advanced search

Username:    Password:   

Kickstarter - Ultimate Llama Beanie    Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
auxarc



Joined: 13 Jan 2006
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Fri, 10.31.14 4:00 pm    Post subject: Kickstarter - Ultimate Llama Beanie Reply with quote

If any of you fancy Kickstarter or donating to good causes check out The Ultimate Llama Beanie.The beanie is made from 100% llama wool that is fairly traded with the Aymara in Chile. They are super warm, soft, not itchy, and hypoallergenic. I will have a sample one with me at Harvest if you would like to check it out.

I have had a big hand helping Jorge with the design process and the landing page, and think this is one Kickstarter really worth getting behind. Also, free shipping.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chuck



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 519
Location: Bentonville

PostPosted: Fri, 10.31.14 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do you have to pledge to get some potato salad?

Also, maybe the FDA should run a kickstarter campaign to get enough fields for next year's Harvest!

#toosoon
#gamebyerepeat
_________________
My (first) board game funded for ~$28,000 on Kickstarter last summer!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ROCOBaller



Joined: 22 Sep 2005
Posts: 2079
Location: your mom's house

PostPosted: Wed, 11.05.14 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had more fields, but king kharl wanted to try this format and keep more teams in one location

#knowthefactsbeforeheckling
_________________
i am a princess. meow

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Chuck



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 519
Location: Bentonville

PostPosted: Wed, 11.05.14 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCOBaller wrote:
we had more fields, ...

You and I are using two different interpretations of what it means to "have a field".
The number of fields that we actually used on Saturday is less than that number for last year, right? So you can appreciate where my small mind takes me:
Fewer fields --> fewer bids/teams --> fewer games per team

Maybe I've got some arrows wrong here, but we can debate the finer points of symbolic logic elsewhere.

It seems like you are saying that we had access to more fields, which is a bit misleading as well. We did not have access to TYSON fields, and this is the steam engine at the front of the whole scheduling debacle. You're making it sound like the caboose, but wasn't the lack of access to TYSON (or the realization thereof) the driving force behind the dilemma of [use more fields at many more locations - or - use fewer fields]?

Quote:
#knowthefactsbeforeheckling

Please tell me the facts! (Not that I'm going to delay any heckling...)

Were we planning/hoping/expecting to use TYSON? Did we drop the ball, resulting in a decision between two lesser options (in brackets, above)?

I wouldn't mind making an informed heckle, but right now it just smells like horse shit. I don't mind being pleasantly surprised though!
_________________
My (first) board game funded for ~$28,000 on Kickstarter last summer!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ROCOBaller



Joined: 22 Sep 2005
Posts: 2079
Location: your mom's house

PostPosted: Thu, 11.06.14 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We didn't have Tyson, but did have fields reserved in Rogers once learning that we did not so limited field numbers did not hurt the number of bids given out. king kharl chose not to use them, but they would have given us the same amount as Tyson when added to the number from the college intramural fields. The choice was to try out a different format instead of spreading out geographically further.
_________________
i am a princess. meow

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Chuck



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 519
Location: Bentonville

PostPosted: Sun, 11.09.14 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:

Were we planning/hoping/expecting to use TYSON? Did we drop the ball, resulting in a decision between two lesser options (in brackets, above)?


So, [yes, yes]??

I stand by my original heckle. We screwed up. Can't we just call it what it is (and do better next time)?
_________________
My (first) board game funded for ~$28,000 on Kickstarter last summer!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Elvin



Joined: 17 Apr 2008
Posts: 1246
Location: The Science Department's big Oppenheimer Pinata Party

PostPosted: Mon, 11.10.14 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Chuck"]
Chuck wrote:
We screwed up. Can't we just call it what it is (and do better next time)?


I'm going to have to agree with Chuck here. Harvest was clearly a disaster and the people running it should feel ashamed for being so lazy and incompetent. Next year we should let some of the other hundreds of people always volunteering to sacrifice their time and energy get a shot at it.
_________________
It's hard to get a table for one at Chucky Cheese when you look like I do....Oh, you're out of that? Then just give me Vice President of Ultimate Frisbee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
ROCOBaller



Joined: 22 Sep 2005
Posts: 2079
Location: your mom's house

PostPosted: Tue, 11.11.14 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:


I stand by my original heckle. We screwed up. Can't we just call it what it is (and do better next time)?


Your original heckle was that FDA did not have enough fields:

"Also, maybe the FDA should run a kickstarter campaign to get enough fields for next year's Harvest!"

Perhaps if your original heckle was something like despite the fact that Will and king kharl had a sit down meeting with the rep from Tyson, the rep did not officially get the fields reserved for FDA, so another group in Springdale got them. The FDA did fail to follow up and fill out the necessary paperwork for Tyson but felt after the meeting they had them secured so did not do so. Upon learning they did not have Tyson reserved, they reached out to the City of Rogers and got replacement fields in place but chose not to use them because they knew Chuck would not like it.
_________________
i am a princess. meow

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Chuck



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 519
Location: Bentonville

PostPosted: Tue, 11.11.14 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really have no sense of comedy! If I had to expound, in my original heckle, on the nuances of what I think went wrong with the fields, any humor would surely be lost. I'd say you have sufficiently validated me with your replies though.

"The FDA did not secure the use of enough fields within an acceptable distance of each other to host as many teams as it hosted last year, or to put as many games on the Saturday schedule as there were last year. Despite the decrease in this and other measurable amenities, teams were charged the full premium as last year."

Maybe that's what I should have said. Kinda hard to work that into a one-liner though...

On the one hand, I appreciate your willingness to go to bat for the EC, here in our audience of Evan, CMohr, and a few old-timers. But on the other hand, you have taken a light jab and squeezed it for all its worth, revealing a rather disingenuous approach to "the facts" that makes you sound like we *don't* want Tyson. And you're really running roughshod over the spirit of heckling.

If you can honestly say that we provided a better (or at least equal) value this year, compared to past years, so be it. I disagree, but I've only been here five years.

For what it's worth, I think that our plan B was as good as it could get. But can't we agree that we should secure Tyson ASAP, every year? What if we dropped the ball with Lewis one year? Would you seriously be on here trying to destroy my stupid jokes just to save face if we screwed up *that* bad(ly)?
_________________
My (first) board game funded for ~$28,000 on Kickstarter last summer!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Chuck



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 519
Location: Bentonville

PostPosted: Tue, 11.11.14 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elvin wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Chuck wrote:
We screwed up. Can't we just call it what it is (and do better next time)?


I'm going to have to agree with Chuck here. Harvest was clearly a disaster and the people running it should feel ashamed for being so lazy and incompetent. Next year we should let some of the other hundreds of people always volunteering to sacrifice their time and energy get a shot at it.


I wasn't going to feed the trolls, but whatever.

First, (+1) for keeping the spirit of heckling alive.

Second-of-ly, the scope of your hyperbole is a little wide. I'm just trying to shed light on one aspect of the tournament. Maybe a more appropriate exaggeration would be:

"The field situation was clearly a disaster and K4RL should be castrated for giving each team three byes!"

Point taken on the volunteers. Can I count on your vote at the next fda meeting, or is this another time when "IRL Evan" will lack the backbone and vitriol of his online version?
_________________
My (first) board game funded for ~$28,000 on Kickstarter last summer!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Supafunky



Joined: 07 Apr 2003
Posts: 1085
Location: Bentonville

PostPosted: Tue, 11.11.14 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a blast at Harvest. I paid more this year than I did last year, but much less than my peak years (3 day 2 night baby-sitter, 2 nights at the Dickson St. inn, 3 costumes x 2 people, booze at bars Friday and Saturday nights).

Felt like I got my value out of this year's experience, but I'm a make lemonade person. When life gives me lemons. Then mix that lemonade with bourbon or something else that's delicious. Otherwise you get a sour puss just eating lemons.

p.s. - "Your hyperbole is a little wide"
_________________
YOU CAN DO ANYTHING
as long as you have a safe word.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ROCOBaller



Joined: 22 Sep 2005
Posts: 2079
Location: your mom's house

PostPosted: Wed, 11.12.14 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and Tyson is much more expensive, and might not be an option b/c they said we tore up some fields the previous year...which could be why they screwed us over to begin with

see, more facts

in terms of $$ from this year, i don't know. in terms of fun, i got a golf cart
_________________
i am a princess. meow

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
RandomHero



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Posts: 1479

PostPosted: Wed, 11.12.14 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what Chuck said and stuff. Vote Chuck 2015!
_________________
Casey "don't call me boy" Hooper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chuck



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 519
Location: Bentonville

PostPosted: Wed, 11.12.14 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facts??

But seriously April, your "facts" amount to speculation and bad math. Those fields might not be an option because Parks and Rec might be mad at us?? Come ON. If the fields weren't an option, you can't also say that they screwed us over.

And sure, I understand that fields cost more than zero dollars, but I'm operating on the assumption that [more fields --> more teams --> more revenue/profit]. We did have fewer fields (and less revenue/profit) this year, correct?

Here's a little adage that my forefathers passed onto me:
Quote:
Money talks (and bullshit walks).


While I appreciate the dazzling account of these Tyson meetings with the powers that be, I'd like to see the contract that we signed, or a copy of the deposit check that we sent to secure our fields.
What's that? Oh, we "got screwed" because a verbal agreement fell through? Welcome to adulthood!

It's even harder to swallow this steaming pile of shit that you're passing off as "facts", considering that the very tournament in question equates "payment received" with "bid secured". We didn't have the fields, and anyone asking the hard questions several (? Here, I do actually need the facts from you) months ago would have realized this.

Whatever. I fear that in fleshing out a lighthearted jab, I may have obscured my true motive in this, namely: I want to see the FDA improve in participants, events offered, etc. I care, but it probably looks like I'm just being the normal belligerent jackass. There's some of that, sure, but I'm trying to get you to admit that something went wrong. Instead, all I get are excuses and fuzzy logic/math.

Please don't come in here and tell me that we didn't want Tyson. We wanted Tyson. Then, if you refuse to accept responsibility (on behalf of K-doe/Jones/Will or whoever dropped the ball), I guess I won't argue with you. We acted in good faith and took reasonable steps to secure the fields that we wanted, so we could offer the number of games to the number of teams we wanted. Sure.

----
Jody, I had a blast also! I can't really speak to the value of the weekend as a whole, especially because the total cost varies so wildly from team to team.

And while I appreciate your optimism, it's worth mentioning that the notion of "someone is getting LEMONS (a bad thing, in context)" is implicit in your use of the expression "when life gives you lemons...".

I believe that we, the local disc community, sent some "lemons" out this year, as described above (fewer games, TRBL schedule). I hope that we can provide a better experience, albeit on paper, in future years.

----
(Don't call me) Boy, maybe I *will* run for office. Would you be my campaign manager? Our main issue will be lemons, so maybe we could run as the Lemon Party? See if there are any good domain names that we could snatch up.

Oh, and we're gonna need to promote the new Dividing Line Disc Organization. Maybe set up a debate between Evan, Naseer, and myself?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ROCOBaller



Joined: 22 Sep 2005
Posts: 2079
Location: your mom's house

PostPosted: Thu, 11.13.14 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my point is that you criticized the FDA for not getting tyson without even knowing what happened behind the scenes, and also assumed that b/c we didn't have tyson we couldn't bring in the same amount of teams, which was not true. (i say we, but i didn't even help with harvest this year other than getting the fields in rogers.)

we considered pushing back on tyson and even threatening them with a revenue lost statement if we didn't replacement fields (knowing nothing would come of it). in the end, we acknowledged that since we never sent in the paperwork and did nothing more than the sit down meeting with verbal confirmation, we didn't have a leg to stand on. So there you are correct, we messed up in not securing Tyson properly and I never said no one wanted it. But I'd like to point out the fact that we've only used Tyson for 2 Harvests ever, so the lack of those fields does not make or break Harvest.

also, in the past, the year i was involved that brought in the most teams did not bring in the most revenue. so your assumptions there are wrong also. more teams don't necessarily equal more money. Your math assumptions fail to include that more teams also mean more costs (field food, risk of more unsold merch, dinner, beer, etc). I don't know what the results from this year are yet, or if there were even several teams that wanted bids that didn't get them.

You are the one speculating. Last time I checked, you haven't had access to any FDA data unless you've been to EC meetings I don't know about? If you want to see the FDA improve, then get involved when your oh so caring heart can make a difference, not after the fact. A very few amount of people work very hard to do all the events the FDA does. People did take their personal time to sit down with Tyson. The fact that they didn't realize that they needed to do more to secure fields due to their inexperience with the city of Springdale was a hard lesson learned. The problem is they know now, but are less likely to be involved in the future with the FDA b/c their every move gets criticized by belligerent jackasses guising their criticisms as desires to improve the process. Instead, a new person will have to step up who can likely make the same mistakes over again.
_________________
i am a princess. meow

i tend to think of myself as one woman wolf pack


Last edited by ROCOBaller on Thu, 11.13.14 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LS-ultimate.com Forum Index -> Forum GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Designed by: Powered by: © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group