advanced search

Username:    Password:   

Pick up 6/13   
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Wed, 06.13.12 8:28 am    Post subject: Pick up 6/13 Reply with quote

let's make it happen...it was pretty meek last week with some new players showing up. i tried to talk it up last night, so hopefully there's a good crowd.

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
mills

PostPosted: Wed, 06.13.12 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on heading out there.
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Wed, 06.13.12 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 7s

ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Thu, 06.14.12 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at pick up last night, the idea was proposed to move it to thursday nights, thinking it might improve numbers if it wasn't back to back with league.

opinions? i could get behind this idea, but also think it might be important to keep a consistent night, which would make wednesday better come august when school's back. or we can bounce the day around and it wouldn't matter since we definitely will have to bounce around fields throughout the year anyway.

Cam Wow

PostPosted: Thu, 06.14.12 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably come out on Thursdays, I work Wednesdays. And traded this next Saturday for Thursday so I could go to Solstice....so Thursdays would work for me, just not next Thursday.
Champagne

PostPosted: Thu, 06.14.12 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 reasons why we should keep pick-up on Wed nights FOREVER:

1.) First and foremost, we need to have one solid night (and solid field site, if possible) that is pick-up night. This night should quit changing bi-yearly. Tulsa has had one day for pick-up since its inception. No confusion on what day its taking place, where to be, or if there are any other conflicts during the night (re:college practice, see reason 3).

2.) People will make it out if it is a priority for them, but we shouldn't reschedule based on one or a few people's needs. I have rearranged my schedule so many times in the past and it is annoying as hell for me and my bosses, and certainly hasn't earned any favors. Make it one night and you can choose to be there or not, but at least you have a consistent base day to ask off for, if you work in a job where you need to.

3.) When college starts again, they will be practicing Tues and Thurs. One of the major reasons we changed it in the first place was to accommodate the college kids for three sub-reasons:
A.) College involvement had been lacking in years previous, some of that due to the inability to associate with FDA functions (like pick-up). No respectable college player would give up college practice for pick-up where we were lucky to have seven's. Which brings me to sub-reason...
B.) Pick-up has a terrible history of having numbers. Having it on Wednesday nights alleviates both issues, while allowing young ultimate players to...
C.) have up to 3 nights a week to play ultimate. Most competitive teams play 4-5 times a week, and it would be nice to give our college and other younger players that chance. (And yes, I get that pick-up isn't the most competitive forum for players, but at least young kid's hands get on the disc.)

4.) If you don't want to play back to back nights, please get off the couch. I know you're not that old. It's good for you. You should be out in the evenings, playin' ultimate or sumtin'. Da' Frisbee's go WOOO WOOOOOO!!!!

But for real, I get that for some two nights in a row can be hard to do, and I agree that they should be on separate nights if at all possible. An idea for the future might be to have leagues on Sundays. I prefer Sunday's so I can have an entire day to hang out and not worry about daylight and such. Some downsides to that are:
A.) It gets hot as hell for summer league and it's nice to play in the evenings. Sunday nights maybe?
B.) Also, I get that having it on weekends can interfere with tournaments, but c'mon, its league. The only thing that matters is the tournament, and that's on a Saturday anyway, so don't schedule it during an away tournament and it might work.

Bottom line, we should never, ever, ever move pick-up again. If you can't tell, it's something I've mulled over a time or two...

-Faded, oh so faded. Like a memory gone, there's no recollection. - Ben Harper
-Friendship is like pissing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its warmth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: