advanced search

Username:    Password:   

2011 Winter League Teams, Predictions, and Updates Thread    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven

PostPosted: Fri, 01.21.11 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two final predictions:

Chicago over Green Bay

Pitt over NYJ
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Fri, 01.21.11 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven wrote:
17. Cameron (2-2): Two relatively close losses to teams ranked ahead of them this week. Earl skipping pick up just two days after going 0-2 is not a good sign. Has this team given up already? Nice face-d last week, April.

i like to think we lost b/c i got hit in the face by lorenzo and stopped playing our first game and most of our last, and then the team was so devastated and worried our hearts just weren't in it

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
jwillgoesfast

PostPosted: Fri, 01.21.11 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top notch commentary, Steven. Keep it up.

Hopefully the weather will hold off on sunday and if so, it will be nice to see these rankings really start to shake out.

Casey, can we get some sort of insight from the supplemental draft?

Jeff's attendance shouldn't be much of an issue and like you said, he is definitely my ace-in-the-hole
averagejoe501

PostPosted: Sat, 01.22.11 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woot for consistent commentary.

edit: I am afraid of Toby's team, as I think everyone should be. Watch Abe Coffin for league MVP.
Jacob

PostPosted: Sun, 01.23.11 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven wrote:
1. Vikki (4-0): Comfortable wins over weaker opponents in Week 2. I dont see Pink (Cameron) or Kiwi (Zo) giving the red team their first loss this Sunday.

2. Toby (4-0): Handed two teams their first loss each last week. I have a feeling this is a team that will be frustrating to play against, which is good for them. They seem pretty well drafted, and I look forward to their matchup with Michaels yellow team Sunday.

Bolder prediction. These teams combine for 0-4 today. Red team picking up a tall, athletic guy who can throw really far in the supplemental is unfortunate for everyone. Calling Jesse Smith "Jones Lite" wouldn't make sense, so lets call him "Jones Heavy." Although he's looking fit. Stupid supplemental putting the best player available on the best team. Toby's women were lousy against us on defense and underutilized on offense. Maybe they should throw them a couple passes to get them involved and motivated to play D. They switched to a 6-1 ratio against us to put a bandaid on a gash.

Steven wrote:
3. Levi (3-1): Im not sure how far Jacob will be able to carry this team, but I see him as their X-factor. His shots down field will have to be on for them to keep winning games.

It's only too bad the receiving end of those shots is really predictable. Pink team guarded him with 2 players and put a 6'6 guy on me to mark. Joe Garrett hand-blocked my shit.
Steven wrote:
5. J-Will (2-2): I was always of the opinion that talent and athleticism trumps most any game plan, but [The Real Captains] good strategy sense certainly seems to make up for the white teams lack of both (apologies to Matt Jackson).

They have Matt and Jeff. It's not like there is a dearth of athleticism or talent. The problem lies in the athletes or the "good" strategy sense. This is my least favorite team in the league and I can't wait to shit on their party next week. If Jeff is your ace in the hole, then your milkshake does not bring all the boys to the yard.
Steven wrote:
7. Cameron (2-2): Two relatively close losses to teams ranked ahead of them this week. Nice face-d last week, April.

When Joe Garrett shows they're a pretty tough match-up on man defense. Picking up Dawson and Joe not being AWOL make this team really athletic. Lots of high percentage receivers and low percentage throws. Should be exciting to see which percentage wins out.
Steven wrote:
8. Terrell (1-3): Why wait until down 0-3 to sub in Stevie and Jeff for the first time? Maybe they just dont care about the regular season.

They care less about these games than Casey Boy does about this thread. I hope they enjoy being in the 4-Team B Bracket at Holt during the league tournament.
Steven wrote:
12. Wayne (0-4): Fayettevilles only perfect 10 was not enough to give Waynes Purple Reign their first W.

That's a quality dig.
CaseyK

PostPosted: Sun, 01.23.11 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 3 scouting report from the black team:

Orange beat us 12-10ish
The most enthusiastic cup we've faced yet. More than once I was surprised to catch the pull and have three people already on me. The ladies are more of a factor than I would have thought, but the majority of their game is Jacob and Casey and it works well. We ran man giving the underneath with moderate success. I'd like to see what happens if J&C step off and let the rest of the team play the sandlot ultimate that they're used to.

Sand lost to us 10-12ish (yeah! 1st victory)
Abe seemed a little off today (as in off the field), so we may not have faced these guys at their best. Good rule of thumb - if the player looks like a deep threat, then they're not a deep threat. We gave this team the underneath throws as well with more success than against Orange. Helen has gotten really good.

Jacob, when did you get all hearts and teddy bears for Jesse Smith? Must have been after 2005.
Kearney

PostPosted: Mon, 01.24.11 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axe wound took its first defeat thanks to some hastily made-up cap rules followed by dishonesty in favor of the Ham Wallets.

Apparently, bc whichever player, that was probably playing a point when cap was supposed to be blown, didn't blow the horn, the cap does NOT come on. Thank God the only thing that limits this damn sport is a score or time limit. Let's do our best to not follow those guidelines.

Then we beat Lorenzo.
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Mon, 01.24.11 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after reading the rules in the book, it turns out, it was played how it was supposed to. though the arguments at the time were incorrect. the cap came on, so we added 1 point to the higher score and played to that point. cap came on, the score was 10-9, we played to 11.

Kearney

PostPosted: Mon, 01.24.11 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCOBaller wrote:
after reading the rules in the book, it turns out, it was played how it was supposed to. though the arguments at the time were incorrect. the cap came on, so we added 1 point to the higher score and played to that point. cap came on, the score was 10-9, we played to 11.

Which book? because in the 11th edition (you know, the current one) V. 1c.

"A hard time cap is the ending of the game once a predetermined time of play has elapsed and after the current scoring attempt is completed. If the score is tied, play continues until one additional goal is scored."

cap came on during the point of 10-8. You scored. 10-9 Game over, tough loss. Fortunately for you however, your teammate that called out the correct time when asked during that point, 1:50, changed his mind after we asked him the time he yelled to 1:49.
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Mon, 01.24.11 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, the booklets caseyk handed out to the captains with the league rules, not the 11th edition rules. they made the right decision based on what's in the league binders.

RandomHero

PostPosted: Mon, 01.24.11 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCOBaller wrote:
haha, the booklets caseyk handed out to the captains with the league rules, not the 11th edition rules. they made the right decision based on what's in the league binders.

apey is right kearney, sorry.

it's true is makes no sense to call it soft cap and add one... it's not exactly brilliant and I don't think it reflects the true idea of the 11th edition rules.... which brings me to my next point...

...if league(s) are intended to teach new players the game of ultimate and get them hooked then why are our league rules random each year instead of being as close to the official USAUltimate rulebook as possible... as well I personally am tired of seeing the "it's league, let it go" idea hollered from the rooftops but then retracted on a case by case basis depending on what benefit you veteran players who should be worried more about "teaching" your rookies.

case and point... Steven Rice (love the guy to death, let me say that before we start this off)... forces us to take the disc back after scoring post-michael mclaughlin injury that had little to no bearing on the play (admitted by michael himself) but then as one of his girls (clark) is walking the disc up to the line later in the game she drops it as she's cleaning it off, an obvious turn, but Steven doesn't wish to speak up to the rules at that point...

i personally have no cares about this or any other FDA leagues, they are just hear for me to play in on sunday or tuesday so i'm not bored but if you truly want to grow the sport in this region then the veterans in this "ultimate community" need to get on the same page about some stuff.
Jacob

PostPosted: Mon, 01.24.11 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kearney wrote:
Apparently, bc whichever player, that was probably playing a point when cap was supposed to be blown, didn't blow the horn, the cap does NOT come on.

Cap rules change at every tournament. The best you can do is learn what is applicable for the current situation. I did this during week one of league. No one is holding Kearney's hand this year and his inane post expecting sympathy is out of place. Considering the same TD that Kearney complains about secured him a free league for supplying his ample *sarcasm* knowledge and help to a fledgling captain at the draft while also pumping his own captain with information. Blame Vikki. Blame yourself. Hold off on blaming the only person who volunteered for the job. Your 2011 college team president. Stay classy LS.

RandomHero wrote:
case and point... Steven Rice (love the guy to death, let me say that before we start this off)... forces us to take the disc back after scoring post-michael mclaughlin injury that had little to no bearing on the play (admitted by michael himself) but then as one of his girls (clark) is walking the disc up to the line later in the game she drops it as she's cleaning it off, an obvious turn, but Steven doesn't wish to speak up to the rules at that point

Steven only makes calls from the sidelines. Duh.
Steven

PostPosted: Mon, 01.24.11 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandomHero wrote:
Steven doesn't wish to speak up to the rules at that point...

Frankly I was surprised that nobody on your team called it a turn. I don't think anybody from our team would have argued that. I suppose I could have gone against the interests of my team to make sure the rules were enforced equally and fairly though.

RandomHero wrote:
Steven Rice forces us to take the disc back after scoring post-michael mclaughlin injury that had little to no bearing on the play

We both know that there is little question that the disc should have come back, whether the injury had any bearing on the play or not. The rules are clear on that. However, the throw went right over the top of Michael while he was laying on the ground, unable to play because of injury. At first he did say that "no, its ok, dont worry about it", but after a moment to collect his thoughts (along with ample prodding from me), everyone involved thought it was right to bring it back. Sidenote for those not there: we did end up scoring that point, which completed our first up-wind break and was a pretty big turning point in the game. Props to the orange team for doing what I thought was the right thing.

With regard to the "its league, let it go" mantra, I guess it's obvious I'm in the "its league, play by the rules" camp. I very much enjoy the competition and rivalry in Fayetteville leagues and wouldn't want those to be diminished by ignoring the rules of the sport at our whim.
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Mon, 01.24.11 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kearney, i agree, if it was a hard cap 11th edition, then the game would have been over and we would have lost 10-9. but if it makes you feel any better, after beating you, we lost to the only team that had lost every game until then.

Jacob

PostPosted: Mon, 01.24.11 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven wrote:
Sidenote for those not there: we did end up scoring that point, which completed our first up-wind break and was a pretty big turning point in the game.

Your sidenote is incorrect. It should have been our first up-wind break. More sympathy for Michael if he didn't return to the game and leave with a different injury later and then return to the game again. Stay your ass off the field if you're fragile, Jay Cutler. You scored your first upwind break on the look off the dump/hammer by our third round pick (Thanks Kearney for your ample knowledge, btw) during the "Throw it to fucking Casey" sequence. It's cute you tried to paint the picture for the folks at home though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 6 of 16

Jump to: