advanced search

Username:    Password:   

Lonely life of an angry lawyer, or, Dan Gabor 2013 preview   
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck

PostPosted: Mon, 01.28.13 8:48 am    Post subject: Lonely life of an angry lawyer, or, Dan Gabor 2013 preview Reply with quote

Yesterday's game vs Pink was a terrible display of rules understanding and Spirit - the former by both teams, and the latter by me and Nassir.

Then I hear that Red has no issues during their game with Pink, so I definitely get the feeling that I am mostly responsible. So here's what I can do differently.
a. Pause before speaking/yelling. Impetuous speech never did anyone any good. Nassir and LDoc were on the receiving end of this. And Cam, but we love each other.
2. Deal with meta issues/philosophy off the field. Too often I try to show these whippersnappers the error of their way while the stall count is going. Probably should bring it up later, when emotions are scrumtralescent.
d. General be-less-of-a-jerk. And coaching players on some of the more major misunderstandings in a tactful, appropriate way. That's a toughie...

To Nassir, and all who would defend him,
I find it increasingly difficult to view your calls as coming from good faith. You appear to have been coached to contest everything, never back down from a call, and then flatly insist that your call is your call and the game should go on.
You don't know what the rules are/say.
You don't know what a foul is ("__________ contact between opposing players.")
You are dogmatic to a fault, because you are in error. (In contrast, I am dogmatic to a fault because I'm an asshole)

Abe knows when he's beat (which is rarely), but doesn't call a foul simply because he can. Hell, even Cap has shown some improvement in this area since the last Pink team won "least Spirit" (we might even consider canceling the face punch, but let's not get carried away...). Why don't you take a lesson from your peers: read the rule book; make appropriate calls. As it stands, you remind me of someone who fanatically insists that I use less paper to "save the trees", not realizing that we plant trees for paper (of course, there's an energy/carbon aspect to this, so pardon the simplification).

The "contest everything" attitude is an adulteration of what our self-governing sport is meant to be. It may be the way you're trained (and it certainly will be, if you go to certain schools that LS has played against during my short time with the team), but you're only making the game less fun. Like the last 30 seconds of a basketball game where everyone is just fouling the winning team and hoping for a rebound off a missed free throw. Or something else not fun.

p.s. How about askingsome of your more veteran (i.e. more "Spirit"ual) teammates what they think about you calling a foul on Brosh's busted lip? Wouldn't you say that YOU initiated contact?
Supafunky

PostPosted: Mon, 01.28.13 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no specific perspective on these instances, but I would add that reading the observer manual can be helpful as well.
Jacob

PostPosted: Mon, 01.28.13 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Lonely life of an angry lawyer, or, Dan Gabor 2013 previ Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:
Then I hear that Red has no issues during their game with Pink

Red has no issues with any team.

Considering Naseer's meek demeanor he has likely been instructed to stick with his calls. This behavior can be corrected over time as he learns what calls should be made. This league helps expose players to just such game scenarios. Naseer has always been respectful and willing to ask questions. If you're not liked or at least respected, then you will be ignored.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: