advanced search

Username:    Password:   

SlackeRED 2012 WL    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Mon, 01.16.12 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:
p.s.
still no clue who this David Marfas guy is.

he is the orange team's captain

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
DrDoug

PostPosted: Mon, 01.16.12 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:
p.s.
still no clue who this David Marfas guy is.

He was out there on Sunday, playing quite well for a guy his age.
For the record, Marfas was one of the original or near original Fayetteville ultimate players, though he had pretty much stopped playing by the time I started playing here in the mid 90s.

So show some respect, noob. Laughing
Chuck

PostPosted: Mon, 01.16.12 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCOBaller wrote:

he is the orange team's captain

That much was clear from the start! Well, except maybe to Champagne...

Doug,
Thanks for that. The humor in asking the question almost outweighs my curiosity, and now I know! We play orange next week. Hopefully Mr. M understands that I mean no disrespect.
I'll go back to being funny and athletic now.
kdoe

PostPosted: Mon, 01.16.12 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very confident that he doesn't check these boards or even know who you are/possibly even me(gasp!!)
Elvin

Location: The Science Department's big Oppenheimer Pinata Party

PostPosted: Mon, 01.16.12 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdoe wrote:
I am very confident that he doesn't check these boards or even know who you are/possibly even me(gasp!!)

If I didn't take everything Doug says as absolute law then I would say being gone so long that he doesn't know king kharl kinda delegitimizes him.
Cam Wow

PostPosted: Mon, 01.16.12 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's made some amazing catches on our team, some of them I don't know how he does it. I feel appreciative to get to play with him he's an extremely nice guy as well
DrDoug

PostPosted: Mon, 01.16.12 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elvin wrote:
kdoe wrote:

If I didn't take everything Doug says as absolute law then I would say being gone so long that he doesn't know king kharl kinda delegitimizes him.

It's good to be king, freely elected and unopposed.
Elvin

PostPosted: Wed, 01.18.12 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDoug (has yellow fever too!) wrote:
Elvin wrote:
kdoe wrote:

It's good to be king, freely elected and unopposed.

Would you like another Dos Equis, sire?
Chuck

PostPosted: Sun, 01.22.12 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the TL;DR version:
Quote:
Windy
I met David Marfas
Red is 6-0

Orange is an ideal team for working the disk upfield with a horizontal stack, primarily throwing to middle cutters. The wind made it hard for them to play their game. As one player stated, it was as though they were "taking turns dropping it".
The only other memory I have is of a B.S. foul call (by Bagsley) against Clayton, who handled it with more maturity than I did. Later Bagsley admitted that it was a bad call.
That Marfas fella is all right.
9-4 (?) Red.

Pink had a relatively easy first game, so I was nervous that they would be less tired than we were for our match against them.
KEARNEY WASN'T THERE... must have been too cold for him.
So anywho, we start attacking the upwind endzone. Then this irritatingly good player (Sam B?) makes a great bid for a break. I think we traded until 3-3. It was VERY LONG. During one point, we advanced the disc (upwind) to almost their goal line, and called a timeout. We turned it over, and it could have been quite the discouraging blow, but we pressed on. This kid Sam caught a callahan (against us) somewhere around the time that it was 4-4.
We went up 6-4
7-5
8-5
9-5 and ended up winning 10-6.

Abe played as well as was expected, except maybe for a few rushed downwind hammers. Wes got more than a few handblocks on Abe. Helen got one, and even a 6-foot fat guy got one to stop a score! Abe played every point I think.
There was a ton of hucking going on, but we had Se(a)bass, Clayton, and Wes locking that down for the most part. So it was Abe trying to huck it... wasn't very effective despite his skill.

Then Sam B starts throwing and it looks like we might be in trouble, but the game was winding down.

Stu looked very uncomfortable throwing it upwind at all.

There were a few times when pink threw to their inexperienced players. The girls even made a pretty good downwind push...

Jacob leveled a kid.

-------------------
Our ladies did well today, the coaching/strategy was good, and our great players showed up. So glad that we can give CaseyK a better experience than his last time as a captain! Missed Levi this week... might be a long-term absence Sad

KEARNEY... missed ya.
Cam Wow

PostPosted: Sun, 01.22.12 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't remember the score, but I know we had 6 at one point, not 4
xaja

PostPosted: Sun, 01.22.12 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:

I was surprised to hear that Brosh elected for upwind offense during the flip. Either we would get a break, or they would score upwind (and probably the following downwind) was the rationale that I assumed Brosh was using.

FLIP 101
You can win the game before it starts. Ultimate is dominated by offense. Even though all games are supposed to be won by a margin of two, time limits and inept TDs have all but removed this criteria from the rules. Hence, teams do not have to earn even one break to win the game.

If you win the flip take the disc. Mathematically, you are given a greater margin for error. The only exception to this rule is if you find yourself in an upwind/downwind game. If weather is a factor always take the wind. Mother nature is a bitch; you want her on your team.

As far as the Brosh scenario, he may or may not have been wrong. If he won the flip outright and chose offense then he was wrong. If he lost the flip, then you chose the upwind side, and next he picked offense then he might have been correct.

There are lots of factors that go into whether or not you take O or pull upwind and try to get a D and then score upwind. Getting a D and then scoring upwind is usually harder then just getting one free chance to work it upwind without having to get a D 1st. However, if you have a strong upwind puller and your opponents are stupid enough to work it downwind you can force a turn closer to the upwind side and not have to work it 70+ yds.

Summary:
If no wind, then choose offense.
If windy, then take the upwind side.
In conclusion, eat the pussy.
Elvin

PostPosted: Mon, 01.23.12 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xaja wrote:
In conclusion, eat the pussy.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand reciprocate.
jwillgoesfast

PostPosted: Mon, 01.23.12 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well put Ajax.

for us yesterday, we were much more effective when we the downwind offense made an error and turned it at half field and only had to work it half way up. I don't think we scored at all yesterday when working it upwind starting on the goal line. (which should be the case also when receiving a downwind pull.) that being said, i understand that league is not considered by most as "real ultimate" but just wanted to throw our experience out there.
Kearney

PostPosted: Mon, 01.23.12 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:

KEARNEY WASN'T THERE...

Embarassment of last week + Ignorance of scheduled undefeated teams + First week of school = absence

Weigh that vs. my playoff watching, and my conscience is neutral.
Chuck

PostPosted: Mon, 01.23.12 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwillgoesfast wrote:
well put Ajax.

for us yesterday, we were much more effective when we the downwind offense made an error and turned it at half field and only had to work it half way up. I don't think we scored at all yesterday when working it upwind starting on the goal line...

Uh... get your own Winter League results thread!

xaja wrote:

FLIP 101
You can win the game before it starts. Ultimate is dominated by offense. Even though all games are supposed to be won by a margin of two, time limits and inept TDs have all but removed this criteria from the rules. Hence, teams do not have to earn even one break to win the game.

If you win the flip take the disc. Mathematically, you are given a greater margin for error. The only exception to this rule is if you find yourself in an upwind/downwind game. If weather is a factor always take the wind. Mother nature is a bitch; you want her on your team...

This might be the most useful thing I've read on ls-ultimate. Once, my brother ("the red-headed idiot", as your brother refers to him) was trying to explain to me the importance of offense in the game, and why I might always be on the D-line. This discourse clears up some confusion I had.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: