advanced search

Username:    Password:   

Tryout agenda   
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rachel_lea21

PostPosted: Wed, 05.20.09 9:10 am    Post subject: Tryout agenda Reply with quote

Hey kids, I would like some sage advice from those who have run serious, competitive club tryouts before.

We are a women's team. So, please tailor said advice to the ladies. The first tryout is on Saturday, May 30th and then June 6th and 13th. I would like to vary the drills a bit, but also have a couple of the same drills each time to assess consistency and improvement.

We have 3 hours. I have some ideas and a good idea of what I like to see in a tryout, but since this will be the first that I am actively running, I am trying to do some research.

Joy, Ajax, and Jody, I am looking at you. And, anyone else with constructive advice. Thank you very very much.

P.S. If you are planning to move to Chicago, are a hot lady and good at ultimate, holler at me. SPICY TUNA is our team name. Woot.

Love,
Rachel
jwillgoesfast

PostPosted: Wed, 05.20.09 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aside from basics, fundamentals and athleticism, I would want to gauge people's coachability.

for example you could run a more complex drill and see who picks up how to run it quickly, who is trying hard to figure it out, and who is like "I don't know how to do this drill, therefore its stupid." an example drill could be the funkey cut endzone drill or maybe a complex cutting drill where the two middles cut (1 in and 1 out) and they have to figure out where to cut based on a changing force.

if there was a drill that could gauge a players decision making skills and general savyness on offense, that would be useful too, but i don't know how you could make that into a drill...
Monster

PostPosted: Wed, 05.20.09 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wear sunglasses like the coaches in berenstein bears. that way they can't see you judging them harshly.
rachel_lea21

PostPosted: Wed, 05.20.09 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, boys.

i am hoping to check out endurance, speed, decision making, throwing ability, cutting savvy, and defensive skills primarily. coachability is also key, as i already know some ladies that are hopeless to teach.

anyone else? more details would be greatly appreciated.
Kearney

PostPosted: Wed, 05.20.09 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am a rookie, but I tried out for numerous basketball teams over the years and scrimmage was always a staple. Idk if you had already planned this, but its the best way to see everything you have listed. After doing whatever drills a short scrimmage at the end was always incorporated, showcasing consistency in those standouts, and allowing for those who may have had a bad scrimmage day 1 redeem themselves.
jwillgoesfast

PostPosted: Thu, 05.21.09 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best ultimate drill
rachel_lea21

PostPosted: Thu, 05.21.09 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, jwill! i was checking out his blog yesterday and also had that drill already included...love the burn on defense. his post does articulate the drill very well.
xaja

PostPosted: Thu, 05.21.09 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for testing speed and agility 40yd dash, 3 cone drill, and 20 yd shuttle. Testing vertical leap is also good.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d805fea76&template=with-video&confirm=true

Andrea has some great drills she should post.
JmeK

PostPosted: Thu, 05.21.09 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a fan of

Collect stats
Light drills
Scrimmage
Lots and lots of hellacious drills and sprinting
Scrimmage again

It's always nice to see who can still make good on field decisions when they're really tired. Most people become mildly retarded
kernal

PostPosted: Fri, 05.22.09 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay-Per-View wrote:
I've always been a fan of this tryout video:
http://www.indemand.com/product/view/72003

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: