advanced search

Username:    Password:   

need to avoid contact ... here's why:    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Panamaniac



Joined: 13 Feb 2006
Posts: 831

PostPosted: Tue, 07.17.07 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryno Saurus wrote:
Sitton wrote:
RandomHero wrote:
in that I can't wait till all the hippies are done with ultimate and it can become a REAL Sport... .


Cold day in hell...


it'll happen. hippies scare easily. and we scary.


dude I saw the new harry pothead movie and are you sure you don't have any magic powers?
_________________
"Waait! We can't stop here...this is bat country..." HST
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oddjobette



Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Tue, 07.17.07 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the UPA defines the sport of ultimate: "Player defined and controlled non-contact team sport played with a flying disc on a playing surface with end zones in which all actions are governed by the 'Spirit of the Game‚Ѣ.'"

How the UPA defines "spirit of the game": "Ultimate relies upon a spirit of sportsmanship which places the responsibility for fair play on the player...Such actions as taunting of opposing players, dangerous aggression, belligerent intimidation, intentional fouling, or other 'win at all costs' behavior are contrary to the Spirit of the Game and must be avoided by all players."

This is why the sport is supposed to be appropriate for men, women, and children of all ages. Although engaging in contact with fellow male players in an excessively aggressive manner is I'm sure very arousing and contributes to your hard on later - ultimate frisbee is not the place for it.

The few times i've felt in danger during ultimate has been because a guy on MY team has made a bid on a disk that was THROWN TO ME. Most of these times if they had stayed out of the way I would've been able to catch it and wouldn't have had to dive out of their way to avoid getting pummeled. The reason girls don't get hurt as much is because we don't hit each other in the face to get our rocks off. We go home or to the bar to get our clits rubbed (or maybe even to the car after the game).

Oh, and by the way, why do you think hippies played ultimate frisbee to begin with? It is the college men's division that has invaded it and tried to morph it into something it was never meant to be. Which is all fine and dandy, just keep the extreme physical contact limited to that division and don't berate people for wanting to play hard but non-contact.

Scenario: The person you're guarding has better body position than you do on the disc. You can d it, but you'll have to lay out through him and you're not sure if you can do that without hitting him hard. The choice is simple: get the d at all costs or decide that it's not worth it to hurt him, and doing so would be against the rules. Then, keep playing ultimate and learn the physical control and expertise it takes to be in better body position in the first place so that you can get the d without physical contact. THIS IS WHAT MAKES ULTIMATE A FUN SPORT. You don't just hurl your body around, you learn control and strategy so next time the disc is yours.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kdoe



Joined: 06 Apr 2003
Posts: 2090

PostPosted: Tue, 07.17.07 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, Club Open is much more aggressive then College Open, so please don't blame the college kids. They learn from watching and playing club.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
RandomHero



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Posts: 1479

PostPosted: Tue, 07.17.07 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddjobette wrote:
How the UPA defines the sport of ultimate: "Player defined and controlled non-contact team sport played with a flying disc on a playing surface with end zones in which all actions are governed by the 'Spirit of the Game‚Ѣ.'"

How the UPA defines "spirit of the game": "Ultimate relies upon a spirit of sportsmanship which places the responsibility for fair play on the player...Such actions as taunting of opposing players, dangerous aggression, belligerent intimidation, intentional fouling, or other 'win at all costs' behavior are contrary to the Spirit of the Game and must be avoided by all players."

This is why the sport is supposed to be appropriate for men, women, and children of all ages. Although engaging in contact with fellow male players in an excessively aggressive manner is I'm sure very arousing and contributes to your hard on later - ultimate frisbee is not the place for it.

The few times i've felt in danger during ultimate has been because a guy on MY team has made a bid on a disk that was THROWN TO ME. Most of these times if they had stayed out of the way I would've been able to catch it and wouldn't have had to dive out of their way to avoid getting pummeled. The reason girls don't get hurt as much is because we don't hit each other in the face to get our rocks off. We go home or to the bar to get our clits rubbed (or maybe even to the car after the game).

Oh, and by the way, why do you think hippies played ultimate frisbee to begin with? It is the college men's division that has invaded it and tried to morph it into something it was never meant to be. Which is all fine and dandy, just keep the extreme physical contact limited to that division and don't berate people for wanting to play hard but non-contact.

Scenario: The person you're guarding has better body position than you do on the disc. You can d it, but you'll have to lay out through him and you're not sure if you can do that without hitting him hard. The choice is simple: get the d at all costs or decide that it's not worth it to hurt him, and doing so would be against the rules. Then, keep playing ultimate and learn the physical control and expertise it takes to be in better body position in the first place so that you can get the d without physical contact. THIS IS WHAT MAKES ULTIMATE A FUN SPORT. You don't just hurl your body around, you learn control and strategy so next time the disc is yours.


I understand your argument but that's not how I invision ultimate... a bunch of fairies running around apologizing for almost making contact with someone, holding each others dicks and jerking each other off, calling endangerment every five seconds and inserting random blunt objects up their rectums. If you truly believed all the talk about Spirit of the Game and everyones a winner attitude then why bother keeping score.

Your little thing about most the times you've felt endanger on the field is when a guy got in your way or whatever is great and all... but think about how many times someone has let a disc go by thinking it was for someone else and then it's a turnover and everyone looks to him and says... just go for the disc even if you think it's to someone else just catch it. I mean i know i've said it more than once and heard it said about 100 times.

And also, girls are gonna constantly bitch about guys "hurling their bodies around" but it all looks dangerous to girls because most girls can't even jump much less actually lay out... I'm just saying when I see a group of girls go "up" for a hospital throw or any throw for that matter it's usually just them standing there and reaching up as high as they can and the tallest one gets it... Obviously the men's games looks much more dangerous and seems more dangerous because we actually leave the ground.

I'm sorry for bringing up this argument and I think most everyone in this argument would agree that i have never endangered anyone else on the field or made them feel like I was going to hurt them to win... I'm just pointing out where the game is going and the attitude that is prevailing and that I personally enjoy it... NOT SO MUCH THE WIN AT ALL COST ATTITUDE... but I do like the aggressive spirit that's beginning to prevail in elite college/club ultimate.

Oh yea, and Karlita is correct Elite College Men's teams usually get their game plans and tactics from Elite Club teams... just a thought.
_________________
Casey "don't call me boy" Hooper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kdoe



Joined: 06 Apr 2003
Posts: 2090

PostPosted: Tue, 07.17.07 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, anyone that suggests that it is only the men that are dangerous, go watch a girls game. Any throw that goes up. The girls don't even know or pay attention to where anyone else is at and run into each other all the time. I guess since they aren't going very fast, they don't get hurt that often but I've said for a while that women are very dangerous on the field. A lot of times they have trouble focusing on the disc and their surroundings at the same time, although that goes for a lot of guys too. Well anyhow, just a few thoughts to a an argument that is going no where.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
rachel_lea21



Joined: 07 Apr 2003
Posts: 736
Location: Behind the bar.

PostPosted: Tue, 07.17.07 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i contest.
what kind of women are you watching play?
joy made a relevant post.
you can be aggressive and controlled at the same time.
you have chosen to play this sport with the existing rules.
sound arguments use specific occasions rather than generalizations.


and, until y'all actually make a real bid for nationals with the big boys, you should channel all that extra energy into practicing perhaps. great players don't need to plow through anyone...they have position, make good decisions, and follow the rules of the game.

fight on, my friends.
i just wanted to jump into the fun for a minute.

rachel d.
_________________
"Let the wild rumpus start." Where the Wild Things Are.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kdoe



Joined: 06 Apr 2003
Posts: 2090

PostPosted: Tue, 07.17.07 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern women(specifically college)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
oddjobette



Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Tue, 07.17.07 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contest! We're not mentally retarded, we're female. No, most of us cannot run as fast as most men or jump as high. And, to be honest, all of us have a crazy. But you make it sound like we don't know our ass from our elbow, and certainly couldn't locate both at the same time. Geez.

Further, I really doubt you've watched that much women's ultimate. Flirted with girls on the sideline maybe. For example, Brosh, Brown, Michael, Champagne and Casey Boy all made appearances on the SoCo sideline at southern regionals. I do not remember seeing you.

Having played more women's ultimate than say, king kharl, I have to say that although the women's game is generally slower than men's, the game does not consist of women running around aimlessly bumping into each other asking "So, like, you mean I can't run with disc?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kdoe



Joined: 06 Apr 2003
Posts: 2090

PostPosted: Tue, 07.17.07 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely have watched a fair amount of women's ultimate, and even watched a few points of SOCO at Regionals. I've also played coed for 3 years now and so have seen women play a lot there as well as at league and everything else. I didn't mean to imply that women are mentally retarded but that many times they get transfixed on the disc and end up falling down a lot when they run into each other. I'll point it out to you at the next college tournament we are at in the fall.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Michael



Joined: 29 Oct 2003
Posts: 510
Location: None

PostPosted: Tue, 07.17.07 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddjobette wrote:
The few times i've felt in danger during ultimate has been because a guy on MY team has made a bid on a disk that was THROWN TO ME. Most of these times if they had stayed out of the way I would've been able to catch it and wouldn't have had to dive out of their way to avoid getting pummeled. The reason girls don't get hurt as much is because we don't hit each other in the face to get our rocks off.


To be fair though one guy coming into contact with another is less likely to be seriously injured than a female experiencing the same contact with a male. Thus you would be asking a male to change his entire style of play based on the fact that there are women on the field (ie be less aggressive because if a woman gets involved in the play she stands a greater chance of being hurt than if it were all men). That's difficult to do. Like you said women are less likely to be injured in an all women's game, but I don't think it's because there is less contact but because the contact is between slower moving and less massive objects.

As for Joy's original post, I don't know the guy that got hurt but by Justin's description it sounds like the guy that hurt him was being extremely wild and reckless (you would have to be to injure a person to that degree in an ultimate game). So if your point was to tell us not to go wildly running into people and flailing about like jackasses on the ultimate field, thanks joy but I think most players, experienced and otherwise, already know this. If your point was that there should be no contact in ultimate because the rules say there shouldn't be then I agree with boy that you are being unrealistic, contact between players is just a natural consequence of more competitive play. It's not necessarily malicious it just happens, even between the best and most graceful of players. Just because a sport defines itself as non-contact doesn't make it so in reality, soccer and basketball come to mind. I think all of us accept the risk of contact and injury every time we step on the ultimate field, I do at least, whether it be from inexperienced players being reckless or experienced ones being aggressive. Whether you like it or not it is a part of the game that doesn't appear to be on the decline.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
RBill



Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Posts: 1572
Location: home

PostPosted: Tue, 07.17.07 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryno Saurus wrote:
idiots can knee people in the face in any loosely organized game of any sport played by uncoordinated fools no matter what the rules might say. what does this have to do with ultimate? it sounds more like an outcry against being stupid to me. don't knee people in the face. And what kind of crazy ass tony jaa knee to the face bid was this?


hear hear
_________________
Homey don't play that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RandomHero



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Posts: 1479

PostPosted: Tue, 07.17.07 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
oddjobette wrote:
The few times i've felt in danger during ultimate has been because a guy on MY team has made a bid on a disk that was THROWN TO ME. Most of these times if they had stayed out of the way I would've been able to catch it and wouldn't have had to dive out of their way to avoid getting pummeled. The reason girls don't get hurt as much is because we don't hit each other in the face to get our rocks off.


To be fair though one guy coming into contact with another is less likely to be seriously injured than a female experiencing the same contact with a male. Thus you would be asking a male to change his entire style of play based on the fact that there are women on the field (ie be less aggressive because if a woman gets involved in the play she stands a greater chance of being hurt than if it were all men). That's difficult to do. Like you said women are less likely to be injured in an all women's game, but I don't think it's because there is less contact but because the contact is between slower moving and less massive objects.

As for joy (i love to fluff)'s original post, I don't know the guy that got hurt but by Justin's description it sounds like the guy that hurt him was being extremely wild and reckless (you would have to be to injure a person to that degree in an ultimate game). So if your point was to tell us not to go wildly running into people and flailing about like jackasses on the ultimate field, thanks joy (i love to fluff) but I think most players, experienced and otherwise, already know this. If your point was that there should be no contact in ultimate because the rules say there shouldn't be then I agree with boy that you are being unrealistic, contact between players is just a natural consequence of more competitive play. It's not necessarily malicious it just happens, even between the best and most graceful of players. Just because a sport defines itself as non-contact doesn't make it so in reality, soccer and basketball come to mind. I think all of us accept the risk of contact and injury every time we step on the ultimate field, I do at least, whether it be from inexperienced players being reckless or experienced ones being aggressive. Whether you like it or not it is a part of the game that doesn't appear to be on the decline.


Thank you someone who understands who's not king kharl Doege... it made me feel retarded when only Nick and king kharl spoke up and understood and agreed... Playing retarded and making stupid bids at stupid discs at stupid times = stupid... but berating a player for accidentally hurting someone makes you the stupid one... or at least the person who doesn't want this sport to grow. I'm just saying would you want to go watch a game of ultimate with everyone prancing around like babies and being afraid to lay out because someone might get injured... big layouts... big d's... big skies... that's what people want to watch, that's what draws the crowd, and that's what draws new players... yes make your bids smart but don't try to make people afraid to make the bids.
_________________
Casey "don't call me boy" Hooper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monster



Joined: 06 Apr 2003
Posts: 2946

PostPosted: Tue, 07.17.07 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit women in the face.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doughboy



Joined: 24 Jan 2004
Posts: 208
Location: Sansia, Taiwan

PostPosted: Tue, 07.17.07 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it rough.

Oh wait, we're talking about ultimate.
_________________
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
-- Dean Martin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Panamaniac



Joined: 13 Feb 2006
Posts: 831

PostPosted: Tue, 07.17.07 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandomHero wrote:
Thank you someone who understands who's not king kharl Doege... it made me feel retarded when only Nick and king kharl spoke up and understood and agreed... Playing retarded and making stupid bids at stupid discs at stupid times = stupid... but berating a player for accidentally hurting someone makes you the stupid one... or at least the person who doesn't want this sport to grow. I'm just saying would you want to go watch a game of ultimate with everyone prancing around like babies and being afraid to lay out because someone might get injured... big layouts... big d's... big skies... that's what people want to watch, that's what draws the crowd, and that's what draws new players... yes make your bids smart but don't try to make people afraid to make the bids.


I think every guy that likes playing Club/College open intensely and puts it all out for the game agrees with you, but there is no need to state it on this board b/c then bitchy people will start bitching. I also want to state that I agree with everybody's point, but some of these points are just what they are intended to be which is straight up bitching. Awesome bids are what make remarkable ultimate players what they are. Not encouraging players to make awesome bids would just be dumb cause like Boy states it that's what people cheer at the most at ultimate games. AND girls you play hard to your own extent, that's why there is men's, women's , and co-ed divisions in tournaments, so each one to their own thing.
_________________
"Waait! We can't stop here...this is bat country..." HST
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Designed by: Powered by: © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group