advanced search

Username:    Password:   

Worlds Update   
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster

PostPosted: Mon, 08.04.14 3:19 pm    Post subject: Worlds Update Reply with quote

My team lost to Boston Ironside 10-15 on the first day of competition (yesterday was rained out). Both teams played a wide open game with full field hucks being the norm. Fields were muddy but the sun was shining and everyone's spirit was good.

Here is a video preview of my Melbourne squad.

http://skydmagazine.com/2014/07/aussies-coming-melbourne-juggernaut/

Looking to have a better result tomorrow.
Jacob

PostPosted: Tue, 08.05.14 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those guys don't look Chinese.
Monster

PostPosted: Tue, 08.05.14 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 2: Came out sluggish against a Ukrainian team (insert geopolitical joke here) in our first game and went down 0-3. Clawed back to even but lost on ultimate point even though we started on O.

Went into the afternoon game against Prague looking for revenge and went up 3-1. Our O line never gave away a break and we won 15-9. We won the three way tie in our pool for second place, which means tomorrow we'll move up to the power pools.
Jacob

PostPosted: Tue, 08.05.14 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster wrote:
Day 2: Came out sluggish against a Ukrainian team (insert geopolitical joke here) in our first game and went down 0-3. Clawed back to even but lost on ultimate point even though we started on O.

Went into the afternoon game against Prague looking for revenge and went up 3-1. Our O line never gave away a break and we won 15-9. We won the three way tie in our pool for second place, which means tomorrow we'll move up to the power pools.

According to our newest mod: Cam Stats > NWB at Worlds.
Monster

PostPosted: Wed, 08.06.14 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 3: played Clapham this morning in power pools and lost 12-15, after starting in a 0-3 hole. We went back to the hotel and relaxed, getting right for the other team in our pool.

We took control early against Chevron Action Flash, taking half 8-4, then scoring the O to go up 9-4. They staged a late run, but we put it to bed 15-12, yours truly scoring the game winner on a contentious full field bomb.

We advanced to the top 16, and face Furious George in prequarters.
DrDoug

PostPosted: Wed, 08.06.14 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates, Nick!
kdoe

PostPosted: Thu, 08.07.14 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Nick!

Was the huck contentious because of the hucker or the catch?
Monster

PostPosted: Thu, 08.07.14 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contentious because the defender had the best angle and I had to jump in front of him.

Day 4: came out 2-2 against furious, then they went on a huge run and we couldn't recover. They played mostly junk, which shut down our huck game and forced us to go through the middle which we're not used to. We played better after half, but it was still a rout, 7-17.

We fell into the 8-16 bracket and played General Strike, another team from Canada. They were less athletic and less skilled, but due to a few injuries on our side and them bringing 27 dudes, we got flat out out ran. I went from playing every three points, to every other point, which sucks when your opposition is playing every four points. Word to the wise, if you ever go to a five day tournament, bring 28 dudes. It will help.

I also almost got in a physical altercation with one of their players who, after scoring a point, gave me the stink eye and mocked clapped. The next D point, I made sure to guard him, got a huge sky D in the end zone, then preceded to give him the same exact stink eye. The guy didn't like that at all and stopped the game, at which point the spirit captains had to get involved. We wisely didn't guard each other for the rest of the game. In conclusion, don't be a dick.
ROCOBaller

PostPosted: Fri, 08.08.14 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in conclusion, don't let the other team score

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
tease

PostPosted: Sat, 08.09.14 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stink eye!
cmohr

PostPosted: Mon, 08.11.14 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys placed (playoff bracket 1-16)!! congrats nick

http://wucc2014.wfdf.org/
Monster

PostPosted: Mon, 08.11.14 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 5: This was a couple days ago, before the tournament party, so it's hazy, but basically we lost our early morning game to Phoenix in a close fought battle ( much better than day 4), then lost to emo (a GB team) 16-17 on ultimate point. We finished 16th, which was better than our initial seed of 20th. We also won the party, but for possible sanction reasons, I can't leave a paper trail explaining why. Cool

Overall it was a great experience and something I can cross off my bucket list. Now if I could ever qualify for Us nationals....
SharpWill28

PostPosted: Thu, 08.14.14 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the write up, Nick! Really enjoyed it.

Did you watch the finals at all? Was it fun?
Monster

PostPosted: Mon, 08.25.14 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, watched all 3 finals. The woman's final was great (really close and exciting), the mixed final sucked (the losing team opened up with 6 merps in a row, leading to a 6-0 score), and the men's final was close and good, but it was pretty technical (not a lot of 50-50 puts). We watched from one of the endzones and it was really great seeing how their offense flowed down the field and how the two teams opened up space differently (revolver vertically, sockeye horizontally). Would have loved to have had live commentary on structure and players.
Monster

PostPosted: Tue, 08.26.14 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one more thing. I was walking across the field complex one day and I saw a weird plaid jersey off in the distance. As I got closer I realized it was the Ls jersey from a few years ago and walked up to the guy, who was refilling his water bottle. It turns out it was Dom? Dominique? from Austria who played with you guys for a fall a few years ago. Was really happy to see the LS jersey rocking it out in Italy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: