advanced search

Username:    Password:   

Darkside Traveling to Southerns   
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayclay

PostPosted: Thu, 05.17.12 10:25 pm    Post subject: Darkside Traveling to Southerns Reply with quote

This weekend, Darkside is traveling to Chattanooga, TN to compete for the Southerns High School Championship.

There are 12 teams so they split us up into 2 pools of 6 teams each. We're seeded 3rd in our pool and 5th overall. If you want to follow us, (I swear we'll update this time. My crippled brother is going as a "player" so he'll be updating.) just follow @DarksideFHS. You can also follow on Score Reporter here.

http://scores.usaultimate.org/scores/#youth-open/tournament/11172
Kearney

PostPosted: Thu, 05.17.12 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah Darkside! 3 seed in the pool - Come out hot and take out that 1 seed first thing and you'll be pumped to tear through the rest of Saturday. Good luck! One more twitter follower!
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Sun, 05.20.12 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the championship bracket! Good luck.

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
DrDoug

PostPosted: Sun, 05.20.12 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkside up 7-3 in the semifinal according to Score Reporter!!!
DrDoug

PostPosted: Sun, 05.20.12 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I frickin jinxed em. They lost 9-8.
clayclay

PostPosted: Sun, 05.20.12 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a recap of the whole weekend.

First game (University School of Nashville)

We played pretty well in this game. Our D wasn't very intense but our O was efficient and we were hitting our deep shots. Abe, Clay, and Kaplan led the offense with crisp throws while Levi, Cole, and Carlin Purcell filled their roles nicely with several scrumtralescent layout grabs and break throws. Naseer and Larkin stepped up huge on D and Hayden and Ian didn't go crazy with the disc. Meanwhile, our deep game worked well as Clay and Kaplan had some insane sky's. Although we lost the game 10-9 on ulniverse point, it gave us confidence for the rest of the tournament.

Second game (L.C. Bird)

By far our easiest game of the tournament, we jumped out to a 3-0 lead and didn't look back. This team was small and inexperienced so we used the game to rest our legs and give our young guys some experience. Hayden stepped up on O with efficient cuts and silky throws at handle while Naseer had several successful deep cuts for goals as well. Levi emerged as a solid middle to rely on and Larkin had some worked the disc effeciently at handle. Overall, this game allowed us to work in all of our rotation and get into a rhythm for the rest of the day.

Third Game (Lakeside HS)

We won this game in the second half quite frankly. We were only up 7-5 at half but went on a 4-0 run to put the game away at 11-5. Kaplan, Cole, and Abe repeatedly broke the zone while Clay and Levi popped the cup countless times and broke up the middle. We also converted most of our red zone opportunities and Carlin had at least one scrumtralescent huck that I can recall. Overall, we won this game 11-6 and put ourselves in great position for the rest of the pool. Lastly, Ian managed to pull off the incredible task of throwing the disc 100 feet out of bounds on the sideline (I still have no idea how.)

Fourth Game (Brookwood HS)

We didn't expect this to be a difficult game but Brookwood gave us everything they had left in the tank. Early on, we had several early turns which put us in a 3-1 hole. This was the first game where our deep shots weren't working and although we eventually adjusted to running a more short-throw oriented O, we struggled for a while. Our fatigue from having only 10 guys was clearly starting to show. Down 7-5 at half, we mustered up the energy to go on a 4-0 run and take a 9-7 lead. We then traded before the hard cap blew at 10-8 which effectively ended the game. Brookwood scored but since the game wasn't tied, we won.

The first day was a huge success for us as we went 3-1 with our only loss to the #1 seed on universe point. It also put us in excellent position to advance to the championship bracket.

Fifth Game (Carolina Friends)

This team was 1-3 in our pool but their record was deceiving because they lost 2 of them on universe point. They also had 6 guys who were above 6 feet tall which forced us to change our game plan. Cole, Clayton, Kaplan, Abe, and Larkin also played great at handle while Ian, Hayden, Carlin, Naseer and Levi worked the upfield well. This game went to 8-8 when hard cap was called. We advanced the disc to midfield where Kaplan smartly called a timeout so we could set up a play. We decided to put a 4-man stack on the right side of the field and isolate Kaplan, Abe, and Clay. The play worked as the three worked the disc methodically up the field before Kaplan threw a 5-yard backhand to Clay for the win. This put us at 4-1 for the tournament and into the championship bracket against Independence, the 1st place team from the other pool.

Sixth Game (Independence HS)

This was by far the most crushing loss of my ultimate career. We started out hot this game as we opened up with a 3-1 lead. We then traded to 6-3 before getting a D break to take half at 7-3. This was due to our deep game starting to work again, hard D, and several mistakes by their handlers. We then broke out of half to get it to 8-3 and thought we had the game in hand. With an 8-3 lead and only 30 minutes until hard cap, I fully believed we had a real chance to win the whole tournament. However, drops and miscommunications on O and extreme fatigue on D led to Independence grabbing 3 straight points and swinging the momentum back towards their side. They then tied the game at 8-8 which threw our team into panic mode. Receiving on O, we worked it around several times before a huge layout D by Independence gave them the disc at midfield. After two contested fouls on throws into the red zone, one by each team, they worked it around and scored just as the hard cap blew, ending the game at 9-8. I don't know what to say about the loss other than that I blame it on our inexperience (we had only one senior) and having just 10 guys.

Seventh Game (Grady HS)

Stuck in the 3rd place game against Grady, we were still reeling from our loss to Independence and fell behind 4-1 early. We proceeded to then fall behind 7-2 before scoring 2 straight out of half and at least making it a game at 7-4. Grady got 2 straight before we answerd back with 2 more to make it 9-6. Grady then ended the game on a 3-2 game to beat us 13-8.

Overall, this was a really fun tournament. We didn't do as well as we would have liked on Sunday but with only 10 guys (1 senior), I feel really optimistic about next year. Tim Caffery also did a tremendous job coaching and managed to make our team more disciplined. If it weren't for him, I don't think we would have made championship bracket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: