advanced search

Username:    Password:   

Free State Classic Results    Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kearney

PostPosted: Sun, 02.27.11 10:30 pm    Post subject: Free State Classic Results Reply with quote

This past weekend the college kids went to Overland Park, Kansas to play at the Overland Park Soccer Complex (one of the premier soccer destinations in the nation) to play through snow covered turf fields and 35 degree weather.

Saturday: We wanted this to be a tournament to build our teams depth, and decided to do this, me and matty would play limited roles. Played Mizzou first, they went on a 5-0 run, and we were only able to put in 1 before they took half 7-1. Things got ironed out after non-traditional roles were being played by players, and a comeback ensued, but to little to late. (all scores on score reporter).

2nd game: Missouri S&T (Rolla) - A team we didn't want to (or ever have?) lose to, but we did. We took the lead, but some miscues and unfortunate events let Miner Threat take it 13-11. We were now out of the Sunday morning BYE, and Tulsa was next. We rolled both them and Nebraska-Omaha using our bench and teaching new things.

Last game was against the number 1 seed Iowa. We put in kill lines to see how we stood up to a nationals- caliber team. After starting a bit shaky, we were able to get through there holds and jars on our cuts, their horrendous fouls on the marks, and ridiculous pick calls to trade points, get D's, throw bombs, and score some breaks. However, they came too little and too late, as we lost 13-9. The game seemed much closer than the score indicates, and it was by far a great showing by Ludicrous Speed.

Sunday:

First game- Truman State- Used quite a bit of our bench to easily put them away. score was somewhere around 15-7. Solid play through the entire game by LS

2nd game- Heated Rivalry with KU. They came from a bye, came out strong, and we continued to answer. After getting 2 breaks, we were only able to maintain serve 8-7 at half. More breaks ensued, and we were up 14-12. Unable to put in the 15th, it was tied 14-14 at hard cap, game to 16. The last 2 points were beyond intense, and our playmakers came up huge against a noticeably tired KU defense. Huge huck from abe for a huge sky by joe bell in the rookie-to-rookie game winner. 16-14 good guys.

Semis - K-state is doing work this year. with 3 starters injured, their whole team stepped up, and outran us (partially thanks to a forfeit from their first round team). Plagued with injuries (multiple toenails peeling back from abe's/my feet) along with general cramps and fatigue from the KU game left us high and dry against a fresher K-state. They took it pretty easily 15-7, mainly from the breakdown of our focus, and unforced turns.

we didnt play Illinois, for the 3rd place game, so we took 4th overall, holding seed, redeeming Saturday's losses.
Cam Wow

PostPosted: Sun, 02.27.11 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those were the nicest fields I had ever seen btw
Jacob

PostPosted: Sun, 02.27.11 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cumbarge wrote:
Those were the nicest fields I had ever seen btw

Cam prefers plastic to the real thing.

Last edited by Jacob on Sun, 02.27.11 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jacob

PostPosted: Sun, 02.27.11 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Free State Classic Results Reply with quote

Kearney wrote:
Iowa... we were able to get through there holds and jars on our cuts, their horrendous fouls on the marks, and ridiculous pick calls

Funny, because this was the team whose captain came and talked to us about spirted play before our game with them at MLC in Fall 09. Matty proceeded to shove a guy in the back to catch a disc, then contested the foul in the first half. I did not appreciate the awkward conversation with their captain during halftime about Matt's behavior. It was a bit out of character, so I guess Matt was just in a funky mood.
xaja

PostPosted: Sun, 02.27.11 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Free State Classic Results Reply with quote

Kearney wrote:
... so we took 4th overall, holding seed, redeeming Saturday's losses.

http://scores.usaultimate.org/scores/#college-open/team/1227

There is no redeeming losing to Rolla, blowing it against MU, and getting demolished by K-state. You finished 4th at a tournament where zero of the 12 teams in attendance are going to nationals. If you go to a tournament with crappy competition and you don't come home with a trophy then you failed. You did beat Kansas which is good, but I expect better. Raise the bar.
Supafunky

PostPosted: Mon, 02.28.11 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Free State Classic Results Reply with quote

Kearney wrote:
Saturday: We wanted this to be a tournament to build our teams depth, and decided to do this, me and matty would play limited roles.

[...]

Sunday:
general cramps and fatigue from the KU game left us high and dry against a fresher K-state. They took it pretty easily 15-7, mainly from the breakdown of our focus, and unforced turns.

I agree with Ajax (about placement). How does a Saturday spent building the team end with cramps and fatigue on Sunday? Good strategy to develop the team at this tournament on Saturday, but you should have gotten Sunday payback from that investment.
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Mon, 02.28.11 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the girls (unsurprisingly) won - woot! and though we had 5 club players combining with soco, we tried to get the rookies the most playing time and they definitely held their own. soco would have probably won that tourney if they just came up with their full current squad alone.

props to andrea and the other vets on the ladies' team, b/c they've done a good job recruiting this year. their new girls are strong and super fun!

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
auxarc

PostPosted: Mon, 02.28.11 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kansas game recap with picture of Joe Bell's game winning catch.

http://ozarkultimate.wordpress.com/2011/02/27/529/
Kearney

PostPosted: Mon, 02.28.11 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Building depth didn't mean the team didnt play a 5 game Saturday in a snow covered field that still required playmakers to step up and control the flow/comeback from deficits through intense play.

ozarkultimate wrote:
Arkansas captain Eric Kearney was frustrated at the juxtaposition in intensity between the Kansas game and Kansas State game.

We need to have the mentality to continue to perform. It is essential to compete at a high level with fatigue. Hopefully, we can regroup, learn from this, and find the passion, want and drive to succeed in our remaining games this season, Kearney said.

CaseyK

PostPosted: Tue, 03.01.11 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for always providing the unsolicited tourney reports. I like hearing how the weekend played out.

"Get your hustle on. Understand people are gonna hate you regardless. Get that out of your head, that fantasy world where people ain't hating on you. You gotta be grateful. You need haters. WTF you complaining about. WTF do you think a haters job is? To f'ing hate. So let them do their damn job."
-Katt Williams
Kearney

PostPosted: Tue, 03.01.11 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaseyK wrote:
Thank you for always providing the unsolicited tourney reports. I like hearing how the weekend played out.

"Get your hustle on. Understand people are gonna hate you regardless. Get that out of your head, that fantasy world where people ain't hating on you. You gotta be grateful. You need haters. WTF you complaining about. WTF do you think a haters job is? To f'ing hate. So let them do their damn job."
-Katt Williams

Casey, check the quote wall for a good one from your pops?gramps? this weekend.
Jacob

PostPosted: Tue, 03.01.11 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katt Williams wrote:
Get your hustle on

To be fair if the new kids knew anything about hustling or negotiating then they wouldn't have a forfeit loss in a third place game that is rarely played. Also, considering their roster improprieties I'm shocked they'd post an online roster complete with player's numbers.
brown

PostPosted: Tue, 03.01.11 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacob wrote:
Katt Williams wrote:
Get your hustle on

To be fair if the new kids knew anything about hustling or negotiating then they wouldn't have a forfeit loss in a third place game that is rarely played. Also, considering their roster improprieties I'm shocked they'd post an online roster complete with player's numbers.

19 on the roster?!
Kearney

PostPosted: Wed, 03.02.11 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brown wrote:
Jacob wrote:
Katt Williams wrote:
Get your hustle on

19 on the roster?!

Theyre all eligible.

and its 21, Logan and Lukas arent added yet, I had to do things.
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Thu, 03.03.11 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laurel (soco rookie) got put in the paper in kc - it's pic 6

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/27/2686520/free-state-classic-ulitimate-flying.html

p.s. since no one else said it, good job again girls

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: