advanced search

Username:    Password:   

ADA question for ladies(men please don't vote)    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you rather have a 3 team women's division or a mixed division with 4-6 teams?
Play mixed(4-3/3-4).
100%
 100%  [ 13 ]
Play women's with only 3 teams.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

Supafunky

PostPosted: Sat, 02.28.09 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is amazing that a thread focused on women and their perspective can't escape mysogyny. Is that why this thread has died?
joyness

PostPosted: Sat, 02.28.09 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 women's teams, playing each other 6 times, was rather monotonous.

Women saying they'd be committed and then not showing is aggravating and detrimental to the continuation of the women's league.

Although playing near savage, with 1 or 2 subs, was OK with me not everyone loves that.

With the low number of teams, and the low numbers on each team, it turned out to not be exactly the "highly competitive" conditions desired by the director, but it did give women the opportunity to PLAY, and that included the new women too.

Playing women's was fun, and winning neat prizes each year has been great!

I'm not likely to be able to play, in either league, but just wanted to point out some things to consider. If we want to keep WOMEN playing, maybe we should find out what the NEW ones prefer?
honeyD

PostPosted: Mon, 03.02.09 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Jody said though it's hard to find out what women want in this type of forum. Maybe a short survey of the women who played winter league would be a good start.

I think a Mixed Competitive League would be a nice change of pace. I agree the low numbers and repetitiveness of schedule are not very exciting features to bring me back to women's ultimate.

For the record I like to play Ultimate! Men, women, both is of little regard. It matters more the intention of the players that are on the field. [/quote]
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Mon, 03.02.09 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it died b/c it seemed to have resolved in the idea of putting together a co-ed competitive league

i think the WDA needs to turn into a one day hat tourney for women. we could play the day of the ADA finals. there can still be a fun prize. i'll make it happen. i get very excited when i see people using the cleat bags.

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
jwillgoesfast

PostPosted: Mon, 03.02.09 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way, there were 3 or 4 rants/eruptions during the final captains meeting yesterday, one topic included the lack of women participation in league... some were upset that they didnt have very good female tournout, some were upset that the rule was 5/2 6/1 instead of 5/2 4/3. lots of people expressed concern that we needed to significantly grow our female numbers in FDA before we start considering any more than 12 team leagues. (just an FYI)

also, from my experience; girls dislike cold a lot more than guys do typically...
Jatt Mackson

PostPosted: Mon, 03.02.09 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwillgoesfast wrote:
also, from my experience; girls dislike cold a lot more than guys do typically...

bitches do be bitches
Supafunky

PostPosted: Mon, 03.02.09 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jatt Mackson wrote:
bitches do be bitches

misogyny
LB

PostPosted: Mon, 03.02.09 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that we agree on the need for more women in FDA. Playing 6/1 can't really be called co-ed.

Maybe you only think the girls are more turned off by the cold because they had fewer numbers to begin with? I bet it's probably about the same percentage for men and women.
jwillgoesfast

PostPosted: Mon, 03.02.09 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LB wrote:
I'm glad that we agree on the need for more women in FDA. Playing 6/1 can't really be called co-ed.

Maybe you only think the girls are more turned off by the cold because they had fewer numbers to begin with? I bet it's probably about the same percentage for men and women.

sounds like a job for "captain statistic"
jwillgoesfast

PostPosted: Tue, 03.03.09 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right lindsey...after looking at the available data for WL09:

Women:
Roster - 62
Avg Attendance - 35
56.5% daily attendance

Men:
Roster - 182
Avg Attendance - 98
52.6% daily attendance.

This data isn't perfect, i am taking some average of averages...but i concede that you were right and I was wrong in my sexist comment.

in other news, holy cow! we had 248 people assigned to teams for a winter league, that is very awesome. regardless of other arguments we are doing something right b/c we are definitely growing.
kdoe

PostPosted: Tue, 03.03.09 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to refine the numbers a little more.

Women:
Roster - 62
Avg Attendance - 37.7
60.8% daily attendance

Men:
Roster - 153
Avg Attendance - 102.5
67% daily attendance

i'm not saying that these number prove the point either way, just wanted to get better data out there. To really prove the point either way, we should look at temperature and attendance for each day. I would say that you could poll the players and weather would be higher on women's scale of decision making when deciding whether to play or not then men's.

Jwill, I'm not sure where you're getting all your numbers, unless you captains have been hiding players from me. The numbers I used above are based off the numbers of people that showed up at least once. There were actually 164 men on a roster but only 153 showed up, and there were 65 women on rosters but only 62 showed up.
jwillgoesfast

PostPosted: Tue, 03.03.09 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that sounded too high...i was just looking at the count at the bottom of the names and subtracting girls...i think googledoc's count function has a bug maybe.

in other news, where was Beano all league?

was this the first league to break 200? we should have a ticker tape parade...
fluffy

PostPosted: Tue, 03.03.09 4:18 pm    Post subject: who were the no shows? Reply with quote

ohh, it's too cold .. the sand will combine with the water and create some weird icy glass thing somewhere uncomfortable
honeyD

PostPosted: Tue, 03.03.09 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think weather can be a factor (I hate cold with the best of them), but I also think it is how you make your people feel about being there. We have players outside of our captain keeping up with the new players, asking what they like, dislike, etc. making sure they feel welcome.

I keep hearing that all types of people play ultimate, so it stands to reason that it will take all kinds of motivation to keep people coming out.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: