

Chuck wrote:
But seriously - you have nothing to say about the FDA's conclusion that women are half as good as men? I would be irate if I were a lady in our "community", pandered to because Will and K-Do can only see my gender, and not my skill. Granted, maybe a few ladies wish they would get thrown to more.


Charles, I'm not sure how I am pandering to women or why it would be offensive. To say that just because this rule was put into place means we think they are half as good is pretty small minded and taking things a bit literally. It is just extra incentive for guys to throw their way when they may not before and it also just broadcasts an issue's the women have felt exists in our community.


Because league isn't the staying point for most of our players unfortunately... How many of our players who play beyond league were actually introduced to this sport or even get hooked on it based on leagues? not many as far as I can tell.... its been the college teams in the past with helpful recruiting by others along the way but it's people playing tournaments that actually gets then truly "hooked" on this sport and we've created a league atmosphere that's the furthest thing from a tournament type situation (even an easy going tournament plays by USA Ultimate rules)

I just don't think changing rules or extending playing time or any of this stuff is gonna attract new girls to our sport.... the only way to do it is to ask friends invite new people and stay on them about showing up. Give women opportunities to play together outside of leagues and promote the shit out of them .... not make crazy rules for league or blame men for looking off receivers who aren't open, who just happen to be women.


I don't care about players who play beyond league. The current goal and what we're trying to do is grow league numbers. There are people who will play league for a long time that may never play a competitive tournament.

I imagine there are a lot of people who stop playing because they don't improve, which is caused by a lot of things. Obviously, we wish we could retain all our players, but we're focusing on women specifically because that is where we have a more significant drop off. These rules are hardly affecting anything that actually matters, but it puts them on the field and could lead to improvement, so why not try them? I just don't see the harm, especially after mostly positive responses from the ladies who partook in the lottery.

The more weeks that go by, the more data we have to see how it is going.


Have we ever thought that maybe women are just shady good for nothing creatures with wicked hearts and a terrible hatred of fun and frisbee...

Or perhaps just bad at showing up and committing to a HOBBY... because honestly your chance as a woman to grow as a team member (sports player, no club or college women team actually exists/practices) in this community are at an all time minimum... Maybe we focus our efforts there versus trying to change/specialise rules for them.

But once again these are just my HUMBLE suggestions
_________________
Casey "don't call me boy" Hooper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ROCOBaller



Joined: 22 Sep 2005
Posts: 2079
Location: your mom's house

PostPosted: Sat, 01.18.14 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe we should form an all female team called the Wicked Hearts Club
_________________
i am a princess. meow

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Elvin



Joined: 17 Apr 2008
Posts: 1246
Location: The Science Department's big Oppenheimer Pinata Party

PostPosted: Fri, 01.24.14 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:
Sadie decided to take an unannounced, 3-week mission trip in the middle of the summer.


What a FUCKING BITCH!!!!!!!!!!
_________________
It's hard to get a table for one at Chucky Cheese when you look like I do....Oh, you're out of that? Then just give me Vice President of Ultimate Frisbee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Elvin



Joined: 17 Apr 2008
Posts: 1246
Location: The Science Department's big Oppenheimer Pinata Party

PostPosted: Fri, 01.24.14 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:
Laura Breedlove decided to take a 7-week hiatus, with no explanation or notice.


I don't know who that person is, but I hope she gets on the boards so she can now understand just how huge of a fucking bitch she is.

NO fucking explanation.
NO fucking notice.

What a FUCKING BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIAAAAAAAIIIIAAATCH!!!! Am I right or am I right, Chuck?
_________________
It's hard to get a table for one at Chucky Cheese when you look like I do....Oh, you're out of that? Then just give me Vice President of Ultimate Frisbee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Elvin



Joined: 17 Apr 2008
Posts: 1246
Location: The Science Department's big Oppenheimer Pinata Party

PostPosted: Fri, 01.24.14 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandomHero wrote:
Have we ever thought that maybe women are just shady good for nothing creatures with wicked hearts and a terrible hatred of fun and frisbee...


That is exactly what we think. Or at least Chuck and I do. For example, did you hear that once Sadie went on a mission trip to help feed starving pandas in Guatemala or whatever and didn't even ANNOUNCE them shits?!?! Like..fucking...she like..she didn't even fucking announce it. Sadie...listen to me right now. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF CUMBARGE ANNOUNCE IT YOU FUCKING BITCH! IT HURTS THE NUMBERS! The fucking numbers, man..
_________________
It's hard to get a table for one at Chucky Cheese when you look like I do....Oh, you're out of that? Then just give me Vice President of Ultimate Frisbee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Cam Wow



Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Posts: 369
Location: Faytown

PostPosted: Fri, 01.24.14 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadie loves her some Cumbarge
_________________
Don't ask "can i?" Ask "i can."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kearney



Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 708
Location: The Projects

PostPosted: Sat, 01.25.14 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam Wow wrote:
Sadie loves her some Cumbarge


Put the girls on a field by themselves and let them throw frisbees to each other. Then we can just be all dudes getting more dudes out to play our dudefest game and really rev numbers up, then not talk about how everyone's bad at getting fresh girls to play frisbee.

I'd walk to the girls field to watch some butts every now and then,[/u]
_________________
This is not the signature you are looking for
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Elvin



Joined: 17 Apr 2008
Posts: 1246
Location: The Science Department's big Oppenheimer Pinata Party

PostPosted: Sat, 01.25.14 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kearney wrote:
girls butts


I agree
_________________
It's hard to get a table for one at Chucky Cheese when you look like I do....Oh, you're out of that? Then just give me Vice President of Ultimate Frisbee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Designed by: Powered by: © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group