advanced search

Username:    Password:   

Turk's Porn Discussion    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
honeyD



Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 64

PostPosted: Wed, 03.11.09 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supafunky wrote:
Jacob wrote:
JHess wrote:
Tuck likes fried chicken and has a humongous wang.

That's true. He also likes grape jelly. Jamal says, "Black people do love grape jelly." So add that to your stereotypes.


I love grape jelly and fried chicken!


and don't forget that third stereotype! Wink
_________________
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"


Last edited by honeyD on Wed, 03.11.09 8:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Supafunky



Joined: 07 Apr 2003
Posts: 1085
Location: Bentonville

PostPosted: Wed, 03.11.09 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just released: "The Purity Myth: How America's Obsession with Virginity is Hurting Young Women"

http://www.amazon.com/Purity-Myth-Americas-Obsession-Virginity/dp/1580052533

"The lie of virginityé─ţthe idea that such a thing even existsé─ţis ensuring that young womené─˘s perception of themselves is inextricable from their bodies, and that their ability to be moral actors is absolutely dependent on their sexuality. Ité─˘s time to teach our daughters that their ability to be good people depends on their being good people, not on whether or not theyé─˘re sexually active."

"So while young women are subject to overt sexual messages every day, theyé─˘re simultaneously being taughté─ţby the people who are supposed to care for their personal and moral development, no lessé─ţthat their only real worth is their virginity and ability to remain 'pure'."

"While boys are taught that the things that make them mené─ţgood
mené─ţare universally accepted ethical ideals, women are led to believe that
our moral compass lies somewhere between our legs."

Chapter one: http://www.feministing.com/purity_intro.pdf[/url]
_________________
YOU CAN DO ANYTHING
as long as you have a safe word.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JHess



Joined: 02 Oct 2003
Posts: 1462
Location: Fort Collins, CO

PostPosted: Wed, 03.11.09 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems pretty clear that you want this to be about me. that's going to be pretty boring since i don't think christ existed and i think god and moral sin are complete delusions. let's get back to the reason why this thread was started. if you want to start a god thread, go for it, but my experience with arguing god with christians tells me it'll get pretty tiring really fast.

turk wrote:
so if all morals are subjective with no standard underlying them then who's to say what is really ethical? You say porn isn't unethical because it doesn't harm others, but I would disagree with you. There has to be a standard we agree on.
we can designate ethics if we like. the problem arises when one group of people want to make something unethical for another group without abiding by the same standard. hence, your desire to make porn unethical is hypocritical because you wear make-up (which many people in the East see as pornographic). and there is nothing inherently unethical about porn. in your opinion it harms people and this makes it unethical. in my opinion organized religion is harmful and unethical. however we both, and everyone else in the world, agree that murder, rape, theft, are unethical. these are acts that one person forces on another against his/her will. that these are unethical is a consequence that no one wants these things to happen to them. this is not the case with porn. porn is something you do to yourself.
_________________
Hug it out, bitch.

Ari
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
trisarahtops



Joined: 10 May 2006
Posts: 827
Location: in my island

PostPosted: Wed, 03.11.09 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
turk



Joined: 16 Aug 2007
Posts: 300

PostPosted: Wed, 03.11.09 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JHess wrote:
turk wrote:
so if all morals are subjective with no standard underlying them then who's to say what is really ethical? You say porn isn't unethical because it doesn't harm others, but I would disagree with you. There has to be a standard we agree on.
we can designate ethics if we like. the problem arises when one group of people want to make something unethical for another group without abiding by the same standard. hence, your desire to make porn unethical is hypocritical because you wear make-up (which many people in the East see as pornographic). and there is nothing inherently unethical about porn. in your opinion it harms people and this makes it unethical. in my opinion organized religion is harmful and unethical. however we both, and everyone else in the world, agree that murder, rape, theft, are unethical. these are acts that one person forces on another against his/her will. that these are unethical is a consequence that no one wants these things to happen to them. this is not the case with porn. porn is something you do to yourself.


I believe that porn would fit into the category of "murder, theft, and rape" because it does harm other people (usually women) against their will, but we can't seem to agree on this. You seem so sure that we can agree that murder, rape, and theft are unethical, but terrorists see their murder of hundreds of people as an act of allegiance to Allah and in regard to stealing, would you tell a poor man not to steal to feed his family? If you take into consideration that someone is raised to die for Allah or steal to survive, you telling them that is unethical is forcing your views on them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RBill



Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Posts: 1572
Location: home

PostPosted: Wed, 03.11.09 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turk wrote:

I believe that porn would fit into the category of "murder, theft, and rape" because it does harm other people (usually women) against their will

wait a second, I'm starting to get the feeling we aren't talking about the same porn.. either your imagination is pretty off base or someone is taking you to the black market
_________________
Homey don't play that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RBill



Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Posts: 1572
Location: home

PostPosted: Wed, 03.11.09 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink
_________________
Homey don't play that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JHess



Joined: 02 Oct 2003
Posts: 1462
Location: Fort Collins, CO

PostPosted: Wed, 03.11.09 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turk wrote:
I believe that porn would fit into the category of "murder, theft, and rape" because it does harm other people (usually women) against their will
No, I'm pretty sure everyone involved are consenting adults.
turk wrote:
would you tell a poor man not to steal to feed his family?
No, but it is still unethical.
turk wrote:
If you take into consideration that someone is raised to die for Allah or steal to survive, you telling them that is unethical is forcing your views on them.
Their view is unethical since it is something they are doing to other people but not willing to submit to themselves.
_________________
Hug it out, bitch.

Ari


Last edited by JHess on Thu, 03.12.09 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Katherine



Joined: 02 May 2007
Posts: 198

PostPosted: Thu, 03.12.09 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding ethics, I don't think any of us live up to our own moral standards, where ever we get them from. The one exception to this is supposed to be Christ and he was only able to do this because he is actually the one and only God. Christians talking about what other people should and should not be doing according to their religion bothers me. To me, Christ did not have an agenda of ethics to establish, he was saying that who you are is more important than what you do because your actions will necessarily follow from this. You can be a better person by trying to act like a son of God even though you can't pull it off.

That said, I have a particular affection for Islam and would appreciate it if we didn't bang that old stereotype. There are plenty of Christians who killed in the name of their God, and it would be less inflammatory to use them as an example.

(I'm not lumping Turk in the group of christian busybodies as I don't think she has done that. Porn, like alcohol, is a legitimate problem for some, and the discussion is interesting. Is there anyone reading this board who would admit to having a problem with porn? Probably not. Probably no one reading this does have a porn problem. Any alcoholics?)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brown



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 1688
Location: UNM

PostPosted: Thu, 03.12.09 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katherine wrote:
Any alcoholics?)

Razz Teetotaling like Ulysses S. Grant lookin ass!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Elvin



Joined: 17 Apr 2008
Posts: 1246
Location: The Science Department's big Oppenheimer Pinata Party

PostPosted: Thu, 03.12.09 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trisarahtops wrote:


This is one of three posts on this topic I have read.
_________________
It's hard to get a table for one at Chucky Cheese when you look like I do....Oh, you're out of that? Then just give me Vice President of Ultimate Frisbee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
evan mcb



Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Posts: 1951

PostPosted: Thu, 03.12.09 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katherine wrote:
You can be a better person by trying to act like a son of God even though you can't pull it off.


You know who didn't think Jesus could pull it off? The fairies who raised him, that's who.


_________________
social networking
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
turk



Joined: 16 Aug 2007
Posts: 300

PostPosted: Thu, 03.12.09 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JHess wrote:
turk wrote:
If you take into consideration that someone is raised to die for Allah or steal to survive, you telling them that is unethical is forcing your views on them.
Their view is unethical since it is something they are doing to other people but not willing to submit to themselves.


For you to say that their actions are unethical would be you "forcing your views on them" right? So we can agree that there are ethical standards. Once again, different societies, cultures, countries, and upbringings affect people all over the world, so what makes them have similar ethical standards?
p.s. Katherine, I definitely do not think that all Muslims are looking to harm others for Allah. I also do not deny that historically many terrible things were done in the name of Christ. That was just an example that came to mind. I'm glad you've entered the discussion...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turk



Joined: 16 Aug 2007
Posts: 300

PostPosted: Thu, 03.12.09 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katherine wrote:
Regarding ethics, I don't think any of us live up to our own moral standards, where ever we get them from. The one exception to this is supposed to be Christ and he was only able to do this because he is actually the one and only God. Christians talking about what other people should and should not be doing according to their religion bothers me. To me, Christ did not have an agenda of ethics to establish, he was saying that who you are is more important than what you do because your actions will necessarily follow from this. You can be a better person by trying to act like a son of God even though you can't pull it off.


I definitely agree with most of what you said, Katherine, except for the part about anyone "forcing their beliefs" on someone else. For example, if a friend of yours was going to do something that was harmful to them or someone else would you "force your ethics on them" by telling them you didn't think it was a good idea when they thought it was perfectly fine? You might say that you would advise them to do otherwise, but you would let them make their own decision. In the same way, I am appealing to an ethical standard but not forcing anyone to make decisions based off that standard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sitton



Joined: 26 Aug 2003
Posts: 671

PostPosted: Thu, 03.12.09 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.museumoftolerance.com/site/c.juLVJ8MRKtH/b.1580483/k.BE32/Home.htm
_________________
"I'm Marty Stauffer, and until next time...enjoy our Wild America"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Designed by: Powered by: © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group