advanced search

Username:    Password:   

Dan Gabor    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elvin

Location: The Science Department's big Oppenheimer Pinata Party

PostPosted: Mon, 05.28.12 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the party was awesome...which I also blame Will Sharp for.
SharpWill28

PostPosted: Tue, 05.29.12 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take the credit, but I'm pretty sure April's bar dancing raised the party level way higher than anything I could've done, not that I really remember.
CaseyK

PostPosted: Tue, 05.29.12 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

April mentioned something that I think is an important idea. Losing the reputation that FDA events are just a booze, smoke fest. I'm not trying to criticize any person or habit. I just think we turn off a lot of friendly, athletic people because they don't want to be associated with what they think is a bunch of partiers. LS recently made a recruiting plan to decrease the teams focus on partying so more students would feel comfortable in the group. FDA might consider promoting the same idea, especially at leagues - out first contact with a lot of new players. I think you are all great guys and girls, but it wouldn't hurt to put a little effort into managing people's perceptions. More sobriety on the field might clean up the game a little too.
kdoe

PostPosted: Tue, 05.29.12 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaseyK wrote:
LS recently made a recruiting plan to decrease the teams focus on partying so more students would feel comfortable in the group.

Aww man, this sucks. Hope they don't become like every other team out there that doesn't ever party and takes ultimate so seriously they don't have fun unless they win. Obviously there's a balance to be had, but be careful of going too far 1 way. There's a bunch of assholes out there that don't every drink while they play, so not sure that cutting out alcohol is going to make a difference.
Elvin

PostPosted: Tue, 05.29.12 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like LS went down the sober road once and ended up with aboot* eight players on the team.

*to be read in Canadian dialect
evan mcb

PostPosted: Tue, 05.29.12 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the best compromise here is to recruit only guys who don't like to party, and only girls who do like to party.
Elvin

PostPosted: Tue, 05.29.12 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evan mcb wrote:
Probably the best compromise here is to recruit only guys who don't like to party, and only girls who do like to party.

If I knew how to post pictures on here I would post one of Matthew McConaughey from Dazed and Confused right now.
Jacob

PostPosted: Tue, 05.29.12 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdoe wrote:
Hope they don't become like every other team out there that doesn't ever party and takes ultimate so seriously they don't have fun unless they win.

Bravo!
LDoc

PostPosted: Tue, 05.29.12 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdoe wrote:
CaseyK wrote:
LS recently made a recruiting plan to decrease the teams focus on partying so more students would feel comfortable in the group.

Aww man, this sucks. Hope they don't become like every other team out there that doesn't ever party and takes ultimate so seriously they don't have fun unless they win.

Because the only ways one can have fun playing ultimate is by winning or drinking alcohol.

Camaraderie, competitiveness, the love of the game itself, meeting new people...none of these things can be fun on their own?
SharpWill28

PostPosted: Tue, 05.29.12 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During LS tournaments we don't drink at the fields. Period. We aren't becoming a no fun, too serious team, but we are in the process of trying to adopt a better culture when it comes to preparation and when it comes to recruiting. Really the only thing changing is instead of all of our activities being parties, which kind of happened last year, we'll have nights of pick up basketball, movies, and other random things. We were just sealing ourselves off from a large portion of the university's population by partying being too high of a priority.

Luke, I promise you all the things you mentioned are a big part of our current team.

As for the FDA, the drinking on the fields was probably a direct contributor to what happened on Saturday, but really those teams were ready to argue as soon as the game started, IMO. A lot of people out there on Saturday were drinking, and most of them didn't behave in a way that would turn people off from our group.
Kearney

PostPosted: Tue, 05.29.12 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SharpWill28 wrote:
most of them didn't behave in a way that would turn people off from our group.

but those who did behave that way did it with much better production quality and larger stage.
Chuck

PostPosted: Tue, 05.29.12 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kearney wrote:

but those who did behave that way did it with much better production quality and larger stage.

I don't know... the makeout session that almost erupted between NWB and ("Don't call me") Boy was - at best - Jerry Springer quality. All that was missing was a surprise paternity test, and of course some kissing and/or punching.

Next year, we need to make sure to all have plenty of sunscreen on so that tempers don't flare...
clayclay

PostPosted: Tue, 05.29.12 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaseyK wrote:
April mentioned something that I think is an important idea. Losing the reputation that FDA events are just a booze, smoke fest. I'm not trying to criticize any person or habit. I just think we turn off a lot of friendly, athletic people because they don't want to be associated with what they think is a bunch of partiers. LS recently made a recruiting plan to decrease the teams focus on partying so more students would feel comfortable in the group. FDA might consider promoting the same idea, especially at leagues - out first contact with a lot of new players. I think you are all great guys and girls, but it wouldn't hurt to put a little effort into managing people's perceptions. More sobriety on the field might clean up the game a little too.

Speaking from the perspective of a high schooler, I agree with everything that CaseyK said. Right now, our team is promoting Summer League to a lot of high schoolers interested in frisbee as a fun, semi-competitive where they can get better and learn the game. However, it turns them off when they see a bunch of adults drinking, smoking, and nearly coming to blows over petty arguments. For example, we got 3 girls on our Gabor team who hadn't played real Ultimate before but had a genuine interest in learning and getting better. After what they saw at Gabor though, 2 of them told me they don't want to go to a FDA event again and the 3rd is nervous about going to Summer League now. Right here was a lost opportunity to grow Ultimate and spread it not only in Fayetteville High School but also Haas Hall.

Let's be honest. Fayetteville ultimate is slowly dying right now. The quality of play is still mostly there but we've been losing people for several years now. This is reflected with our current girl situation as leagues have struggled to maintain a consistent number of women on each team. We're going through a transitional period and the only way that we're going to keep it alive is through promoting a fun and friendly environment for everybody. I'm not saying we should completely cut off all of it because that's unrealistic but managing it better and not letting it affect on-field play is a goal we should aim for.
Cam Wow

PostPosted: Tue, 05.29.12 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen Clay! It seems we do have a lot of people who recognize the problem and hopefully we can turn our image around, having fun and keeping it competitive.
Kearney

PostPosted: Tue, 05.29.12 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam Wow wrote:
Amen ClayZ! It seems we do have a lot of people who recognize the problem and hopefully we can turn our image around, having fun and keeping it competitive.

What most people fail to see is this is what the EC has to do. And people need to be competitive in gaining EC council, instead of the one, maybe two people who get nominated (generally by themselves) and take the position.

This is in no way a crack at the EC whatsoever. It just needs to be apparent that if people want to see change, they must actively work for it.

RandomHero wrote:

No you can't just have something, that's what you [people] don't get you want it to come easy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: