advanced search

Username:    Password:   

Creating a Youth League?   
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matchew

PostPosted: Mon, 05.24.10 10:58 am    Post subject: Creating a Youth League? Reply with quote

We're trying to get a mixed bid to YCC this summer and to do that you have to either already have a youth league in place or set out a plan to create a league. I was curious to see if any of you would be interested in helping. We'd have to set out a timeline for creating a youth league by the fall of 2011.

if you'd like to help i'd be glad to meet with you and talk about the application process. you can PM me or email me at michiganfan23 at sbcglobal dot net and the application has to be turned in by friday.

thanks
Third Conchord

PostPosted: Mon, 05.24.10 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corespondence between Tulsa and the UPA on this issue posted below:

Keep in mind that we are discussing two diffrent states and disc organizations here. I represent Oklahoma and Tulsa Ultimate Federation (TUF). Matt Seaton plays in Arkansas under the umbrella of our sister program the Fayetteville Disa Assocaition (FDA). Tulsa is in a much diffrent situation then the college town of Fayetteville which is less then 100 miles away. Tulsa is in the 7th year of spring HS based youth competition and in the 2nd year of fall non-HS based hat tourney youth league. Fayetteville has a strong HS based team but they are mostly all from one high school while Tulsa has 12+ HS programs that participate in the spring season that in turn play the top teams from the Oklahoma City area for a state championship each year.

A potential solution might be a partnership between the two organizations to create more fall UPA sanctioned youth league play between the two programs. We always enjoy playing the Fayetteville crew and would love to do more of it. Parhaps meeting half way (John Brown University in Siloam Springs) on a semi-regular basis during the fall seasons with multiple youth hat tourney style teams would be feasable. Basicly mini-tourneys on fall weekends. Perhaps drafted out of the same pool evenly and coached by UPA sanctioned coaches trained out of the expansive amount of local club players. Have leagues been formed that cross state bounderies? If so I believe we could help Fayetteville meet the requirements and at the same time provide high level playing oppertunities for our best under 19 Tulsa players at YCC. As you know we can not field a high level team this year and still meet this age requirement and thus have had to decline our bid to YCC this season. However we still have a number of under 19 guys and girls that would love to compeat at YCC with a Tulsa/Fayetteville mixed combo team!

Terrell
Tulsa Ultimate

Hey Matt,

I had a chance to look over your attachment. While I appreciate your honesty, my impression from talking with Terrell was that the area already had a bit of a club league going (where youth players sign up as individuals to a youth league and play on hat type teams), and that you all were in a fairly good space to sanction that fall youth league and pick your YCC team out of it in the future. I would think that a youth club league would actually be a lot more straight forward than trying to run a State HS Championship where you need schools to send entire teams. With a club league, you can gather all the youth players in the area, signing up as individuals. Wed like to give you the next year and half to really put a system in place, and in the meantime still be able to put teams together to come to the YCC, but you do need to talk to the organizers from FDA and plot out how you are going to do this. Youll also need to fill out the attached document, as it will help guide your thinking.

What we are hoping to do here is help support a youth club system that is sustainable for more than just this summer, and I think it sounds that we can do that. Id certainly like to help in any way I can. But at this point, it kind of sounds like you all are just hoping to put a team together without really thinking beyond this summer and thats not the goal of this event and how teams get bids. Dont get me wrong, Id love to have your team there and I think we can make this work for this summer. But I do need you to take the steps to fill out the attached document as requested (with plans and a timeline) before we can get to giving you all a bid.

Let me know if you have any questions or if youd like to talk about this over the phone. Im happy to help. Please get back to me with the proposal for youth club development by the end of the memorial day weekend.

Thanks!

Meredith Tosta
Director of Coach & Youth Development
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Mon, 05.24.10 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when's your deadline to submit your plan?

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
Doege

PostPosted: Tue, 05.25.10 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third Conchord wrote:
Please get back to me with the proposal for youth club development by the end of the memorial day weekend.
Elvin

Location: The Science Department's big Oppenheimer Pinata Party

PostPosted: Tue, 05.25.10 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third Conchord wrote:
fall non-HS based hat tourney youth league.

Theres got to be a more catchy way of saying that.
Kearney

PostPosted: Tue, 05.25.10 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third Conchord wrote:
Let me know if you have any questions or if youd like to talk about this over the phone.

random quote
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: