advanced search

Username:    Password:   

The life of a League Captain    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwillgoesfast

PostPosted: Sun, 02.05.12 9:37 pm    Post subject: The life of a League Captain Reply with quote

Since I don't have enough insight to add much commentary to the league or games, I'd like to tell a little story.

December 1:
I Receive an email from FDA to sign up for league. I consider signing up as a captain, the idea of getting to hand pick my team and discounted price is enticing, but being a captain is also more responsibility, more mentally tiring, you've got to get there early, call people, and usually less PT. Regardless, I really enjoy being a captain, so I bite the bullet.

December 27th: 6:30
I quickly run through the sign ups to rank players for the draft. My biggest concern with being a good captain this year was my lack of knowledge of the younger players, and much to my chagrin as I dig into the list there are lots of un-recognizable names. So I rank who I know, do a little facebooking and make the best guess I can with everyone else.

December 27th: 7:35 (I show up 5 mins late to the draft, the pizza is already cold)
I walk in late, grab a beer and the last seat at the drafting table. Fortunately I have plenty of time to eat and get set up as half the captains are just starting to run through the list of sign ups and sorting it all out on paper (I live and breathe excel). I was getting pretty worried as I looked at the sign ups and see lots of missing first round names like NWB, king kharl, etc. The quality of this league is not looking so great. I look around the table and see some veteran captains and some rookies. I'm not sure how up to the drafting strategy my opponents will be but I strap in.

The Draft:
We get started and it is decided that most of us have to pick ourselves first round, Mills makes the biggest fuss, but I'd argue that most of us aren't really good enough to be first rounders, but being captains we are more motivated to play hard and the smaller pool of talent this year makes it a wash.

Jody gets drafted first pick and I take a sigh of relief. Then travis, and I try to hold in my smile. Then mostly captains and some other rabble. I forgot that Boy had "signed up last minute" and wasn't on my list so I excitedly grab my first pick, happy to get him, then wax quickly takes boy and I vex with a mixture of regret and "maybe/probably its for the best", I've been on lots of league teams with Boy, and we were good but we'd never won. As the rounds went on, I drafted a few names I knew then took my best guess on the names I didn't. I got a few lucky picks and a few unlucky ones, but overall came out with a healthy looking crew.

The drafting order worked out in my favor for the most part, and I was lucky enough to grab Andrea, a rookie and a 12 year old for females. In this league, i'll take it.

I feel pretty good about the way teams panned out, but I've got the nagging thought of what the supplemental draft will look like. my hope is that none of the top teams will grab a "hot" pickup and that I'll be able to snag one more female. (As we all know, that did not end up being the case.)

January 8
Week one, the weather is nice for January and the smell of turf is in the air. We start off against one of the top "ranked" teams but I'm excited to kick things off with a bang. The biggest shock in this game was realizing that "these kids are growing up" on both teams HS kids were making names for themselves. Red played quite well, but I felt it was our offense that dropped the proverbial ball and we should have been able to make it a much closer game, dispute not having our college guys in town yet...Even though I didn't actually know who those guys even were. We end the first week 1-1 and I'm content, looking forward to the following week against more tough opponents but with our full team.

January 22
The league is in full swing and the standings are starting to sort themselves out, as well as the scrumtralescent breeze of controversy rolling through the supplemental draft as it always does.

All in all, i'm quite surprised and impressed at how competitive the teams end up being and very happy with the nice weather we have been blessed with. As my 4th winter league to captain, i'm falling into my typical spot as a captain, almost every league I tend to linger in the 3rd or 4th place spot and this year is no different.

At this point, I think the league has been successful in doing its job. Lots of new players are having fun, lots of old players are getting to shake off some scales and have some fun too, and just enough competitiveness and controversy is mixed in to keep it interesting. The biggest thing missing is NWB both on the field and in the commentary, but bjax (does anyone even call him that anymore) has done a good job of entertaining us mid-week. If only we were smart enough as a group to come up with some way to balance fairness and pairity and grace (to those who forgot to signup, etc) in the supplimental.

Love, jwill
Cam Wow

PostPosted: Sun, 02.05.12 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was entertaining haha
Elvin

Location: The Science Department's big Oppenheimer Pinata Party

PostPosted: Mon, 02.06.12 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would've liked a little more of JWill's personal life outside of frisbee, but not bad.
stevie

PostPosted: Mon, 02.06.12 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: The life of a League Captain Reply with quote

jwillgoesfast wrote:
. If only we were smart enough as a group to come up with some way to balance fairness and pairity and grace (to those who forgot to signup, etc) in the supplimental.l

i don't think it's a matter of smarts, it's pretty impossible to do. this is going to be rehashing old issues I'm sure, but why not get rid of the supplemental? I always liked that about ADA and in SLC winter league they don't have it and it's so much less of a hassle. I can see keeping it for first timers to league, but people who have been playing should know better by now.
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Mon, 02.06.12 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the EC has already discussed and will probably move forward on making it a rule that only brand new players will be allowed to join after the draft for summer league. but we will also send out mailers and all means of communication for draft signing up, so there really won't be a good excuse to miss the sign up.

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
Supafunky

PostPosted: Mon, 02.06.12 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh. I was really into your story and waiting for something to happen or some point to be made. Then you end with a soft little whimper. I appreciate that you shared. Keep up the good work in 3rd or 4th place.
jwillgoesfast

PostPosted: Mon, 02.06.12 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@jody Sorry I didn't end with a bang, I thought about trying to throw some political punch in at the end, but that's not really my role on this forum.

@ supplemental I give the no supplemental draft idea two thumbs up (w/ exception for brand new players). I may also campaign to allow all but "ringer" females in as well, since we are so lacking in that area as a concession.

Evan, you are welcome to read my blog anytime to get a deeper in the life and heart of jwill.

www.wearmyheartonmysleevepleasedontripitout.blogspot.com
kdoe

PostPosted: Wed, 02.08.12 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also say that not having a supplemental would be a good idea. Joel and I both worked towards that as League coordinators in the past, but the general membership was always against it, so glad this is changing(although the people who post here are a small but active part of the people who play).

I would disagree on letting vet females in, because number of females is a major factor in trying to decide how many league teams to have. They should be the one's most targeted to make sure they get signed up early.

I would also say that the FDA should allow out-of-towners that aren't brand new to ultimate jump in for a week. I've traveled to a lot of other places and been out to their leagues as an out-of-towner. Some allow you to play, some allow it if the other teams alright with it, and some don't allow it. I think being able to play over not being able to allows those out of towners to see how fun our community is and maybe want to come play with us in the future, plus it just spreads that ulty love in general and you never know when that comes in handy. Even if you went to the policy Denver summer league has, which is that its not really allowed but you can go around and ask teams that are short on numbers and usually both captains are fine with it, would be better than saying no and encourage travelers to come out with the possibility of playing.
BOOBY SAUCE

PostPosted: Thu, 02.09.12 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, the yearly bitching (and the "we need to do this") about league, and not one person was around when the league was formed in the first place. The league was formed for 3 reasons. 1) to give everyone an outlet to play ultimate (at one time you had to actually leave town and drive to a tournament if you wanted to be competitive (no one does this so they use a fun rec. league to get what "they" want out of league) 2) to recruit more and new players (new players don't stick around because the ultracompetitive doooshes play all the points and leave the newbies shivering on the sideline) and at one time captains were required to recruit and 3) to have fun (hard to do when all anyone cares about is winning). Making rules that restrict players from entering the league is bullshit. You want to win at all costs, play ADA. Thats why we have it. And from the attendance problems from ADA last year, maybe not that many people want to play that way. My team is having a hard time this year, but we have some newer players who keep coming out every week. A WIN in my book.
Supafunky

PostPosted: Thu, 02.09.12 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOOBY SAUCE wrote:
ah, the yearly bitching (and the "we need to do this") about league, and not one person was around when the league was formed in the first place.

Why the league was created in the first place is much less relevant than what we, the current players, want to get out of it NOW.
BOOBY SAUCE wrote:
The league was formed for 3 reasons. 1) to give everyone an outlet to play ultimate (at one time you had to actually leave town and drive to a tournament if you wanted to be competitive (no one does this so they use a fun rec. league to get what "they" want out of league)

Good reason to form a league. Bad use of current data. (To be fair, you didn't really use data, you just made a broad statement as if it was fact.) "No one does this". Really? I would actually point to the most vocal people in these discussions and show you how most of them actually do travel to tournaments.

BOOBY SAUCE wrote:
2) to recruit more and new players (new players don't stick around because the ultracompetitive doooshes play all the points and leave the newbies shivering on the sideline)

Good reason to form a league immediately followed by another unsubstantiated statement presented as fact. it may be true for some new players, but certainly not all.

BOOBY SAUCE wrote:

3) to have fun (hard to do when all anyone cares about is winning).

Wow! The pattern continues. This one is great because it's so easy to refute. It's actually very easy to have fun when all you care about is winning, as long as your winning. Wink

BOOBY SAUCE wrote:

Making rules that restrict players from entering the league is bullshit.

Disagree. Depends on the rules. I think it is completely fair to expect people to comply with deadlines and deal with the consequences when they don't. We have to judge these rules on how they help us meet our goals for the league.

BOOBY SAUCE wrote:

You want to win at all costs, play ADA. Thats why we have it.

Winning at all costs is not why we have ADA. We have it for a higher level of competitive play, but never win at all costs. for now, let's get back to FDA.

The FDA is still hosting a SPORT league. We are still keeping score and crowning a champion. We all need to get over this idea that play is either competitive or not and that mixing the two is somehow taboo. It's not whether we are competitive or driving to win, but how.

In a small market (like NWA), we don't have enough players to set things up just right for everybody. Many of us will have to compromise. We should all start by not demonizing those who behave out of the way we think they should (Disclaimer: not talking about extreme behavior here) or have a different perspective on what they want from the league.

BOOBY SAUCE wrote:

My team is having a hard time this year, but we have some newer players who keep coming out every week. A WIN in my book.

Most fun wins! Yeah!
Champagne

PostPosted: Thu, 02.09.12 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, correct me if im wrong, but...

Dwindling numbers + less brand new players=bad idea to limit players

I mean, right?

-Faded, oh so faded. Like a memory gone, there's no recollection. - Ben Harper
-Friendship is like pissing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its warmth.
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Thu, 02.09.12 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brand new players are never banned, and the supplemental would be limited to them only. but veteran players will be required to sign up for league in advance if they want to play and won't be able to get on a team after league has started. we really shouldn't have to deal with those kind of logistics b/c people can't sign up in advance. another advantage to doing things this way is shirt ordering and can save $$. if people who receive plenty of notice to sign up via multiple forms of communication, still don't, then they have bigger problems than trying to get on a team after it's too late.

jwillgoesfast

PostPosted: Thu, 02.09.12 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news: drafting my team for next year just got a lot easier

MVP Male - Jacob Perry (red), Conner Stevens (sand), Abe Coffin (pink), Kaplan Mauer (black), Casey(boy) Hooper (blue), Matt Seaton (white), Travis Lorton (lime), Brian Trussel (yellow), Justin Adams (orange), Alex McEachin (purple)

MVP Female - Helen Ames (red), Morgan Race (sand), Rachael Pellegrino (pink), Andrea Ritchie (black), April Johnson (blue), Alison McKenzie (white), Vikki Lyda (lime), Courtney Clark (yellow), Laura (LMac) Brewer (orange), Courtney Walbe (purple)

Rookie - Sebastian Duffel (red), Danielle Dawson (sand), Doug Wolf (pink), Ramsey Sprattmoran (black), William Knight (blue), EJ Schmuecker (white), Justin Carter (lime), Brian Trussel (yellow), Matthew Jordan Hart (orange), Kyle Carlyle (purple)

Hustler - Clayton Adams (red), Abe Gambert (sand), Stu Allgood (pink), Braden Jones (black), Luke Dockery (blue), Wayne Ramsey (white), Patrick Randall (lime), Jon Bitler (yellow), Andrew Cox (orange), Dan Evans (purple)

Hardest to Guard - Wes Axtell (red), Bob Walsh (sand), Sam Borgstadt (pink), Joe Delnero (black), Kevin "Wax" Waruszewski (blue), Kyle Detring (white), Paul Baker (lime), Jon Bitler (yellow), Justin Adams (orange), Austin Culp (purple)

Most Spirited Player - Charles (Chuck) Wright (red), Bob Lee (sand), Juliana (Ju) Toscedan (pink), Joe Delnero (black), Josh Perry (blue), Tim Engle (white), Amy Eversole (lime), Alex Kreps (yellow), Cameron Umbarger (orange), Jody Ayers (purple)
Champagne

PostPosted: Thu, 02.09.12 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about out of towners, people passing through, that arent new players but who also didn't have the foresight to sign up for another towns league? Like Jake Swift who is planning on spending time in Fayetteville this summer but might not have nailed the specifics until midway through league.

It doesnt matter if new players still get to play if we have teams of 3 and 6 showing up on Sunday... the FDA needs players and recruits, period. We are getting smaller and smaller by excluding people who may want to play but who may not want to invest as much time/ thought/ energy as we do. We shouldn't forget about people on the fringes who may be thinking, "Oh yeah, I kind of had fun at league last year. I want to do that again... Oh wait! I can't because I forgot to sign up two weeks ago..."

By the way I agree with restrictions and limitations as an ideal. I'm doing it for Harvest, as a matter of fact. But I'm not doing it for Dan Gabor, because I want as many teams as possible to sign up, even if it means a little more finagling and effort on my part. I have the luxury at Harvest to not have to worry about that, but not with Dan Gabor if I want more than 10 teams.

I just think, numbers-wise, FDA leagues are more like Dan Gabor, and we shouldn't be running them like we have the luxury of Harvest-like numbers.

-Faded, oh so faded. Like a memory gone, there's no recollection. - Ben Harper
-Friendship is like pissing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its warmth.
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Thu, 02.09.12 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

half those people (like in the jake swift example) don't fall into veteran fda players and wouldn't be turned away. by veteran, we mean previous FDA members. all FDA members get communication about leagues and signs up. i will have no sympathy for the other half who fall in the "oh wait i forgot to sign up despite being sent several emails, a mailer (which will happen when we ax the supplemental), and seeing it on the boards/twitter/fb" category , b/c in my opinion, there is no good reason to not have signed up when you get the info. so overall, we're actually helping those people learn responsibility with tough love.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: