advanced search

Username:    Password:   

Updates on D's "ultimate" adventure in the N.W.    Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMarsh

PostPosted: Mon, 06.28.04 10:47 pm    Post subject: Updates on D's "ultimate" adventure in the N.W. Reply with quote

I finally played some northwest ultimaite. I played in Seattle's men hat league, the smallest of the six summer leagues, which consists of four teams that "represent a range of skills but are generally geared towards intermediate and advanced players (www.discnw.org)." Even though there's a waiting list to play I happened to find a team called 'Devil's Reverse' that was delighted to happen upon a player named 'Prince of Darkness,' especially since they only had 8 players. To be modest, out of the 40 or so players, I was one of the five best. Poaching seemed to be an alien idea to Seattlites - I had 4 layout Ds on poaches (on this grass it was like regionals at Burns) - I also had three foot packs in our one game to 15, which my team won by 10. The level of play was slightly above a tough LS/RS mixed scrimmage - there was dumping,swinging, and hard cuts into the force. Tomorrow I'm heading up to Vancouver to practice with 'Juicy,' a new open team headed by some recent UBC alumni. I'm anticipating much tougher ultimate, since these guys want to win Canadian Nationals and hang with Furious (Furious won't be at Canadian Nationals this year because they're focused on World's in Finland). If I surive, then I'll post my experience.

IRUS, some guy name L.J. said that he played with you in D.C. He knew your full name, so I"m guessing you'll know who I'm talking about. He said 'hello' and 'thanks for the great night' and 'do you still do that thing you do? (wink wink).'

P Dark - Daniel

-- Nick Drake/William Blake

Last edited by DMarsh on Fri, 07.02.04 3:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
DMarsh

PostPosted: Tue, 06.29.04 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRUS, I know how to spell you name.

Danul

rain

PostPosted: Wed, 06.30.04 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danul yur a nut. Are you having fun already? I figured you should wait a while and reminisce about your friends back home for about 8 weeks.

They must think you're crazy on D. I can tell already that you're going to be really popular.

How's lil red (you're scruffy fluffy pussy). I miss him.

There's a bowl of uneaten kitty chow that makes me sad every time I look at it.

What's it like over there? You're not in Canada yet, right? Guess what, Joel's goin on the big trip! I can't go this time Crying or Very sad but I'll go someday.

I have to get back to work.
Renata
DMarsh

PostPosted: Fri, 07.02.04 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimate update: I'm playing on 'Juicy,' a men's team from Vancouver, composed of 26, now 27 (me), younger men. Skill-wise and strategy-wise I'm above average, but athletically I'm, well you know. It's too early to tell, but I'm guessing I'll see some playing time as a handler on offense. A lot of the guys have been playing together for 5+ years, so it's going to be hard to take on any primary roles. Still, it will be fun just to be on a team that plays several of the best teams in the world (Furious George, Sockeye, Jam, Condors) on a regular basis.

I'm playing with Holes and Poles in Potlatch this weekend. Hopefully the fields will be as nice as I've heard they are, because my knees and ankles still hurt as bad as they did two months ago.

DMarsh

PostPosted: Tue, 07.06.04 12:00 pm    Post subject: Potlatch Reply with quote

Potlatch, the basics: three days, five rounds each day, guaranteed eight games (3,3,2-4). 4-3 co-ed format. Around 100 teams. 34 fields with minimum separation (10 feet between every other sideline, at most.) No shade, all sun and in the upper 70s. Showcase game; Salmon at the party; big party in a warehouse with buses running from fields to party; most people camp on fields; short grass, but extremely thick - good for laying out, but you won't slide an inch. Oh yeah, and a $650 tournament fee.

I picked up with Rachel Dersheid, The Baron, and Sanga from ISUC (Iowa State). The rest of our teammates were local pickups, except a Rutgers player who was wearing Salad's (Texas) jersey; he played with him last summer. Our ladies played savage, but we had 11 guys. We finished 2-6 and finished in around 60th place (E division). We probably could have finished around 40th if we had called subs. We lost to the Sockeye guys and Riot ladies, who finished in the top 8, 15-10.

Hangtime lost in the prequarters. Holes and Poles played in the B division. I don't know who won, but I'm guessing the college all-star team: Chase from Carelton, Ben Wiggins from Oregon, Patrick Hard from NC State, Chelsea Dinger from Oregon, and a dozen other college players that were just as good. My favorite part of the tournament was watching the college all-stars whip up on Hangtime.

In conclusion, you better come next year.

Daniel

DMarsh

PostPosted: Sun, 07.11.04 6:29 pm    Post subject: Empire Reply with quote

Today was my first Sunday practice with the Vancouver team.

First we split into the O-team and the D-team. Guess which team I'm on. Wrong! I'm on the D team, D as in defence, defence as in not offense. I straight up told them that I think defense is for suckers and all I do is poach and yell "switch." Seriously though, I've got the best pulls and they havn't picked up on me being slow yet. Plus, I've gotten a handful of poach Ds and hand blocks. Perhaps the biggest reason I'm on the D team is because the D team needs handlers and the other handlers want to play offense.

Deffensively, our strategies are similar to LS: 1-3-3, Clam D (man on handlers, zone in the back), standard zone, man. The only tricky/new thing is that they usually don't call a force on the line, it all depends on what offense the opposing team is using for that point and where the disc is once the defense is set. For the most part we play force-middle if it's a vertical stack, force into the stack if it's an L-stack, and force-sideline if it's a horozontal stack. There's not much switching or poaching.

On offense we mostly run a horozontal stack, but they leave the middle open (two guys on each sideline). Get this, they have 17 plays on offense... and you thought we had a lot. Get this, only two use the breakside of the field. In other words, the name of the game is beat your man in the force. The two exceptions are my favorite two plays: 1) when Shawn (main handler) has the disc, he calls out a name and that dude cuts to the break (sound familar); 2) in a Savy-skinny set-up the off-side handler makes a fly-by cut into the force side, the first three guys in the stack all cut into the force, the last guy goes to the break side for the easy continue, followed up with a deep cut from the force-side.

Some of their good ideas: for each play, who cuts where and when doesn't depend on the force, like all of LS's plays did, instead, the thrower faces the players that initiates the play. So, for our 'Rappers' play in a Fatty set-up, the guy who cuts deep first could just be the wing that the thrower faces, that way non one is confused about which way to go.

Their only good play: the same one Texas ran on us at Regionals: straight stack, back two guys come forward, third from back sprints deep, huck.

Their endzone plays suck: #1 - first handler goes up the line, #2 - second handler goes up the line, #3 - second from back runs to the front cone, etc..

The team knows that their plays stink, but since 20 of the 27 players are from UBC and these are the UBC plays, they just want to keep what they know.

The bad ideas:

There are 13 named plays, but four of them are run differently depending on what kind of stack the team is playing (horo or vertical). What's really fucked up is "auto", for example, in a horo stack is nothing like "auto" in a vertical stack. 'Kit Kat' in phatty and skinny had something in common - first throw is a break. There's nothing in common with their identically named plays. What's really fucked up is that they refer to each play by only the first letter of the play's name, so 'A' for 'auto.' The fucked up part is coming... They can't just call out the letter though, because Furious George uses (or did us) many of the same plays by the same names. So, to prevent the obvious problem they have created a couple of words, like CHOW SPAM, that they announce on the line. Then, to call a play, you don't call the letter, but rather the number of the letter in the sequence of words called at the line. For example, in the current case, I would call #7 if I wanted 'Auto.' You say "but that's only eight letters, what about the rest of your plays. Well, they obvioulsy took on this system before they were done adding plays, so the rest of plays are just reffered to with a number (9,10, etc.) What's even more fucked up, the endzone plays are separate from this whole system, but they too are refered to by numbers, and not just any fucking numbers, the same fucking numbers they use to refer to SPAM CHOW. Yeah, tell me about it. Fucked up.

Even though they play a horo offense, they don't cut deep much. There are usually only two hucks per hour long scrimmage. It's probably because they don't have many superb receivers, nor great deep throwers (at least none that they know about yet).

Some other interesting stuff:

They call 'strikes' what we call 'cuts.' "Nice strike dude."

The team name is "Empire," not "Juicy." Juicy was last year's team name.

Our Canadian regionals will be a one day event, featuring three teams. It's all related to most players being content with league play. Why travel when you you can play at least 80 games a year in city leagues? Of the other two teams at regionals, one is made up of players that got cut from "Empire" - my team. The other team has 35 guys and about 15 are Furious George players. Furious isn't participating in the Canadian series because they're focused on winning Worlds in Finland.

One the my teammates who played co-ed last year, heard that "Sticky Fingers" was good.

Marsh

DMarsh

PostPosted: Sun, 07.11.04 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good idea: they don't call middles and deeps, they call three handlers, then a 1,2,3, and deep fill. Once the disc is centered by the handlers, if a play isn't called,then 1 cuts, then 2 cuts for 1, then 3 goes deep for 2 and the deep fill cuts for 2 if 3 doesn't get it. It's just like our sequence, except it doen't have to start off of the pull. 1 and 2 could be the middles and 3 and the deep fill could be the wings.

DMarsh

PostPosted: Sun, 07.11.04 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, you and I could take these guys. They don't have much of a deep game. Remember our game against UBC at Centex? They couldn't stop you. The dude that was guarding you is now injured, so now they really couldn't stop you. Most of the guys are actually alumni, but they're all in the same boat - the can't stop you boat.

D

limatth

PostPosted: Sun, 07.11.04 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel you are a fucking baddass dudo dark prince man. ...

Just wait til those fools see all the tricks you got in that huge fuckin bag, pull that thing out and expose yourself a little bit, your penis or the bag, both will shock em.
Okay what do you think about me and 4 of my friends flying out to spend a week or so in the northwest and staying at your place.
There is Adam:
My best friend 20 years old, mowed lawns with me for 5 summers played basketball with me since I was in the 8th grade. Recently played a year of college basketball at Southwest Christian University in Bethany, Oklahoma, a division II NCCAA (yes 2 c's the awkward one stands for "christian" ) team who last year won the national championship. ( His team sucked and our highschool team could have beat them.) Adam does not and never has smoked weed, he does enjoy drinking alcohol and he may come off as an asshole , inside he is a scrumtralescent little boy with a kind country heart dying to get out.

Nima:
Nima is of Iranian descent, comes from a muslim family, and speaks fluent Farcey(Pharcee SP?) he is also 20 years old, a mechanical engineer student at the university of oklahoma/ as well as pre-med/ and is beginning work in the field of flabotomy. Nima enjoys farout music that you also may love and drives a silver volvo.

Dylan:
Often referred to as rasta man due to a hat he wore in Savannah, Georgia during Spring Break of 2003. He recently turned 21 and enjoys drinking interesting new full bodied beers in a wide range of flavors. Dylan loves smoking pot and will surely smoke the infamous BC Bud on our trip to canada if you allow it. He works at a store in Norman named party galaxy, makes his own techno music, and is pleasured by the company of cats.

Daniel:
Daniel is 20, a letters major at OU, He likes to drink and smoke weed with Dylan. He is smart and funny, and recently began working at a cigar shop in Oklahoma City. He has a farely nice build for never working out, and he performed the role of Tybalt in our high schools production of Romeo and Juliet. Daniel is interested in politics and will be spending the next year in Italy for school.

That is the crew, if you need any more background info on any of them or myself let me know. The dates we are looking at are around August the 12th or so. Reply and let me know what you think.

love luke
DMarsh

PostPosted: Sun, 07.11.04 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably. We should talk. What is the sequence of numerical characters that I can enter into my cellular walkie-talkie gizmo in order to connect to your audible representation of internal conceptual constructs?

At that time, Joel and I might be here, Joel and I might not be here, I might be here and Joel might be somewhere else, or Joel might be here and I might be somewhere else. The last case is not likely though, however, it's a possibility, so we should consider it.

"Don't give me no more potatoes" - The Kinks

Prince of Darkness

limatth

PostPosted: Mon, 07.12.04 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

405-321-1122
Monster

PostPosted: Mon, 07.12.04 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pdark, im glad to see that your finally accepting your throwness as the defensive monster that you were born to be. also, those plays sound whack man. i think im gonna start a new breakthrough in ultimate theory called "instancing". instead of having set plays that you call, everyone learns plays, but instead of calling them, people just automatically run them, when they see the instance that it should be run. for example, we learned the play TITs, but its so good it has been ingrained into our souls, and we just recognize the instance it should be ran, and then we run it. so it has transformed from the realm of "play" to the realm of "instance". all good plays should become instances eventually, while all bad plays just get weeded out of memory, like they have the last 3 years. this would take not only a smart squad to pull off, but also an experienced squad. you should pitch it to your team, but make sure to tell them I copyrighted it, and they owe me 3 cents every time they use the word. Instancing©. Also, thanks for the scouting report. It only furthers my belief that the Marsh-Welch-Bolen combo can take on any 7 players in the world. Maybe we should start our own team and go ahead and win natties next year. Tell me what you think. Also, Im glad to hear that everyone up there is in the boat. People in Europe were also in the boat. It must be a large boat, maybe an aircraft carrier, or perhaps a celebrity cruise liner. Anywho, keep the updates rolling, and the disc aflyin.

Marv
DMarsh

PostPosted: Thu, 07.22.04 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My team is finally starting to realize what I'm good at - I'm off of the D team and on the O-line now. Tonight we scrimmaged, who else, Furious George (they wanted to get their confidence up before World's next weekend). We got our asses waxed: 19-8. Furious plays, what else, the clam (man on the handlers and zone on the guys down field); they stay in it until the disc makes a long progression. On offense, Furious ran textbook horizontal O and a break-the-mark-everytime endzone O. My captains didn't have their thinking caps on; I just cringed as they continued to call an L-stack offense even though Furious wasn't playing man D.

Personally, I had a great game. Mike Grant, who many consider the best player in the world, matched up against me for the first 8 points, and I got the better half of him - I broke him twice, hand blocked him once, forced him into two throw-aways, and he dropped it twice. However, I couldn't keep up with him deep; my teammates kept me from getting hucked on though. Still, once he took me deep after a come-to cut, he had about 35 yards on me (I don't mind if you laugh) but the disc was floating and I had time to catch up. I immediately knew I didn't have a chance and was about to be tea-bagged... but then my teammate came out of nowhere and knocked us both over (thank God). Mike Grant got the disc on the goaline off of the foul, but I got him up to a nine count and he threw it away. I also had four or five big forhand blades over their zone; two of them for points. I was also probably the only player on my team to not drop the disc.

This scrimmage further proved my point that my team (Empire) is way to conservative on O and our strategies are bad.

I highly recommend learning the clam (the way I was trying to teach it last semester), because it completely shut down our offense. More than half our points came from me throwing through and over the defense. My team didn't seam to notice this; after the game, only one captain had anything constructive to say - he called me out, by name, for being a bad dump and blamed our lack of offensive flow on me standing too far behind the disc.

Furious didn't look like World Champions. Mike Grant, their stud, broke his throwing arm about amonth ago, but he's playing left handed (this will explain how I got the better half of him). My money is on Sockeye, who beat Furious last weekend and have recently acquired several of the best players in college ultimate (Chase, Patrick Hard, Wiggins Family, and more). I'm talking about World's, which are next weekend.

Daniel

Sitton

PostPosted: Fri, 07.23.04 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, a hand block is a hand block, very nice. If you like Nickel Creek you should check out Mutual Admiration Society...Nickel Creek with Glenn Phillips of Toad the Wet Sprocket. The are playing at the The Moore Theatre Jul 27 in Seattle. I guess your not there anymore but it would be a good show regardless. Good luck
DMarsh

PostPosted: Sat, 07.24.04 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played in my first tournament with Empire today. We won British Columbia Provincials and we will probably have the 1 seed at Canadian Nationals, which are here in Vancouver. We were seeded 2nd, but we upset the 1 seed 15-9. It was 80 degrees and everyone was compaining about it being too hot... I laughed at them while I was wearing two dark shirts and loving it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: