advanced search

Username:    Password:   

Winter League 2013    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck

PostPosted: Mon, 02.25.13 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure Jacob threw the most discs into Kreps' hands yesterday.
Four hand-packs and a Callahan??

Couldn't be worse than a certain Pink player berating his team and then doing the exact same thing he was upset about. Well, maybe.
eeville

PostPosted: Fri, 03.01.13 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma is a killa.
As the old adage goes; "Do as I say, not as I do." Smile

But that's what I love about Abe's team We have learned to play together (even with all my faults). And of course, I could do nothing without our other players. I think Abe did a good job this year, and I'm looking forward to the tourney and guarding CHUCK.
Twisted Evil
Chuck

PostPosted: Sun, 03.03.13 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to Black for a great season (13-1?).

13-1 was also the score of our game against them today. I think the most irritating (and wonderful, if you're Black) part of that whole hour was the 3-4 people on their team that I have never seen before, who can consistently throw, catch, and mark better than most players with a year or two of experience. They barely turned it over.
Obviously Abe, Kap, and Larkin were rather flawless (a few B.S. "down" calls*, but that's par for the course), so that helps too.

----------
More disappointing than a loss in beautiful weather is the piss-poor attendance. In the past few weeks, there have been quite a few forfeits (which apparently goes into the books as 13-0, right Jody?). Purple forfeited both this week. Blue was short last week...
We were missing**
Brosh
Clay
Alan
Kaleb
Julien
Nathan
Trent
Courtney
Lindsey
Brandy.

Black had 7 at game start, and maybe 11 by game's end.
Maybe we should go to 8 teams in WL.
Or maybe I'll start my own league, the
Dividing
Line
Disc
Association
(or DLDA, for short). If you are a sucky player and if youdon't show up (so sadly, this wouldn't apply to me since I show up), you are assigned to a random team with low numbers each week that you show up. And you pay (before playing) $15/5 for you first/subsequent weeks of play.

Of course, this isn't a viable solution (seriously, who wants to be told that they suck?!?), but maybe in thinking about how terrible my suggestions are, we can come up with some that aren't so bad.

*they were both down.
**"Missing" implies that we expected them to be there, which is a bit misleading. They are all on the roster, though.
SharpWill28

PostPosted: Sun, 03.03.13 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even hindsight is 20/20, but I admit I should've done a few things differently.

Our sign up numbers suggested that we had enough for 10 teams. My main point for this league was to have captains recruiting. Some did, some didn't. Some chose to draft out of town players causing short numbers on certain weeks, some chose to draft college kids who had to leave town on certain weekends. Whatever the reason, these past couple of weeks have been lacking numbers and I feel responsible. I apologize to those who had to skip games because of forfeits. For summer league and WL if I am in charge next year, I'll for sure do these things differently and am open to other suggestions:

1. I am not doing 10 teams unless we have 200 players signed up. I do not see this happening, so I imagine it will be 8 teams.
2. I will not have a bye week for any tournament. I overestimated the amount of Fayetteville players still goto Mardi Gras so needing that break wasn't necessary.
3. The only people who won't have to pay before the first game of league will be newly recruited rookies who get a two week grace period to see if they want to keep coming.

I've decided a combination of 2 and 3 were a result in the low numbers these past weeks. The break allows people to forget or become disinterested. The payment deadline gives people who were on the fence the opportunity to just stop coming. So instead, we just see which side of the fence they were on before league even starts. It may result in just an eight team league, but 8 teams with solid numbers and stronger talent seems better than what we have now.

I'm going to have discussions with people and see, but I think for next WL if I'm still around I'll toss around the idea of a time frame of 1-4. No one gets out on time at noon. Maybe they won't get out on time to anything at anytime, so we'll see about that.

Any feedback on any of this is appreciated. You can post here or send me an email at william.wms.sharp@gmail.com

I will have the tournament info emailed by Tuesday.
Thanks for enduring my learning curve with me.
Chuck

PostPosted: Sun, 03.03.13 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is a sizable difference between attendance prior to the $$ cutoff and after.
3) is definitely the solution, but it's not your fault. Ultimately we have a bunch of people - possibly not the same group every week - who are not showing up. Maybe we have some responsibility to make FDA a better experience. Or maybe they just need to keep their commitments.
Seriously, don't be so hard on yourself. We will all have forgotten this by summer (and nobody can really blame the TD for this).

So let's see what happens next time. I wouldn't be opposed to the more extreme measure of making payment due at signup.

My only real complaint (that leadership has control over, I.e. not attendance) this year is the shirts. They are for midgets. It's been that way every winter league I can remember.
Also, the Game of Thrones design would have been much cooler...
By the way, I have a scrumtralescent design for Gabor discs that was rejected last year. Champagne, you blew it. Fortunately the design is not time-sensitive.
Supafunky

PostPosted: Sun, 03.03.13 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:

Dividing
Line
Disc
Association
(or DLDA, for short).

Should be the Dividing Line Disc Organization or DLDO.
Chuck

PostPosted: Sun, 03.03.13 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supafunky wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Dividing
Line
Disc
Association
(or DLDA, for short).

Supafunky

PostPosted: Sun, 03.03.13 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:
Yes, there is a sizable difference between attendance prior to the $$ cutoff and after.

I dropped from average game attendance of 13 in the first 8 games (range 9 to 14) to 9 players in the last 6 games (range 8-9), but none of this is $$$$ driven. All of my players have paid. I've suffered from a combination of little rock players, illness, snow skiing, and vegas.

I think the break is a contributing factor, and would avoid them if possible. I also think that pay before you play at all is warranted.
Monster

PostPosted: Sun, 03.03.13 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supafunky wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Dividing
Line
Disc
Association
(or DLDA, for short).

More like...

Supafunky

PostPosted: Sun, 03.03.13 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:
Supafunky wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Dividing
Line
Disc
Association
(or DLDA, for short).

Hahahahaha. i'm so proud of myself right now. Wink
Cam Wow

PostPosted: Sun, 03.03.13 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good game Black and Sangria! Today was fun, even despite Blacks annihilation of our team, today was a good day! Wish attendance for every team was better too, at least I know my team will be mainly there at tourney. Good spirit all around today!
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Mon, 03.04.13 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting to 200 players before going to 10 teams isn't a solution. Last year we didn't have that many and didn't have the attendance issue. Maybe we should consider going to the fall league format of letting people form their own teams, plus drafting free agents.

Jody, you should look at the attendance info and do some stats on what percent consistently missed versus how much it was random players missing coincidentally on the same weekends.

Chuck, please email me your Gabor design. As for the shirts, order a size bigger? Also making design suggestions prior to the shirt order is more helpful.

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Mon, 03.04.13 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS I'm really disappointed in the lack of berating Will

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
Supafunky

PostPosted: Mon, 03.04.13 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCOBaller wrote:
Waiting to 200 players before going to 10 teams isn't a solution. Last year we didn't have that many and didn't have the attendance issue. Maybe we should consider going to the fall league format of letting people form their own teams, plus drafting free agents.

I'm not a huge fan of form your own teams, but it can be fun. I'm a bigger fan of Captain Training and a controlled draft. I think we should ask a little more of our captains and give a little more back to them. Specifically, we should train them on what we want to get from them and hold them accountable to that. Will's captain scores this year are a step in that direction, but we can do even more.

ROCOBaller wrote:

Jody, you should look at the attendance info and do some stats on what percent consistently missed versus how much it was random players missing coincidentally on the same weekends.

I only have the data for my team, but if Will gives me the other teams, I'm happy to crunch some numbers.
Supafunky

PostPosted: Mon, 03.04.13 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCOBaller wrote:
PS I'm really disappointed in the lack of berating Will

You had an opportunity to do this, why didn't you berate Will. This is just like league last year when you couldn't do anything right.

Then again, you didn't have attendance issues, so maybe all Will needs is some more people bitching at him. Not to actually change anything, but berating the TD seems to bring people together and creates an emotional bond to the league.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: