advanced search

Username:    Password:   

Winter League 2014 Teams    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Andria



Joined: 05 Jul 2007
Posts: 144

PostPosted: Sun, 01.12.14 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The College Women's team couldn't attend sectionals last year, because of low numbers. This is the first time in the team's 11 year existence. As their former captain I want to see this change.

100% of the 20 girls surveyed said they dislike league. Most girls said that they feel like their male teammates look them off and do not incorporate them into the game.

In 2008, the FDA had 73 women sign up for league, in 2009 there were 69 women, in 2010 there were 60. This year we have 40. That means, this year we have enough men for 12 teams, and enough women for only 8 teams.

Other leagues around our region (Austin) would limit the number of men and would just have 8 teams. That means 44 of the men signed up would be cut from FDA winter league this year. We are trying the lottery this year to help each team have enough women on their team, so we can play 4/3-5/2 every game with a sub. If this doesn't work, then next league we can try cutting the men. It's trial and error, with the FDA not wanting to turn anybody away.

2014 League Rule wrote:
Female to Female scores will result in that team getting to be on offense again. So instead of your team pulling it after you score, the other team will pull it to you.


Most coed sports have gender specific rules. Softball: walk a man, the woman gets walked too. Flag football: At least once every 4 plays (not every set of 4 downs), the ball must be thrown by or to a female player. If, after 3 consecutive plays this has not occurred, the result will be a gender play. The official will announce a "GENDER PLAY" and the ball MUST be thrown to a female receiver on the next play.

Personally, I dread going to league. I get looked off, run over, yelled at, and am always exhausted, since I usually have to play every point. If I feel this way, and over 20 women talked to this month feel this way, why is it so bad that the FDA is listening to us and trying something new? It might not work. It is possible that this is the worst idea in FDA history, but something has to change if we are going to address the problem of declining female participation.
_________________
And while I'm on the subject, let me say something about Harry Potter. Warlocks are the enemies of God!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chuck



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 519
Location: Bentonville

PostPosted: Sun, 01.12.14 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SharpWill28 wrote:
The rule is that a girl who throws to a girl receives two points. The FDA is trying to find a way for guys to throw to women more because that happens a lot. Open women get looked off because guys view it as a risk, this is extra incentive. What isn't "equal and fair" is how much guys don't throw to open girls.
...

Exactly how often do guys look off "open girls"?
What guys view [throwing to a girl] as a risk?


How do these data compare to data collected from other demographics (say, kids under the age of 10, handicapped persons, obese persons, etc)?

If the motivation is really to "build community" and involve more players, why not award an extra point for getting a completion to every team member? Hell, we might even see Jacob throw to someone outside his top 3 this league! (Oh, in case my survey got lost, that translates to a +1 for "I got looked off by a guy")


AbeBabe wrote:
All the young players will be told they have terrible spirit

... well, you do*, but I can think of too many local veterans who have much worse spirit (and a very real tendency to get violent).

*by "you", I mean "Naseer and Kaplan" ... then again, even those two are getting better.

----

@Jacob - We're all proud of you for understanding arithmetic. But seriously - you have nothing to say about the FDA's conclusion that women are half as good as men? I would be irate if I were a lady in our "community", pandered to because Will and K-Do can only see my gender, and not my skill. Granted, maybe a few ladies wish they would get thrown to more. I'll just remind them of when you told me that Lydia's throwaway was my fault because I threw it to her (WL 2013?).

----
_________________
My (first) board game funded for ~$28,000 on Kickstarter last summer!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Chuck



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 519
Location: Bentonville

PostPosted: Sun, 01.12.14 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andria wrote:
It might not work. It is possible that this is the worst idea in FDA history, but something has to change if we are going to address the problem of declining female participation.

I appreciate your insight. Had no idea that a survey had actually been done.

Yet while I wholeheartedly support the motivations and goals behind this change, it's hard not to think that this specific course towards those goals will be anything but a disaster.

"Cutting" the men is almostperfect. It gives my fat ass something to work towards in the off season, and we'll end up with a competitive league. But what of the new/unknown men?

One solution would be to draft the "known" men ADA-style (i.e. the group collectively works on balanced teams)... maybe drafting twice as many men as there will be women.
Then assign teams, draft women, and draft the unknown/randos.

Thoughts?
_________________
My (first) board game funded for ~$28,000 on Kickstarter last summer!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Cam Wow



Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Posts: 369
Location: Faytown

PostPosted: Sun, 01.12.14 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last post...

I know arithmetic it just came out wrong when typing. Meant down1.

I don't league will be "disaster"

I don't have problem throwing to girls, but of 100% of girls don't like league then clearly that's not good and go for it, try something new I suppose.

Byes still suck but whatever

king kharl sucks

Winter League 2014 has begun! See you soon!
_________________
Don't ask "can i?" Ask "i can."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Elvin



Joined: 17 Apr 2008
Posts: 1246
Location: The Science Department's big Oppenheimer Pinata Party

PostPosted: Mon, 01.13.14 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacob wrote:
Cam Wow wrote:
Do girls really get 2 points for a score?

Cam Wow wrote:
"Alright guys, were down two... let's hit Andrea for the score so we are up."

In my opinion if a team is down 2 points and throws a goal worth 2 points, then that game would be tied. But maybe you're slightly retarded.


7.8
_________________
It's hard to get a table for one at Chucky Cheese when you look like I do....Oh, you're out of that? Then just give me Vice President of Ultimate Frisbee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Cam Wow



Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Posts: 369
Location: Faytown

PostPosted: Mon, 01.13.14 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always an early morning post for some reason, least it's less obnoxious than the usual. Wink
_________________
Don't ask "can i?" Ask "i can."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chuck



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 519
Location: Bentonville

PostPosted: Mon, 01.13.14 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam Wow wrote:
Always an early morning post for some reason, least it's less obnoxious than the usual. Wink

I'm sure I've mentioned already how Evan is the Greater Internet F***wad (Theory) in the flesh...

As for the whole "(x - 2) + 2 = x" thing, it would make more sense if we were talking about a hard cap scenario. Then again, it seems that the rule has been changed to "make it, take it".

And you can play league without paying! These rules sure are hard to keep track of...

On that note, I think I owe Casey Boy a few bucks from last WL Smile
_________________
My (first) board game funded for ~$28,000 on Kickstarter last summer!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Elvin



Joined: 17 Apr 2008
Posts: 1246
Location: The Science Department's big Oppenheimer Pinata Party

PostPosted: Mon, 01.13.14 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam Wow wrote:
Always an early morning post for some reason, least it's less obnoxious than the usual. Wink


It's pretty simple. The more you and Chuck post, the less obnoxious I seem.
_________________
It's hard to get a table for one at Chucky Cheese when you look like I do....Oh, you're out of that? Then just give me Vice President of Ultimate Frisbee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Cam Wow



Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Posts: 369
Location: Faytown

PostPosted: Mon, 01.13.14 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha not quite, but getting warmer
_________________
Don't ask "can i?" Ask "i can."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tease



Joined: 19 Aug 2005
Posts: 1418
Location: in your kitchen

PostPosted: Tue, 01.14.14 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:
How do these data compare to data collected from other demographics (say, kids under the age of 10, handicapped persons, obese persons, etc)?


Wow, let's do it. As a female player, I'd really like to know if my counterpart male players see me more as a 10 year old, a handicapped person, or an obese person.
_________________
woot (. Y .) hootie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Chuck



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 519
Location: Bentonville

PostPosted: Tue, 01.14.14 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tease wrote:

Wow, let's do it.

Let's do what, exactly?

The motivation for the (amorphous) lady-to-lady rule is the notion that those identifying as female are being thrown to significantly less than their male counterparts.

My suggestion would be to identify other groups who might also feel "looked-off", and gather data from those groups. (Now that you mention it, I would also add "players outside the top 3 drafted on Jacob's team", but I digress).
Sure, the groups aren't disjoint; I am rapidly approaching the [AARP + obese] demographic!

tease wrote:
I'd really like to know if my counterpart male players see me more as a 10 year old, a handicapped person, or an obese person.


There's no reason to introduce this. I sure as hell am not suggesting anything close to that. So maybe it was just a wild musing, but it sounds a lot more like a straw man...
_________________
My (first) board game funded for ~$28,000 on Kickstarter last summer!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Cam Wow



Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Posts: 369
Location: Faytown

PostPosted: Tue, 01.14.14 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it is hard to read posts and not see it one way or the other. Reading peoples posts compared to in face is always funny. People talk different in person, no mannerisms to read, sarcasm hard to pick up, etc. I got what you meant but I could see where someone would read it as that also.
_________________
Don't ask "can i?" Ask "i can."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RandomHero



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Posts: 1479

PostPosted: Tue, 01.14.14 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andria wrote:
The College Women's team couldn't attend sectionals last year, because of low numbers. This is the first time in the team's 11 year existence. As their former captain I want to see this change.

100% of the 20 girls surveyed said they dislike league. Most girls said that they feel like their male teammates look them off and do not incorporate them into the game.

In 2008, the FDA had 73 women sign up for league, in 2009 there were 69 women, in 2010 there were 60. This year we have 40. That means, this year we have enough men for 12 teams, and enough women for only 8 teams.

Other leagues around our region (Austin) would limit the number of men and would just have 8 teams. That means 44 of the men signed up would be cut from FDA winter league this year. We are trying the lottery this year to help each team have enough women on their team, so we can play 4/3-5/2 every game with a sub. If this doesn't work, then next league we can try cutting the men. It's trial and error, with the FDA not wanting to turn anybody away.

2014 League Rule wrote:
Female to Female scores will result in that team getting to be on offense again. So instead of your team pulling it after you score, the other team will pull it to you.


Most coed sports have gender specific rules. Softball: walk a man, the woman gets walked too. Flag football: At least once every 4 plays (not every set of 4 downs), the ball must be thrown by or to a female player. If, after 3 consecutive plays this has not occurred, the result will be a gender play. The official will announce a "GENDER PLAY" and the ball MUST be thrown to a female receiver on the next play.

Personally, I dread going to league. I get looked off, run over, yelled at, and am always exhausted, since I usually have to play every point. If I feel this way, and over 20 women talked to this month feel this way, why is it so bad that the FDA is listening to us and trying something new? It might not work. It is possible that this is the worst idea in FDA history, but something has to change if we are going to address the problematic of declining female participation.


You can blame guys and leagues all you want but there hasn't been a club women's team since 2007-08 or something like that (in fact there weren't enough this year for even a mixed team). So women don't even show up when its not league and there aren't men around.
_________________
Casey "don't call me boy" Hooper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cam Wow



Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Posts: 369
Location: Faytown

PostPosted: Tue, 01.14.14 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touch? Boy, touch?.
_________________
Don't ask "can i?" Ask "i can."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cam Wow



Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Posts: 369
Location: Faytown

PostPosted: Tue, 01.14.14 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the rules implemented will be a big deal now. I think if the girls like the rules then it sounds good to me. I think if we want more girls around league tho we gotta reach out to them somehow. Advertise! Billboards!
_________________
Don't ask "can i?" Ask "i can."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Designed by: Powered by: © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group