advanced search

Username:    Password:   

How many club teams can Fayetteville field?    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Supafunky

PostPosted: Tue, 06.08.10 11:11 pm    Post subject: How many club teams can Fayetteville field? Reply with quote

The answer depends on a lot of things, but here's some data from ADA:

Men = 76
Female = 31
Grand Masters = 8. I estimate another 7 master aged players.

The UPA roster limit is 27 with a 5 person out of region limit. We could field from the competitive ADA players only:

1 open team of 22
1 women's team of 22
1 master's team of 15
1 mixed team with 9 women and 17 men
1 open team of 22

Look for an announcement about a mixed team soon.
Steven

PostPosted: Tue, 06.08.10 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these projections are way too high. that said, i do think there is room for a quality mixed team.
stevie

PostPosted: Wed, 06.09.10 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many of those are actually willing to travel and pay to play on a competitive club team? it's different than dedicating 1-2 nights a week for 25$.
DrDoug

PostPosted: Wed, 06.09.10 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 22 player roster for Grand Masters Nationals currently includes 14 GMs (40+) from Fayetteville, plus 3 from elsewhere in the region and 5 from out of region. There are another handful of 30-somethings who could play Masters if they don't play mixed or open.
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Wed, 06.09.10 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevie wrote:
how many of those are actually willing to travel and pay to play on a competitive club team? it's different than dedicating 1-2 nights a week for 25$.

and then how many of those ada players are club level players?

i think fville is still too small that if the top women end up spread across a women's team and mixed team, you have two okay teams instead of one solid one.

and look what a mixed team did to the open guys last year, losing hopwood, matty, jones, andy, etc, was a big blow

(that being said, i think a 3rd team will lead to growth and i don't discourage a mixed team only as long as the ladies who have said they are playing hayride don't leave for it)

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
Joel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed, 06.09.10 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think jody is right if by field you mean "go to regionals." there are, however, a lot of people who also want to go to nationals. It seems to me that the ideal situation would be having a decent team in every division in the years that nobody expects to make nationals. in the years that the bids and personel look best for one of those divisions, the other divisions could still happen, but the respective captains would need to agree on who was getting the best talent to make a legitimate push, and who was having a development year.
xaja

PostPosted: Wed, 06.09.10 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
I think jody is right if by field you mean "go to regionals." there are, however, a lot of people who also want to go to nationals. It seems to me that the ideal situation would be having a decent team in every division in the years that nobody expects to make nationals. in the years that the bids and personel look best for one of those divisions, the other divisions could still happen, but the respective captains would need to agree on who was getting the best talent to make a legitimate push, and who was having a development year.

I completely agree with what Joel said. If the goal is just to make natties then the best plays have to go all-in on the division with the best shot each year. Qualifying for nationals takes 20 players willing to train and practice 5 days a week. XNA lacks this group of players so sneaking into nationals in the division with the best chance is the next best option.

I'm not planning on playing this year but this is how I see the bid breakdown by division.

OPEN
3 bids to natties
top teams:
1. chain
2. doublewide
3. Vicious Cycle (yep they are back and recruiting across FL. brodie is a maybe but likely. depends on job location)
4. Tanasi
5. New Tx team taking the 30 best players that didn't make DW

The chances Fay can field a team that qualifies are extremely low. I'd say this is a building year for men's.

WOMEN'S
2 bids to natties
top teams
1. Showdown
2. Ozone
3. FL team that qualified a few yrs ago is back

Hayride is good but not better than Showdown and Ozone. No chance they beat them in the series given Showdown & Ozone do better than the top teams from the central. I understand that Hayride wants to move to the South b/c of players but the Central usually has 3 bids and is not as strong at the top. The south is weaker after the top 2 or 3 though. Given several years of building things might change and Hayride could make a push.

The chances that a Fay women's team qualifies this year are extremely low. Building for the future year.

MASTERS
2 bids
tops teams
1. Mileage
2/3. Atl or Fl

Swillbillies has no shot at beating Mileage b/c they are not dedicated or athletic enough to stop them. However, if the Swillers recruit other masters and actually train and practice they could steal the 2nd bid. I give them low-medium chances.

MIXED
3 bids to natties
top teams
1. Bucket-top team for years, great but not unbeatable
2. Rival-average, very beatable
3. Atl's 3rd team

Notice, the top TN teams, Jukebox Hero(last year's qualifier), and Chewbacca Defense(previous year's qualifier) are not listed. All of those teams are done. Last year Fayetteville sent a mixed team to regionals that was unprepared and played like garbage and it still finished top 6. It had good players but by now means the best Fayetteville has to offer. It won't happen, but if the best 12 men and best 8 women in XNA played mixed the chances of making natties are high.

In conclusion, assuming the best possible roster available is used for each team individually, the chances for nationals are

Open: 5%
Women: 7%
Masters: 30%
Mixed: 85%
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Wed, 06.09.10 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the main reasons for hayride's move to the south is b/c there's a good chance the south will get 3 bids this year, the central region definitely won't, there was no strength or growth last year there. hayride got 3rd in the central last year (and may have done better having the fayetteville ladies that played codename last year), and is fielding a better team this series, assuming all the ladies stay after jody puts together this mixed team. if only we could take this team with all the fville ladies to central regionals...

i agree a fayetteville team could field a scrumtralescent co-ed team, but not until the open guys are on board

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
Jacob

PostPosted: Wed, 06.09.10 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xaja wrote:
Open: 5%
Women: 7%
Masters: 30%
Mixed: 85%

Arbitrary statistics are fun. Tennessee will field a good women's team this year. The open team has no chance of playing Sunday at Regionals with N1ck's current tyrannical reign continues.
DrDoug

PostPosted: Wed, 06.09.10 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MASTERS
2 bids
tops teams
1. Mileage
2/3. Atl or Fl

Swillbillies has no shot at beating Mileage b/c they are not dedicated or athletic enough to stop them. However, if the Swillers recruit other masters and actually train and practice they could steal the 2nd bid. I give them low-medium chances.

It's Hillbillys, Ajax. HILLBILLYS!!!!

What you say is true. We finished 3rd in the region last year with a squad of 15, only 1 of whom was under 40. With the exception of 07, we have lost in a game to go every year since '05 (twice in '06), and I know you feel our pain because you've been there.

Grand Masters came at just the right time for us.

Did Little Rock get the Regional bid?
jwillgoesfast

PostPosted: Wed, 06.09.10 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two thumbs up for the most ultimate centric and interesting thread on the boards in years.
tease

PostPosted: Wed, 06.09.10 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwillgoesfast wrote:
Two thumbs up for the most ultimate centric and interesting thread on the boards in years.

here here! I'm a million miles away and i enjoyed this thread.
adunn

PostPosted: Wed, 06.09.10 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making nationals isn't just about what players you have. The sooner Fayetteville figures that out the better.
Rohde

PostPosted: Wed, 06.09.10 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Andy, also just because you have the top players doesn't mean they play best together.
Supafunky

PostPosted: Wed, 06.09.10 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevie wrote:

Supafunky wrote:
The answer depends on a lot of things...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: